If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Rear wiper arm repair

Stormyme

Rear wiper arm repair

Post by Stormyme » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 am

Hello

Anyone know how to fix the rear wiper arm? It cleans the logo not the window. lol Seriously it hangs down and will not stay up. We recently bought this freestyle and I am guessing the seller forgot to mention that and we never had a rear wiper to notice it did not work. We would have still bought it though. ;) Is it a DIY kind of thing or .....?

Scotty17

Re: Rear wiper arm repair

Post by Scotty17 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 am

When you turn on the rear wiper does the post turn, if so the wiper arm might be stripped might need to replace it.

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 am

Not sure I follow. When I go out this afternoon, I will try to record it on my phone and post it here. ;)

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Reviving this old thread. ;) The wiper hangs down and cleans the logo when on. lol Not helpful. I forgot to ask the mechanic on the last two visits. Is this something we can fix ourselves?

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 am

Yes, possibility. Per the Ford Workshop Manual, there is a cover on the end of the wiper arm that is farthest away from the rubber blade end, that covers the nut that holds the arm to the "post". The 'post' is the shaft that turns back and forth, and moves the wiper arm. You will need to flip this cover up so you can see the nut that is supposed to hold the wiper arm to the post. Try a screwdriver blade under the cover on the side that is 180 degrees from the wiper arm direction. It will be hard to flip up, and not come all the way off, just flips up. If you get it flipped up, then you will see the nut. Loosen the nut, you may even have to take the nut off to lift and move the wiper arm to the rest position, blade on the glass, pointing to the left side. Holding the arm, tighten the nut. Try the rear wiper stalk control. If it doesnt wipe the glass, but drops down instead, or never makes it back and forth, you have a more difficult repair, a stripped post as Scotty17 said.

Stormyme

Post by Stormyme » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:13 pm

OK, ds Thank you! It is pouring down rain here today, so cannot try that yet. We noticed a nut sitting in the tray of the back rear passenger side window. We are thinking that may belong to the rear wiper arm. The previous owner left that there for something, so we shall see ;)