If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

AWD Maintence: Part 1

cotter
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by cotter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:18 am

So I have come down with the dreaded Traction Control light and that lead me here...

I decided to change the fluids, since Ford's lifetime is't going to cut it (thanks guys). My Ford dealer scratched their heads, and the local independant Volvo place never called me back... I was able to find the Haldex oil locally at the Volvo delereship ($36 wow!) but they did not have the filter. I went ahead and replaced the fluid in the Haldex and the old oil looked like coffee at 140,000 miles (got about 16oz out). I ordered the filter and another 2 rounds of Haldex oil online and will change it once the parts arrive. My TC light is still on at this point.

My question is about the pump in the Haldex unit, does it run all the time or simply on demand? Peraps a test run on start up to show the error and keep the TC light illuminated? Can it be tested in car? How about reversing the polarity to stir the oil up while in car? I may be barking up the wrong tree altogether for the light but it needed done anyways, unless I want to be at the end of the lifetime of my car. Is there a Volvo part # for the pump that I missed?

I did change the PTU fluid (looked low and dirty but not terrible, got about 8oz out) also but ran out of time before the rear differential so I will get that when I do the Haldex oil and filter. Used M1 Synthetic in the PTU.

Thanks to all for the good write up!

HHR
Regular Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by HHR » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:56 pm

cotter wrote:So I have come down with the dreaded Traction Control light and that lead me here... I decided to change the fluids, since Ford's lifetime is't going to cut it (thanks guys)...
You can see if the pump runs by unhooking the connector from the module and sticking a couple paper clips in the connector (pump side). Run a couple jumper wires from a battery to the clips. The pump will run in both directions, so polarity isn't critical when testing. If the motor runs, let it run 15 seconds or so. My friend's faulty pump would run but would then slow and stop.

Here is the thread I started earlier this year:
viewtopic.php?t=6542

Jcholpuch
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by Jcholpuch » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Jack/all

Attempting to test and repair my haldex and have an easy question.

How do you remove the pump and other connector on the dem?
These are not typical ford connections.

I had a similar experience. Dealer did not know how to test and diagnose this issue.

Thanks
- JC

HHR
Regular Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by HHR » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:39 pm

You just squeeze the connector. It's easier than it looks.

Jcholpuch
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by Jcholpuch » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Tested the pump and it failed to run for over a minute.
Will be looking for tips on the driveshaft removal for pump replacement.

HHR
Regular Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by HHR » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:18 am

Jcholpuch wrote:Tested the pump and it failed to run for over a minute.
Will be looking for tips on the driveshaft removal for pump replacement.
I used large pipe wrench on the round driveshaft flange to hold it while loosening the bolts (My bolts were T45 torx head). I used a channel lock pliers to remove the exhaust hangers.

caronw
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by caronw » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

OK everyone is talking about AWD maintenance..........what is wrong when AWD not kicking in. Front wheels spin. Please help!!!

HHR
Regular Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by HHR » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 am

caronw wrote:OK everyone is talking about AWD maintenance..........what is wrong when AWD not kicking in. Front wheels spin. Please help!!!
It could be a problem with the pump on the AWD Haldex unit, the controller module (DEM), pressure switch or a plugged filter.
Usually the traction control light will come on and you will get an "AWD Malfunction" message when there is a problem. Do a search on the forum for "Haldex." lots of threads on the subject.
It is unlikely that the actual AWD coupler or clutches are bad.
The first test I did is to unplug the charge pump from the DEM module and run jumper wires from a battery to it to see if the pump runs smoothly without slowing or stopping.

Jcholpuch
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by Jcholpuch » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:31 pm

FYI, got my AWD working again by replacing the Haldex Fluid, Filter, and Pump.
Ford dealer had no idea how to troubleshoot or repair this system aside from replacing the entire AOC for $5k + labor.

Thanks for all the help on the forum!

jendfitz
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by jendfitz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:48 pm

So I'm trying to check my pump in haldex after replacing fluids and the bolt is stripped. Smh! So I have two questions that can hopefully be answered. How does the haldex unit come off so that we can get the stripped bolt out...are there gaskets that will need replaced? and second, is the pressure switch and pump two different units and does anyone have part numbers bc google is not being user friendly with this. Thanks in advance! :)

HHR
Regular Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by HHR » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:24 pm

jendfitz wrote:So I'm trying to check my pump in haldex after replacing fluids and the bolt is stripped. Smh! So I have two questions that can hopefully be answered. How does the haldex unit come off so that we can get the stripped bolt out...are there gaskets that will need replaced? and second, is the pressure switch and pump two different units and does anyone have part numbers bc google is not being user friendly with this. Thanks in advance! :)
Pressure switch and pump are two different units. the pressure switch is beneath the rectangular control box off to the side of the unit and the pump is on the front of the unit "trapped" by the driveshaft flange. Haldex unit comes off with the bigger bolts i think the unit is sealed with a big o-ring, so you should be fine with removing and reinstalling the unit. Pump part numbers are Volvo part numbers: 30783079 or 8689664. I don't have the pressure switch part number.

jendfitz
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by jendfitz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:49 am

HHR wrote:
jendfitz wrote:So I'm trying to check my pump in haldex after replacing fluids and the bolt is stripped. Smh! So I have two questions that can hopefully be answered. How does the haldex unit come off so that we can get the stripped bolt out...are there gaskets that will need replaced? and second, is the pressure switch and pump two different units and does anyone have part numbers bc google is not being user friendly with this. Thanks in advance! :)
Pressure switch and pump are two different units. the pressure switch is beneath the rectangular control box off to the side of the unit and the pump is on the front of the unit "trapped" by the driveshaft flange. Haldex unit comes off with the bigger bolts i think the unit is sealed with a big o-ring, so you should be fine with removing and reinstalling the unit. Pump part numbers are Volvo part numbers: 30783079 or 8689664. I don't have the pressure switch part number.

Ordered pump and switch and plan to do the work this week. Do you know where to obtain the torque specifications for the driveshaft? I'm also being told that the yoke will need to be removed and the torque for that piece is important but, again, I cannot find information online. None of the part stores around me have a Haynes manual for the Freestyle either. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am supposed to drive 2000 miles this weekend and would like to have it fixed before then. Thanks!

Jack Watts
Regular Member
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 am

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:00 pm

The driveshaft bolt spec is as follows:

First pass: star pattern, 10NM
Second pass: star pattern, 25NM

Note: make sure to mark the bolt position in case they used weighted bolts (I've actually seen this before). Index the shaft and use a piece of cardboard as a template and punch the bolts in there so they don't get knocked out. Otherwise you'll end up having to balance the driveshaft.

The center carrier bearing is 30NM, which is pretty tight. I've had that one come loose after dropping the drive shaft, so don't forget that one.

Hope that helps!

jendfitz
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by jendfitz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:57 am

The center one is the one that needs pulled out with the balancer tool? I so wish that there was a book for this car! Parts ended up having to be ordered after I ordered them from a company and it won't be here until next week so it looks like I am getting a rental to avoid further complications. I love my freestyle but it's really proving a pain to work on lol

Jack Watts
Regular Member
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 am

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by Jack Watts » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:48 pm

jendfitz wrote:The center one is the one that needs pulled out with the balancer tool? I so wish that there was a book for this car! Parts ended up having to be ordered after I ordered them from a company and it won't be here until next week so it looks like I am getting a rental to avoid further complications. I love my freestyle but it's really proving a pain to work on lol
Sorry for the confusion--I'm talking about the center carrier bearing. It's in the middle of the car, where the drive shaft articulates. You need to loosen this in order to drop the shaft. There are two bolts, and going off of memory they're a captured type of bolt--they don't drop out no matter how much you loosen them. Loosen the bracket and it adds slack to the shaft so you can lower it.

As far as torque on the flange bolt (the one that holds the flange to the haldex) I wouldn't worry about a torque value. You'll be holding flange in place and tightening it at the same time--torque will be tough to measure. I'd just make sure to get it tight. It's a bit bolt, so "pretty tight" should work.

As far as the Freestyle being a pain to work on... All I can say is "don't buy an Audi!" I picked up an A3 as a hobby car. I enjoy working on cars, and frankly my Freestyle has been so bereft of problems that I have nothing to do on it. It's a very fun car, but working on it gave me some real perspective on working on the FS. Between all of the specialty tools required, the lack of space and the terrible electrical connectors--it's, well, a bit challenging.

The AWD system on the FS is pretty easy to work on. It's a bummer that you can't access the pump w/out removing the driveshaft, but keep in mind that on some Volvos you can't even access the filter w/o removing the driveshaft. That would suck. If you keep the filter and fluid changed, chances are you'll never have to touch the pump, but given that there are a lot of higher-mileage used FS out there which have probably never been serviced, then pump swaps are inevitable. Since you're changing out the pump, if you change the fluid every 20K and the filter every 40K, I bet the pump will last for as long as you want to keep the vehicle.

Post Reply