If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ford Freestyle - Headlight Assembly Removal

BouvToTheMax

Ford Freestyle - Headlight Assembly Removal

Post by BouvToTheMax » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 pm

After searching the site I found a few threads about removing the front headlight assembly. A few users stated that you needed to remove the front bumper to remove the whole head light assembly. Here is what my father and I did this afternoon on my mother's 06 Ford Freestyle SEL.

Step 1: Remove lower bumper screws (Requires Philips screw driver and 5/16 socket)

Step 2: Remove upper bumper screws (Requires Philips screw driver and 5/16 socket)

Step 3: Remove internal bumper nuts that connect bumper with wheel housing shroud (Requires 7/16 socket) Best way to remove these is by laying on the ground and reaching up just infront of the tire.

Step 4: Remove the top 2 screws from the headlight assembly (Requires 10mm socket)

Step 5: Remove left screw on the lower headlight assembly (Requires 10mm socket) Best to remove laying on the ground reaching up.

Step 6: Remove right screw on the lower headlight assembly (Requires 8mm box end wrench) Best to remove laying on the ground reaching up just like you removed the nuts in Step 3.

Step 7: Remove your headlight assembly.

Good luck when you try it yourself.

Wheelman

Re: Ford Freestyle - Headlight Assembly Removal

Post by Wheelman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Curiosity killed the cat. Why did you remove the head light assembly? Was it Damaged?

BouvToTheMax

Post by BouvToTheMax » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:51 am

Driving home two nights ago when my mom turned on her brights the light bulb shattered inside the lens. So we had to remove the lens so we could fish a hose inside to suck up all the glass shards. That's why we removed the whole headlight assembly.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:55 pm

I have never heard of that happening before, very unusual. Would you not have been able to put a hose through the bulb socket and suck out the shards with a vacuum without taking out the headlight? Thanks for the info. Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back. (9 lives).

Homey237

Post by Homey237 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:00 am

The most likely cuslprit is not having kept your (or installers) hands off the bulb when it was installed or it was not cleaned with rubbing alcohol prior to being reassembled. The excessive heat buildup on dirty bulb element(s) will cause it to burst.

Splicer

Post by Splicer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 pm

ANyone have any pics or video how to remove the front bumper cover? I have a broken headlight mount I need to replace.
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 3015,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 303,000+ :) Murdered 12.24.2019
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 135,000+ :mrgreen: