If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

AWD Maintence: Part 1

gcp

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by gcp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Any updates tp the write-ups above? I am getting ready to change the fluids on the wife's AWD. Joe, did you ever do a PDF file on your directions? If so I'd sure appreciate the link.

Great info guys, thanks a bunch!
gcp

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Sorry, I never did get around to doing the PDF write-up. One of these days...

Some things I'd add:

-for the front PTU, access it from the front. It's quite a bit easier.

-warning!!**use clear PVC vinyl tubing versus rubber**. I read about one guy who managed to break a piece of rubber tubing off in his bevel gear. Yeah, unlikely, but I had a hard time fishing it out, so this would be some good insurance. They have it at any home improvement store. I also found that using a MityVac did actually work a little better for evacuating the fluid

-a loose 4mm allen key and a a ball-head t-handle allen really help when installing the Haldex filter:

-You have to have patience when fishing the tubing into the haldex unit. Eventually I was able to get out 16 oz or so, but it took some manipulating of the tubing. Same with the front PTU. With the rear diff, I got it all out on the first shot.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Maybe some other folks who've done it can chime in.

gcp

Post by gcp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:30 am

As an update, after trying to execute the fluid swap I found that my FS's fluid was absolutely clean and did not require change at 144K miles so I left well enough alone. The only fluid I swapped was the rear differential and that's because I had already drained it. Fluid was as in new condition so I don't understand why some remain so clean and some become so dirty.
gcp

Jaimster

Post by Jaimster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:30 am

I have an 06 AWD with 106K miles on it. I haven't had the fluids drained and filled on the PTU and Haldex units yet. I live in south Texas and we don't get much snow/ice or rain for that matter. We didn't set out looking for an AWD vehicle it was just a bonus as my wife feel in love with the slightly used FS once she drove it. My question is, Does the AWD system engauge or work just as much in dry conditions as it would in slippery conditions found further up north? I suspect not, but I dont want to ignore the fluids if there is a chance it could do some permanente damage if ignored. I only question this because of the update gcp made above.

Any input is appreciated.
2006 Limited, AWD, 109K miles
All options exept nav

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:35 pm

The AWD is always engaged; you're always sending about 5% of the power to the rear wheels, so the front PTU and rear differential are always moving. You'll want to replace those fluids, for sure. The Haldex fluid and filter are probably seeing less use, but you'll still want to replace them. It comes on more than you'd think, even on dry pavement (normally when doing low-speed turning).

At worst case, you could always disconnect the system and just run it in FWD if parts started failing, but it's probably best just to replace the fluids. Even in rain on slick roads the system can be activated, and it helps greatly with reducing/eliminating wheel spin. I'll admit, I am surprised of the condition of gcp's fluid, and I do drive in the snow a fair bit during the winter. Worst case, you'll have spent a couple of hours and few bucks on fluid.

gcp

Post by gcp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:15 am

Jack, I was surprised also because after reading the posts on this thread I was expecting nothing but sludge to come out but the fluids looked so good you'd think the car had 14,000 miles on it and not 140,000.

But I am further interested in your statement of disconnecting the AWD capability, how would one do that?
gcp

Jaimster

Post by Jaimster » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks for the input Jack. I am curious about the condition of the fluid and will post my results as soon as I can get to it. Just off hand do you have the part number for the filter?
2006 Limited, AWD, 109K miles
All options exept nav

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 am

Jaimster wrote:Thanks for the input Jack. I am curious about the condition of the fluid and will post my results as soon as I can get to it. Just off hand do you have the part number for the filter?
Yep, it's as follows: 30787687. The fluid has a new part number, 31325136. Those are both Volvo PN's, you can pick up this at a Volvo dealer locally or online.

http://amzn.to/2iQ4GGc

coachbland

Post by coachbland » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Jack, or others, I have a couple questions.
I've had the AWD Malfunction warning for a week or two, so I decided to follow this thread and change the AWD fluids.

1st question... how do you know when the car is level? I have a sloped driveway and if I put my ramps on the lower end of my drive, the car looks pretty level. But is there a way to check how level? I got out my 2ft level, but didn't really know where to check. I put it on the bottom trim of the drivers door, and it showed a little off.

The 2nd question is related to the first. I tried to empty the front PTU, but didn't get the hose in very far and 0 fluid came out. If it is supposed to be filled to the bottom of the hole, shouldn't I have got at least some out?

Any thoughts would be great!

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 am

-I'm in the same boat. I have a sloped driveway and I put ramps on the "down" part. I just use an eyeball and go with "good enough". I don't think it's that critical. If you really want to know though, use an 6-8' 2"x4" and hold it against the center of each wheel and put your small level on top. I don't think that's necessary, though.

-yeah, you should have gotten *something* out of there. BTW, the smaller the tubing, the better when fishing it through there. I'd use the smallest OD tubing you can and put a reducer on there. If you suck it out when it's warm, that'll help it flow better (but be careful not to burn yourself). I just did it again about a month ago and I got out about 12 oz. I've gotten out as much as 18 oz or so.

DoubleX

Post by DoubleX » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 am

I just changed all the AWD Fluids on our 2006 with 75K miles last weekend. It is very hard to get a tube into the PTU! I ended up using a piece of plastic vacuum tube from an old car that is about 1/8" OD. I can see where a tube could get stuck and break in there. Of course it was the coldest day of the year and I couldn't get the fluid to pump out using a Mighty-Vac hand pump so I replaced it with my Harbor freight A/C vacuum pump. That sucked it right out. I pulled out about 580 ml and put about 750 ml back in to fill it.
The Haldex fluid was black and the filter had some sludge in the bottom of the housing. The new Volvo filter came with an aluminum cover that has fins on it for cooling and new bolts.
To pump the fluid back in I used a hand transfer pump from Advance auto, Part #W1141. Originally I thought for $5.99 it would be crap but it worked excellent.
Thanks for all the great help and advice this site offers.

Lumpman

Post by Lumpman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe this is a pretty good link to a Volvo site explaining with pictures the Haldex fluid change...at least for a Volvo. Although the Haldex should be the same, the underside shown is for a Volvo. Rear diff should be different too.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... hp?t=30549

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:45 am

The Volvo writeup, that one and some other earlier ones, are how I figured out how to do the fluids on the FS AWD; however, the fill plugs aren't in the same place on the Haldex and rear differential and they don't mention the Haldex filter on any of those write-ups. The Haldex unit is sorta "ambidextrous", and it has multiple locations for where the fill bolts can be installed by the OEM. Unfortunately, even my printing of the factory manual got it wrong, so I just had to wing it. So, I'd go with info on this thread first.

Most who've change the filter have had some wet clutch chunks pour out while changing it, so I think changing it is a good idea. Since I've changed all of the fluids a couple of times since the original write-up, here's what I've decided on for maintenance intervals:

-front PTU: partial drain/fill (12 oz or so) every 20K or full drain/fill every 50-60K (hard to do unless you install a drain plug or do multiple drain/fills)

-Hadex unit: drain/fill every 20K, filter every 40K (this was the original recommendation from Haldex)

-rear differential: 50-60K with a synthetic, 30-40K with conventional (it's easy to use the same lube for the front and rear, so using a syn makes sense)

This is very unscientific, just going by color and condition--and it's probably a bit conservative. I suspect the front and rear could go longer, though my PTU and rear diff fluid looked horrible @ 90K. For sure though, the Haldex fluid/filter should be changed or you're up for expensive repairs. Almost all of the problems on here are fluid-related, so spending a little money and time on it seems like a good idea.

Speaking of AWD, I just spent a few days driving the car in some snow and ice around some very steep places while out xc skiing. Even with all season tires this car is an absolute beast in the snow. I got up some really questionable terrain with zero detectable wheel slip. The Haldex system worked flawlessly. I'm really impressed with how well it works. With real winter tires this car would be unstoppable in the snow.

Lumpman

Post by Lumpman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Lining up the parts to do my AWD fluids, the latest part #'s I get for my '05 are...

Haldex Fluid: Volvo 31325136 (formerly 1161641 and 30759648)
Haldex Filter: Volvo 30787687 (includes filter, o-ring, and new finned cap)

Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 for PTU and Rear Diff.

Does that check?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Lumpman wrote:Lining up the parts to do my AWD fluids, the latest part #'s I get for my '05 are...

Haldex Fluid: Volvo 31325136 (formerly 1161641 and 30759648)
Haldex Filter: Volvo 30787687 (includes filter, o-ring, and new finned cap)

Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 for PTU and Rear Diff.

Does that check?
Yep, all looks good--those are the current part numbers.