If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Brake job Write-up and pictures

spidy18

Re: Brake job Write-up and pictures

Post by spidy18 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 pm

[quote="Imperial death star] It does take quite a bit of turning to recess the piston back in. I pushed inward and turned at the same time.I didnt count how many turns.[/quote].

spidy18

Post by spidy18 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I didn't count either but quite a few turns does not do it any justice cause I am sure it was close to 500 turns each side maybe it was just me, sp don't expect it to go quickly. I used the break cube tool that looks like the cube from transformers

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:46 am

dear IDS,

thanks for your help always.

do you still have these Brake Pictures that have now been taken off? can you please repost them on page 1 ?

i and the mech did the REAR Brake and Rotor job last friday....getting the Rear Piston back in was hell, we gave up counting after over a 100 turns with no real sign of progress.

he later bled the whole Brake fluid out before making any progress, after guessing on turning directions repeatedly because i couldn't tell him which way, almost leading to a colossal damage to the pistons/brake systems.

your pictures will really guide guys like me in the future please.

thanks again
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:30 pm

When I did my rear brake job on the Freestyle it took me less than 10 turns.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 pm

agreed, remember you had the benefit of the pictures (pictures of tools included).
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:agreed, remember you had the benefit of the pictures (pictures of tools included).
In other words, if you turning the piston more than 10 times you are doing something wrong. :lol:

Also there is a direction arrow on the piston to tell you which way to turn it.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm

knowitall wrote:
Africa_FS_07 wrote:agreed, remember you had the benefit of the pictures (pictures of tools included).
In other words, if you turning the piston more than 10 times you are doing something wrong. :lol:

agreed, i totally forgot about the Arrow until after we were through.......i then remembered this topic, but when i checked just to be sure, no Pictures.

what could be the consequences of "doing something wrong" on those rear Piston?

Imperial Death Star

Post by Imperial Death Star » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Sorry I have been busy and have not been around here recently. Sorry all my pictures were lost on an old computer 2 years ago. Sorry I never backed up these pictures as I didn't think they were important. IDS
2005 FreeStyle SEL AWD - Red Fire-110,000 miles
2001 BMW 530i (Titanium Silver) 129,000 miles
1998 Volvo V70R-(Vader Black)201,000 miles (retired)

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:28 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
knowitall wrote:

agreed, i totally forgot about the Arrow until after we were through.......i then remembered this topic, but when i checked just to be sure, no Pictures.

what could be the consequences of "doing something wrong" on those rear Piston?
You either get the pistons back in or you don't. Have you finished the rear brake job yet?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Africa FS, you must be new to the forum. This comes up about 90% of the time someone does the rear pads on this car...

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=5208

I think that's one of about 40 threads on the subject! Given your location, you can't readily get the tool, so you may want to fabricate something, maybe a c-clamp with the tool you're currently using. Bottom line, you have to exert a LOT of inward force while turning at the same time; otherwise, the piston will just keep spinning.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Jack Watts wrote:Africa FS, you must be new to the forum. This comes up about 90% of the time someone does the rear pads on this car...

.......you have to exert a LOT of inward force while turning at the same time; otherwise, the piston will just keep spinning.........
Yes, fairly new....just about 20 months i think ( period before registration included). :lol:

i admit i had seen this thread a number of times in the past but had never given it a serious read. i also forgot to look it up on the day we did job, i remembered it (with lots of regret) when we started having problems on the Rear.

i wish i knew beforehand that we needed to exert pressure to push it in, we thought turning it on and on was the solution......the noughty pistons kept spinning with no significant inward movement......

argh :oops: , now i'm meat for that man Knowitall :twisted: !!!

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Jack Watts wrote:....Given your location, you can't readily get the tool, so you may want to fabricate something, maybe a c-clamp with the tool you're currently using......
dear Jack, thanks for the link to the thread and the tool.

i went through the tool's details, i see i can use it on several types of cars, so for $40 its a tool worth investing in for the future.....i'll include it in any new Order list i prepare....

06SELAWD

Post by 06SELAWD » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 am

You guys have to think out of the box. I bought the little square tool for $7 at NAPA (local) and was having difficulties getting the pistons back in also. Then the light bulb went off. I knew I had to apply pressure, but that was difficult with just a ratchet and loose caliper, so off to the wood shop. 10 minutes later I had both brakes done. Any idea what I retrieved? I'll give you a hint. Its long and has an adjustable end...............................................bar clamp. the fixed end I held at the back of the piston, and the screw end I could put pressure on my ratchet. so when i tightened my clamp I turned my ratchet. worked like a charm. Only hard part was it could take about 4 hands to hold all in place, but I managed anyway.
Mike
'06 Freestyle SEL AWD
Silver Birch / Gunn metal cladding
'14 Chrysler 300; awd; 3.6L v-6
'17 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn crew cab
5.7L Hemi V-8 Oh Yeah!!
White
1970 VW Beetle
1500cc of pure power
Kubota bx2350

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:33 pm

KAH; Ken, it's not my intention to make excuses for Ford, but your car is in it's 6th year, so a rear brake pads replacement isn't particularly out of the ordinary. Although replacing the rotors probably isn't the norm. However, heavy brake wear is often the result of driving style. Many drivers these days drive as though brake wear is free! And while we hear whinning regularly about the cost of fuel, many drivers could easily save as much as 15% on yearly fuel consumption, by avoiding an aggresive driving style... Other notes on this subject. Some older Honda Accords also have the screw-in style of caliper pistons, although I don't think they are right & left hand. Further on the comments of how hard it is in some cases to get the pistons to retract & concerns about over flow at the master cylinder. Try this, using a suitable container & short small diameter hose that fits the caliper bleeder, (best done with the caliper bolted in position) open the bleeder when retracting the piston, and bleed off some of that old dirty, moisture laden fluid that's in there, and then close the bleeder as soon as the piston is backed off enough. Don't forget to top off the fluid at the MC as needed.. - Paul

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:03 pm

smithmw wrote:The WebMaster re-enabled jpgs, so all the pictures that got disabled due to that will now show up in all threads in the entire site.
YES!!! ALL the pictures are back thank God, you were right smithmw!

well done, webmaster! :mrgreen:, i won't need to turn them knowitall-looking-pistons a 100 times again!