If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Blinker Flashes Too Fast

jac163

Re: Blinker Flashes Too Fast

Post by jac163 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:27 am

I have a similar problem of my 2006 Freestyle. From time to time the blinkers start to flash very fast and at the same time I cannot lock my car with the remote. I have to use the key. Then as suddenly as these problems start, They go away. I don't think it's a bulb problem.

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:47 am

Yes, I experienced that a couple times too. I parked my Freestyle, attempted to lock it with the fob. Pressed a button, then really not sure I pressed the correct button, and randomly pressing the buttons on the fob to be sure(in some combinations).

Then when I got back into the car it won't unlock with the fob, need to use the key. While driving, the blinkers both would be flashing very fast, but outside turn signals flash fine (but fast too).

It would go back to normal the next time I turn off the engine and let it sit for a period.

I guess it was the reminder of the security/locking system being turned off (accidentally)?

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I have had this happen back in 2008 and lasted a very short time;never had it happen again. I had no explanation for it. As far as the horn not working from the fob, it may have some truth in
it because the horn and the lights work together from the fob as indicators so if the the lights
don't work, the horn might not. I'm not sure if the fob works the park light filament or the signal light filament. Try replacing one bulb at a time or try cleaning both the bulb and wire contact one bulb at a time. Wow, I didn't know I had that much wind. Good luck.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 am

Well, I just had another fast blinking left signal. The rear one didn't work. Replaced bulb and everything is good. Both filaments in the bulb were intact but there was a smoked darker area inside the glass. $4.76 for one bulb at Ford, Yikes!

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 pm

If the blinker works fast sometimes and normal other times, the contacts may need cleaning; either bulb or wire or both. Sometimes just removing and replacing the bulb may fix it. A circuit tester may be helpful or you could try a bulb from the working side and see if that works, you know the rest.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am

Turns out a short there is causing my flashers to do double time when it rains.
My flasher does double-time when it rains now. Both sides, so it's not a bad bulb. I do not have a trailer connector. I would suspect a short, but what sort of short, that is exposed to outside moisture, is going to affect both sides?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Last night I went looking for the flasher since Rockauto says there is one in the FS/500 (it looks more like relay than a flasher to me but they call it a flasher). I was going by the sound and where it was coming from - I ended up pulling out the instrument cluster and found the blinking noise comes from a speaker on the gauge cluster. So there is not a traditional flasher that is making the noise. Going by wiring diagrams, the flasher function seems to be controlled by the SJB. If there is a separate flasher or relay, I have not found it yet.

xvert

Post by xvert » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:08 am

The change in the lamp flashing frequency is caused by an increase of the resistance in the turn lamp circuit.This can be caused by:
- ​​an old turn lamp bulbs
- poor grounding.Turn on (then off) the parking lights and observe the brightness of the turn lamps' burning.The place(left,right, front, rear) of poor grounding may be noticeable, because the turn and parking lamps have a common ground. G100,101,300,310 for FS (but for 500 i do not know)
https://yadi.sk/i/zoEZawCu3ST8RQ
https://yadi.sk/i/Zbc95V8D3STFC6
https://yadi.sk/i/-l-tZIBu3STGjx
https://yadi.sk/i/ROUyp8Db3STGpM
- poor contact in SJB (smart junction box) connectors or light bulb connectors.Carefully see if there are light bulbs with a small brightness?
-reduction of supply voltage to SJB. Somewhere there are voltage drops (SJB connectors, fuses, grounding).This voltage drop causes an error in determining the blown light bulb.
I do not want to think that it is SJB problem :)
If there is a separate flasher or relay, I have not found it yet.
there is no separate relay or flasher. electronic control of turn signals is in SJB
PS I would not have believed in the existence of such problem if I did not know you and HHR as experienced mechanics.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 am

Thanks for the tips, xvert. I now have to wait for it to do it again so I can test. It's only done it twice, both times when it was raining, we just don't get much rain down here in Texas. Both times when it did it, by the time I got home to where I could do some checking, it had stopped. So right now I am just watching closely to see when it does it again and then I will refer to your post.
I do not want to think that it is SJB problem :)
This is not as bad as it might seem as I have a spare SJB that I saved from the wrecked 500 I used for my first 6-speed swap.