If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Serious question about the door latch recall

dieKatze88

Serious question about the door latch recall

Post by dieKatze88 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Does anyone have the letter that was sent out about this recall? I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing this right now, and my dealership's history site and Ford Owner are both showing nothing about it, and I'd like to get more information about what's going on before I call my dealer.

hawkeye

Re: Serious question about the door latch recall

Post by hawkeye » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 pm

This is what I found but the recall is 7 years old

Recall ID # 06V383000 - LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH
Recall Date:
OCT 05, 2006

Model Affected:
2006 FORD FREESTYLE

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE FOLLOWING STATES: ALASKA, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IDAHO, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEBRASKA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, SOUTH DAKOTA, UTAH, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND WYOMING. THE SIDE DOOR LATCH MECHANISMS MAY EXPERIENCE WATER INTRUSION ALLOWING THE LATCH MECHANISM TO FREEZE IN COLD WEATHER.

Consequence:
AS A RESULT, THE DOOR LATCH PAWL MAY NOT RETURN TO THE LATCH POSITION WHEN THE DOOR IS CLOSED, AND THE DOOR COULD OPEN WHILE THE VEHICLE IS MOVING.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A SHIELD OVER THE FRONT LATCHES; SEAL A DRAIN HOLE IN THE REAR WINDOW TRIM MOLDING ON THE FREESTYLE REAR SIDE DOORS; AND APPLY GREASE TO ALL FRONT AND REAR SIDE-DOOR LATCH MECHANISMS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 8, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY 06S45

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2006 ... z2nJx854nz

Fat Steve

Post by Fat Steve » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:56 am

I never knew about this recall! Our 05 would do this here in Chicago if, we didn't park in the garage! Would have to drive holding the door closed, not safe. Once the interior was warm, the door then would latch shut
Steve
05 Freestyle
03 Mustang GT

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:43 am

Fat Steve wrote:I never knew about this recall! Our 05 would do this here in Chicago if, we didn't park in the garage! Would have to drive holding the door closed, not safe. Once the interior was warm, the door then would latch shut
Yeah I'd rather not do that in New Jersey. Our drivers range from pretty sane to completely f***in nuts.

08trex32

Post by 08trex32 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:56 am

My 2008MY Trex is doing the same thing. Is there a recall for the Trex too?

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Well, Called my dealer, they checked. My car has already had this. So time to find a better solution than "Idle for 30 minutes any time you want to close the door"

meyersd

Post by meyersd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Just went through this with both rear doors, on two separate occassions. I WD40'd both locks, because I didn't have an white lithum grease. It got the locks unstuck, But I had to really work it in. And it didn't last. Hoping the greast will work better.
2005 Ford Freestyle AWD Limited (Dark Blue Pearl Metallic/Pebble Leather Interior)
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (Grey Clearcoat/Grey Cloth Interior)

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:38 am

I ended up taking off my interior door panel to get a looksie, there was a lot of water in there. It migrated in from the snow storms we were having. I ended up doing this "The easy way" this time (Read: Parking it in a friends garage for 7 hours)

I plan on continuing to do it "The easy way" until summer when I'm going to end to end repair every little thing wrong and replace every light bulb in this car.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:48 am

What exactly happens when the door will not close? How can one close the door to get home especially when you are the only one in the car and nobody to hold the door shut.