If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

AWD Maintence: Part 1

jendfitz

Re: AWD Maintence: Part 1

Post by jendfitz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 am

Yeah, I don't know if this vehicle was serviced or not. I bought it used and got a great deal since it had not been in the service garage yet. It has been very good to me but having to drop the driveshaft to get to the pump is a pain. My boyfriend and step father are doing the work and they were worried about the torque specs for the part that needs removed with the puller. I love my FS so I want everything put back correctly so nothing else breaks. I have quite a bit of money in it after replacing control arms, struts, tie rods, etc. and would like to hang on to it for as long as possible.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:55 pm

I really appreciate this thread. I clearly need to try to change the fluids in my AWD system on my 2006 Five Hundred (I sort of wish we got the Freestyle instead, but that is history). The thing that I do not know how to do well is to get my vehicle onto four jack stands. I like working on my Honda van because I can use a central lift point on each end to put the vehicle on jack stands. I do not know how to put my Ford on stands since the only points that the manual says I can lift on are also the points I need to put the stand under.

It appears that changing the fluids in the AWD system is less of a hassle than changing the CVT fluid and filter (which I have done). I hope that is the case and I am not missing anything (except, perhaps, the difficulty of getting the fluid out of the PTO).

Thanks for any information.

Thanks for being a very informative forum.

HHR

Post by HHR » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Mursili wrote:I really appreciate this thread. I clearly need to try to change the fluids in my AWD system on my 2006 Five Hundred (I sort of wish we got the Freestyle instead, but that is history). The thing that I do not know how to do well is to get my vehicle onto four jack stands. I like working on my Honda van because I can use a central lift point on each end to put the vehicle on jack stands. I do not know how to put my Ford on stands since the only points that the manual says I can lift on are also the points I need to put the stand under.

It appears that changing the fluids in the AWD system is less of a hassle than changing the CVT fluid and filter (which I have done). I hope that is the case and I am not missing anything (except, perhaps, the difficulty of getting the fluid out of the PTO).

Thanks for any information.

Thanks for being a very informative forum.
I found that the easiest way to get the car in the air is to drive the front wheels up on ramps then use a bottle jack under the rear differential brace/mount. I then put jack stands under the rear bumper supports/frame horns. It's a little tricky to get the car high enough, but you can stack blocks of lumber under the jack and jack stands.

jendfitz

Post by jendfitz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Happy to say that the sensor and pump change got rid of our light! :) FYI...when the driveshaft needs rotated to remove the bolts, we only lifted the front passenger wheel which allowed it to turn. We did not lift all four wheels. As for all the fluids, they just squeezed underneath the car without lifting it...it was tight but possible. Hope everyone else has luck with this too!

HHR

Pump not worth repairing

Post by HHR » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:26 pm

I disassembled a Haldex pre-charge pump out of a Montego with 100K on it today. Took out the motor and pulled the brush holder, armature etc.
Was hoping that I could find a new housing seal, replace the brushes and It would work for another 100K miles, but the armature was severely worn, and the oil that leaked past the seal had dissolved the adhesive/glue holding the permanent magnets to the motor case leaving them free and loose. Since I have it apart, I could spend the $140 for the replacement motor & seal kit on ebay or bite the bullet and get the whole pump. I am very surprised that this motor is a brush-style motor since it runs continuously whenever the engine is running. They should have used a brushless motor. ImageImageImageImageImage

Price05freestyle

Post by Price05freestyle » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:17 pm

AMAZING THREAD!!!!!!! I recently bought a 05 freestyle 120xxx after 20 days I had to clean the throttle body as it surged and went into limp mode....this forum saved me there... With that being said recently on cold starts I noticed the dreaded tc light... As with a lot of people on here even on a 65 degree day(today) after sitting for 8 hrs at work the lights on...turn off drive home no light this happened for first time several weeks ago and intermittently since with same symptoms. Is it wishful thinking jack and others that since I drove it for three months before I had this problem that I may be A. at the beginning stages of a gunky fluid prob meaning a change should fix and B. WHAT IS EVERYONES OPINION WHO HAS WORKED ON AOC THAT DRILLING A DRAIN PLUG IN CASING IS EASIER?????

HHR

Post by HHR » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Since drilling a drain plug, I have used it about 8 times and I am glad I did. Makes draining the fluid a snap.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:22 pm

I did not end up drilling out a drain plug, I've just sucked it out with a vacuum pump. My experience:

front PTU: giant pain to remove fluid w/a vacuum pump, sometime get 1/3 of the fluid out and have to repeat several times

rear differential: I got almost all of the fluid out first shot, very easy w/a pump

Haldex unit: hit and miss. Sometimes I've gotten almost all of it out w/a vacuum pump, sometimes not. luck of the draw on how the tube goes in.

Note: if the Haldex fluid is really bad, I'd do the filter as well.

good luck!

xvert

Post by xvert » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:59 am

Jack Watts wrote: front PTU: giant pain to remove fluid w/a vacuum pump, sometime get 1/3 of the fluid out and have to repeat several times!
This is strange. I removed the PTU oil twice using a medical syringe, like this
It is simple and fast. I drained 100% oil, but the engine must be hot to the tube penetrate into the PTU. I have another problem: it is demanded almost 1 liter of oil to fill PTU up, but not 0.9l.

Price05freestyle

Post by Price05freestyle » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Ok jack one more thing I found 31325136 fluid in 1 liter bottle how many should I get ? 30787687 for the filter kit for an 05 fs correc also pics were unavailable lookinf for two allen head bolts by black strut bar one towads front is haldex fill correct?t....sitting in cart on eBay just double checking weather is getting colder happening more often some days not....thx again if anybody is down [email protected] is email

jpz

Post by jpz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:53 pm

I drilled the drain hole in my PTU and it was so easy I was frustrated at how long I fought trying to pump it out. Now I get a full fluid change, which is always nice.

I have drained the Haldex, and rear diff using the pump. Rear diff was simple, and I was able to remove most if not all fluid. Haldex was a little more difficult, and I'm debating on drilling a drain for that one next time I do the fluid.

Montegoman

Post by Montegoman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Hello everyone. I have a 2005 Mercury Montego with the code P1889. The Ford dealership replaced the rear end on mine three years ago with a used one from salvage to save me some money, but it also died a little over a year later due to P1889. I've been driving it since then just wondering what to do about it. It was intermittent, but now it is on all the time. Every so often the AWD will function for a few seconds up to maybe a minute before it throws the message and light again. Could it be just the oil changed and the filter? Is this something my mechanic would be familiar with doing or would I have to go to the dealership and get reamed? Thank you for your help.

Montegoman

Post by Montegoman » Wed May 04, 2016 6:48 am

Please, if anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

mikeincanada

Post by mikeincanada » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Here is an update to the Volvo Part Numbers ....

Haldex Oil - 31367941 (31325136)(30759648)(1161641)
http://amzn.to/2jS134h

Filter assy - 30787687
http://amzn.to/2iQ9Phf

Fill Plug Sealing Washer - 977751

p.s. Pump: http://amzn.to/2iHrNYd

mikeincanada

Post by mikeincanada » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:47 am

Using the Volvo parts in the previous post, I just had the Haldex Filter and Fluid changed. The "Drain Plug" was installed as per the "YouTube" method. The car drives noticeably quieter ...... I have no idea if the Haldex has ever been serviced before. I supplied the parts and the Garage charged C$90 for labour.
I would like to know of a better drain plug installation. Any proven ideas?
The PTU/Bevel Gear is next .....