If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Keyless entry factory code

KIK

Keyless entry factory code

Post by KIK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:58 am

Hi all,

just bought a '06 AWD Ltd. Owner's manual states factory code is on wallet card in glove box, unfortunately don't have it. Apparently, computer module does. Where's it located?

thanks in advance,Ken

Imperial Death Star

Re: Keyless entry factory code

Post by Imperial Death Star » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:10 am

The entry code unit(black box) is mounted behind the fuse panel under the drivers side dash. you will need a mirror or camera to view the code which is mirror imaged (when looking from under the dash) its the 4 digit code , after which you can reprogram the code you wish to have. Good Luck
2005 FreeStyle SEL AWD - Red Fire-110,000 miles
2001 BMW 530i (Titanium Silver) 129,000 miles
1998 Volvo V70R-(Vader Black)201,000 miles (retired)

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:47 am

If you are not the DIY type, the dealer can get the code when the car is hooked up to the computer for maybe $30-$40!
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

KIK

Post by KIK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Imperial Death Star wrote:The entry code unit(black box) is mounted behind the fuse panel under the drivers side dash. you will need a mirror or camera to view the code which is mirror imaged (when looking from under the dash) its the 4 digit code , after which you can reprogram the code you wish to have. Good Luck

Found it, thanks! Removed nut from black box bottom stud and moved camera in above wires. Took a few photos before capturing 5digit code.
Am going to use the factory code.

thanks again,Ken

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:13 pm

With the factory code youn then can create a personal code which will also work same as the factory code
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

KIK

Post by KIK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 pm

mmsstar wrote:With the factory code youn then can create a personal code which will also work same as the factory code

I have no problem with using the factory code. Just another code to remember....along with debit card pin, computer passwords, padlock at the gym, bike lock. :wink:

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:03 pm

I found it easier to choose something a little easier to remember. If I had to remember a new 5-digit number, might as well make it relatively easy. I used my zip code in reverse.

bones

Post by bones » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:15 am

wow... glad i came across this thread. i used to work for ford dealership years ago before i started my own business and i knew factory code was somewhere in the car but they are different across the board on most all the ford models. thanks for the tip death star!!!

bones

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:03 pm

I hate to bump an old thread, but I figure it's better than starting a new one.

Where exactly on the top of the black box is the code supposed to be written? I couldn't seem to locate it on my 05 SE. I think I might just be suffering from a case of the DoingItWrongs however.

If it's just not there anymore, do I have to visit a Ford dealer to get the code, or can I just get it myself with an OBD2 bluetooth/USB adapter?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 am

It's there, but it's really, really hard to find. Finding it was the most difficult "repair" I've ever done. The smart junction box is down behind the fuse box, and it's written on the back of it. I used a dental mirror and a flashlight, and it took an embarrassingly long time for me to find it. If I had it to do over again I just would have taken it into the dealer and had them pull it from the computer.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Well I learned that jaunty75 entry code to his car is his zip code in reverse. :lol:

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 am

Jack Watts wrote:It's there, but it's really, really hard to find. Finding it was the most difficult "repair" I've ever done. The smart junction box is down behind the fuse box, and it's written on the back of it. I used a dental mirror and a flashlight, and it took an embarrassingly long time for me to find it. If I had it to do over again I just would have taken it into the dealer and had them pull it from the computer.
I figured I was suffering from a case of the doing it wrongs. I only had a small hand mirror and the world's largest flash light (tm). I'll have another crack at it tonight. Maybe if I can get my head further back into the drivers controls I can get a better shot at it.

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am

Reading the previous posts did not make it clear......is on BACK of the box, meaning you have to remove the box, i.e. unbolt or unscrew the box, roll it over and then see the code. Or as mentioned, use a mirror or camera to view the back of the box. If I remember right, I unbolted the box but because of all of the wires could not turn it over so I then used a mirror and flashlight to get the code. I believe I was in a rather awkward position under the dash to gain access, almost got stuck under there. Good luck!

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 pm

I tried with the mirror for 10 more minutes today and then I said "Screw this. I'm getting the damn box out far enough that I can see the back and getting the right answer the first time."

This process took less than the combined total I had already spent on my back with a mirror and a flashlight, so rather than cause other people back pain, I decided to write this up, with pictures. These cars sadly aren't available new anymore, so the likelihood of someone giving you the code with the car becomes lower by the day.

Tools you will need:
Something capable of turning a 6mm hex.
Something capable of turning a 10mm hex.
A piece of paper and a pen.
Two hands.

Time required: About 15-20 minutes, if you're taking pictures and taking notes.

Step 1. The plastic piece underneath the steering wheel has got to go.

This is accomplished via 3 screws. These are the 6mm ones.
These 3 are the screws that take out the panel directly underneath the steering wheel
The one on the left:
The one in the center, It's behind the Hood Release:
And the one on the right, OBD port provided for reference:

Once you've removed those, the panel just pulls out, You will likely have to pop your hood to do this. Not a problem for me because I was doing other stuff, but if this is all you're after I would get out now, Open the hood all the way and leave it up, to remind you that it's loose. Don't bother closing it now, you'll have to pop it again to put this panel back. Taking the panel out does require some force, take your time and be gentle though and you'll get through it.

Warning, there are 3 copper clips you need to keep track of:
These clips are what the screws actually screw into. *NOT* the plastic or the frame. Make sure that all 3 of them are somewhere where you know where they are. You'll need them to be in those places marked when you want to put that panel back on.

Now you have to unbolt the box. These are the 10mm jobs. You will need at least 1 foot of shaft on your tool of choice in order to get at these.

The one on the top left is the hardest. Put your screwdriver/ratchet shaft to the left of the hood release, underneath the crossbar. It's a straight shot from there and easy to get the nut off.

The next hardest one is the top right one. Put the screwdriver/ratchet shaft just over the crossbar, right over the hood release. You should get it easily.

The bottom one is easy, it's practically free:

Now you can get your box off. You'll have to gently wiggle it out until it comes off of the mounts, then you can let it sag a little bit, like this:

Once the box is sagging, just stick your head back by the accelerator and read the code off the back of the box. Perform these steps in the opposite order to reassemble your car (no gotchas, other than the copper clips that I already warned you about). The plastic panel just pushes on at the top.

You now know the government secret that is your remote entry code. It wasn't that hard.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Don't leave us in suspense.

What is your code? :lol: