If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

AWD Maintence: Part 1

CasualSurveyor

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by CasualSurveyor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:53 pm

From what I can tell, the crush washer for all three AWD driveline applications is Volvo P/N 11998. The nominal dimensions are 18 x 24 x 1.5 mm.

Can anyone confirm?
2008 Taurus X Limited AWD / Merlot Metallic / Medium Light Stone Leather

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 pm

This?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Yes, that's the correct part--and it's the same for all 3. It believe it's also used for Volvo's oil drain plug (on 5 cylinder white block engines), so any local Volvo dealer will have them on hand.

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:05 am

Thanks, Jack! I'm off work this week, so I have plenty of time to do these fluid changes right.

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:03 am

Apparently there's been an update to the Volvo part number for the Haldex AOC fluid. I got the new number from the local Volvo dealer parts counter in Cincinnati.

Original p/n: 1161641
Revised p/n: 30759648
Current p/n: 31325136

I was quoted $23.05 for the new number.

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:03 am

In case anyone loses one of the drain plugs, here are some Volvo drain plug part numbers:

982547 (possibly superseded)
978138 (possibly superseded)
986833 (seems to be current via volvopartswebstore) At $3.99, a slight improvement over Ford's $46!

By the way, pretty good prices there for the Haldex fluid 31325136 ($17.98) and the Haldex filter 30787687 ($20.67).

The crush washer 977751 is $0.70. Not the cheapest but cheap enough to throw on the order with the other stuff.

WhoaTed

Post by WhoaTed » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 am

As Jack mentioned I drilled/tapped for a drain plug on the bevel gear unit, on the bottom of the case a bit toward the rear. Can't recall the thread size right now but it was for a spare Volvo magnetic drain plug (w/crush washer) that I had left over from my Volvos. Makes changing the fluid super easy, adding a drain plug is highly recommended if you have the ability or have a good mechanic do it for you. I'll see if i can get a pic sometime soon, but looking at the drawings in this thread above will clue you in on where NOT to put it re: interference inside.

Make sure that you drill the hole as straight as possible, I added a drain plug to a transfer case on a old truck a long time ago and had to use Permatex on the plug flange to get it to seal since I didn't get it straight enough. Not the end of the world but it wasn't pretty. The case on the FS is aluminum so it drills and taps easily; use a generous amount of cutting oil so the threads will be nicely cut otherwise you'll have issues with bad threads after the plug is removed a few times. Stuff they don't teach you in college, ha.
Take care,
Ted

'07 Freestyle LTD AWD
'04 Volvo V70 T5 (SOLD)
'95 Alfa 164LS Sedan
'82 Lancia Zagato
'74 Fiat 124 Spider
'01 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 (for "truck stuff")

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:54 am

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the drain plug tapping tips. I think this is something I can do and would like to attempt. I have installed a Time-Sert http://www.timesert.com/ in my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica oil drain pan after a Valvoline Instant Oil guy stripped the aluminum threads in the pan. This involved drilling and tapping the aluminum pan with the drill/tap provided in the Time-Sert kit. By the way, the Time-Sert solution is excellent if you ever run into this problem. The resultant threads are very strong and will not strip out again. Plus, it allows you to continue using a standard-size drain plug instead of an oversized plug.

I ordered up a spare Volvo 986833 plug / Volvo 977751 washer for this purpose. My plan was to check what thread size/pitch it is and then purchase the proper drill/tap set.

I'm still not perfectly clear where to make the new drain hole, so any pics of a successful modification would be much appreciated.

ElbowJoe

Post by ElbowJoe » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 am

I second the comments about Timesert! It is an awesome product for fixing those bonehead quick oilchange mistakes! I found this issue doing my first oilchange after buying the car. I installed a Timesert on my Freestyle and it works perfectly! Kinda pricey, but you get several inserts with the kit. I only plan on doing this one time so I should post the remaining kit for others to use on Ebay I guess.

Anyway, I too am interested in a safe location for a drain hole to make this job easier. I will be looking forward to pics so I can determine if I want to take the plunge on this or just suck it out.

Thanks to all who have continued to comment on this!
2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD
1968 Chevrolet Camaro 454

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Well, well, well! After putting the car up on ramps at all four corners and taking a good look, I am not at all sure that my 2008 Taurus X AWD has the same Volvo/Haldex AWD system that the Freestyle cars have!

Here are some photos of the rear portion of the AWD drivetrain.

Japanese driveline component manufacturer JTEKT supplied the Intelligent Torque Control Coupling (ITCC) bolted to the front of the Dana open rear differential:

Dana open rear differential cover showing upper vent and fill plug:

View of Dana open rear differential looking forward:

View of the rear JTEKT ITCC unit looking straight up at it:

Another view of Dana open rear differential looking forward:

Closeup of the JTEKT ITCC:

And here are some photos of the front portion of the AWD drive train.

Output shaft that goes back towards the rear of the car. This shaft is driven at all times:

Driver's side halfshaft going to front left wheel:

Passenger side intermediate shaft going toward right front wheel; PTU fill plug location:

Another view of the full-time PTU output shaft that goes towards rear of car; PTU fill plug visible on right side:

Closeup of the PTU fill plug that is on the passenger side of the PTU:

Another view of the PTU output shaft that goes towards the rear of the car:

FedEx just delivered a set of service manuals that I found on eBay. Guess I have some reading time ahead of me!
Last edited by CasualSurveyor on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Just dug into the service manuals. This AWD system is a completely different beast.

The "Intelligent AWD" system consists of the following:

• Power Transfer Unit (PTU)
  • Rear Driveshaft
  • 4X4 Control Module (coupling device control module)
  • Rear Axle/Differential with Intelligent Torque Control Coupling (ITCC)

As far as lubricating fluids go, the manual is calling for:
  • Power Transfer Unit (PTU): Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant, XY-75W140-QL (US); CXY-75W140-1L (Canada). Fill plug P/N not listed.
  • Rear Differential (Model 60/70 Axles): Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant, XY-80W90-QL(US); CXY-80W90-1L (Canada). Fill plug is listed as Ford P/N 4N282.
The ITCC is described as a a full-time fluid drive coupling. This active torque coupling is installed new as an assembly with the rear axle/differential.

It looks like other than external seals, there are no serviceable parts inside the PTU, the ITCC, or the Rear Axle/Differential.

There is this odd note regarding the PTU: "NOTE: The PTU is not to be drained unless a leak is suspected. To drain the PTU fluid, the PTU must be removed from the vehicle. The fluid that is drained may appear black and have a pungent odor. Do not mistake this for contaminated fluid."

The PTU section also has this to say regarding checking the fill level:

"NOTE: Fill level checks are done in-vehicle only. Let the vehicle sit 10 minutes after the road test before checking the fluid level. 1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. 2. Clean the area around the fill plug before removing. 3. Remove and discard the fill plug. 3. With the vehicle on a flat level surface, fill the PTU with lubricant. The fluid level must be even with the bottom of the fill opening. Fluid capacity is 0.53L (18 oz). 5. Install a new fill plug. Tighten t 20 Nm (15 ib-ft)."

They make a point of saying to use a new fill plug on the PTU, but they do not list the P/N.

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:57 am

masondoctorjt

Post by masondoctorjt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:17 am

So does the jtekt coupling have oil that can be changed, or is it a sealed unit? Should I just change the rear diff fluid and not worry about the coupling? Thanks for the info provided so far!

CasualSurveyor

Post by CasualSurveyor » Mon May 05, 2014 6:52 pm

masondoctorjt wrote:So does the jtekt coupling have oil that can be changed, or is it a sealed unit? Should I just change the rear diff fluid and not worry about the coupling? Thanks for the info provided so far!
You're welcome. As far as I can tell, the JTEKT ITCC is not serviceable and is sealed for life. Consequently, I just changed the rear differential fluid and left the ITCC unit alone. Probably it would wear out someday (assuming you did a lot of driving on snow/ice/sand) and simply be replaced in whole.

jpz

Post by jpz » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Well I finally had time to drill into the PTU and make a drain hole. I'm proud to say everything went well. Drilled using the existing bolt hole, which surprisingly took about 2" before I was through. Drained the PTU, and then filled it back up.

Now I can sleep better at night knowing that all of the fluids have been changed on her.