If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

[walkthrough] How to replace an alternator on a Freestyle

ChBenson

Re: [walkthrough] How to replace an alternator on a Freestyl

Post by ChBenson » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Thank you everyone. This page saved me $300. Without this site I would never have been able to get this done with all the things you can't see.

Turbozombie

Post by Turbozombie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm

ChBenson wrote:When you say "re-teach the computer after the battery has been disconnected, it's explained in the user manual." What user manual are you refering to? Vehicle? Repair Manual? Alternator Manual?

Thank you. I am going to replace my alternator. At this point my only concern is "re-teaching the computer" I have no idea how to do this.
From the owners manual:

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance. To begin this process:

1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the
engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Release the parking brake. With your foot on the brake pedal and with
the A/C on, put the vehicle in D (Drive) and allow the engine to idle for
at least one minute.
7. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
• The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to
relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
• If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle
quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle
trim is eventually relearned.
2006 Freestyle

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Follow the instructions today, and the job went well. It was much easier than it looked from the location of the alternator and the tight spaces. The only error in the instructions that I noticed was that the ratchet used on belt tensioner needs to be set to loosen (instead of tighten as mentioned in the instructions).

jackinct

Post by jackinct » Sat May 04, 2013 4:57 pm

I know this is an old thread but I just had to replace my alternator today and these instructions made it almost easy to do.
Thanks again to this forum which saved me oodles of money and time dealing with a dealer.

Glspeers

Post by Glspeers » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:17 am

Unbelievable , thanks for taking the time to post this , couldn't have done it without these instructions , wasn't easy but I did it and saved a ton of money thanks again

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Replaced my alternator today as well. 2005 Freestyle with front air at 105,000 miles. Purchased with 82,000 about 1 year ago. Appeared original to vehicle. Purchased remanufactured alternator from Advance Auto online with discount code.
ToughOne Alternator - Remanufactured - 130 Amps Part No. P8536 $139.99
Core Charges $60.00
Discounts: -$42.00
Tax: $9.48
Total: $167.47
-Core Charges $60.00
Total: $107.47 with lifetime warranty.....

Instructions were helpful to reference along with the shop manual.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

tradosaurus wrote:I just finished changing out the alternator on my 2005 Freestyle.

I would add that with a work light you can see a little without working blindly if you work under the front passenger wheel well with the tire off and on jackstands. I was able to see the nut to take off one of the wires and see the other wire that plugs in to the alternator.

Additionally you can push back the tensioner pulley with a 1" long open end wrench. The top of the tensioner pulley bracket has a place where the open end 1" wrench will fit just right and someone from the top of the engine compartment can easily push back the tensioner pulley.

I bought my alternator for $135 at O'Reillys. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

Other than that the hardest part for me was figuring out how to put the drive belt back on. :lol:

er, Trado......is this same Alternator usable in cars with rear Air?

knowitall, i would be extremely grateful if you could please help reach him,just in case he doesn't get see this post. :roll:

i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
tradosaurus wrote:I just finished changing out the alternator on my 2005 Freestyle.

I would add that with a work light you can see a little without working blindly if you work under the front passenger wheel well with the tire off and on jackstands. I was able to see the nut to take off one of the wires and see the other wire that plugs in to the alternator.

Additionally you can push back the tensioner pulley with a 1" long open end wrench. The top of the tensioner pulley bracket has a place where the open end 1" wrench will fit just right and someone from the top of the engine compartment can easily push back the tensioner pulley.

I bought my alternator for $135 at O'Reillys. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

Other than that the hardest part for me was figuring out how to put the drive belt back on. :lol:

er, Trado......is this same Alternator usable in cars with rear Air?

knowitall, i would be extremely grateful if you could please help reach him,just in case he doesn't get see this post. :roll:

Leave the poor man alone. You must have run him off.

His wisdom outshines many stars and we could only be so lucky for tradosaurus to grace us with his presence once more.

mbertuola

Post by mbertuola » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:20 am

I know this post is old, but this description was incredible. I just replaced the alternator myself after being quoted $615!

1) I am a beginner with minimal work experience on vehicles, and was still able to complete this easily.

2) I had to get a couple of the tools listed (serpentine belt tool, the proper sockets – cost = $44, but now I have them).

3) Being a beginner I think a 4-hour replacement time is quite acceptable.

4) I bought an alternator from a scrap yard – cost = $45.

5) My total cost = $120 (initial garage testing fee, tools and alternator) + 4 hours of my time.

Thank you so much.

shadetree2011

Post by shadetree2011 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 pm

I cut a one by three 14 inches long and used it to hold the one inch open end wrench that was on the tensioner while I changed the alternator. Put one end on the wrench and the other end next to the radiator.

joeloniphone

Post by joeloniphone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Thank you! I followed your directions and it worked great. Just over 2 hours!

okcstyle

Post by okcstyle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 pm

If you use a serpentine belt removal tool, to can reach under the wheel well with your left hand and remove/install the belt while your right hand pulls the tensioner above the fender, making it a one man job. Of course with the wheel removed. You can remove the bottom right and upper nut to remove the black cover and take it out first, then remove the Left bottom nut/screw to release the alternator and remove it. Doing it this way allows plenty of room to remove. Also don't replace your alternator until you have the regulator checked. 9 out of 10 times the regulator goes out and you can replace it for $25 labor included at any alternator/ starter repair shop. All the part stores will "test" your alternator but they will all show bad if your regulator goes out. Also the PCM controls the regulator, so to do a correct testing of the alternator, you must put a mock pcm controller on to act as the pcm for it to test properly. Generally an alternator never goes out. If the regulator isn't bad than the brushes are probably worn.

Regulator w/Brushes, Ford 4G Alternators - 14032 -$21.68 Motorcraft F50U100359AA, F50U10316A, F50U10C359AB, F50Y10316A, F5OU10316A, F5OU10C359AA, F5OU10C359AB, F5OY10316A, GR815.
$20 on ebay free shipping!
$21.68 from US auto electric
35-208. 35-210
GR815 is the part# at Oreillys. Its a Motorcraft part

Bottom line, take your alternator to an alternator/starter repair shop and it'll cost you way less than buying a new one from the part store, and if the actual alternator is bad, the repair shop normally sells them for less.

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:21 am

So you don't have to remove the drive axle? I had two shops (Sears & Goodyear) tell me the drive axle has to come loose or even removed. Note: I have a 2006 Freestyle Ltd.

kidfam

Re: [walkthrough] How to replace an alternator on a Freestyle

Post by kidfam » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 am

Bought a new Duralast Gold Alternator from Autozone and had it put on by "Bring Your Own Part" a few months ago but it went out a week or so ago.

okcstyle

Re: [walkthrough] How to replace an alternator on a Freestyle

Post by okcstyle » Wed May 04, 2016 8:55 am

Sorry for the late reply, I don't get on this forum often. You do not have to remove or loosen the shaft. Shops will tell you anything to make money, and most charge book rate and not actual time. A good mechanic with experience can remove it quickly. You should be able to figure it out yourself, just take time and think about it when you do it. I've pulled two alternators off my two Freestyles that are different years and both were off within 30 mins, which includes jacking the car up and removing the wheel.