If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Just joined..mainly because I have a question/problem...

PolishOne

Just joined..mainly because I have a question/problem...

Post by PolishOne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:54 pm

Greetings everyone!

Judging from some of the posts I've read there are some pretty technically advanced members. Which brings me to my reason for joining & writing.

I bought a 2005 Freestyle last July (2005). Before buying I did a lot of research and canvassing until I found just the one I wanted.

Well, my family took our first road trip from NY to TN in December 2006. We filled the fuel tank before leaving home and when the tank hit the 1/2 mark (about 3 hours drive time), the needle suddenly dropped to Empty and we got the digital warning message that the fuel level was low. Thought this was a bit odd so we called the dealer and asked if we should worry about the computer shutting us down in the middle of nowhere. We were told to keep the tank above 1/2 until we returned.

Upon our return, we took it in for service and the dealer "found gas guage sender unit not reading correctly sender has open circuit removed rear seats and carpet removed and replaced sender reassembled rechecked ok".

Fine. Then, the gas guage worked fine until we got to 1/4 and it would do the same thing-drop to Empty when the digital read out was still telling us we had over 100 miles to empty ( I know this because I purposely displayed the digital stuff constantly so that I could keep track)Apparently the problem, in my opinion, has to do with length of time driven because it doesn't do this on short trips around town until we get to 1/4 mark.

Took it back in for service because the brakes were grinding and had them check the sensor in the fuel tank again. (BTW-My rear brake pads had worn so far that the rotors and pads had to be replaced). Here's what they wrote during this repair "install rotunda guage tester. Found guage tests OK. Removed second row seats & center console, remove carpet, remove fuel guage sending unit, replaced sending unit" So this is the SECOND sending unit they've replaced in 7 months.

I took another road trip in July of this year (06) and the exact same thing happened at 1/2 tank. It suddenly drops to Empty and I get the digital warning of fuel low. Imagine my horror at getting the digital message in the middle of stop and go traffice around Chicago!! Not a gas station in sight...

So off to the dealer we go AGAIN. "tested sending unit OK tested guage not fluctuating pinpoint tested gauge not at zero when empty installed new instrument cluster retested checked ok". My patience is wearing thin because this is a BIG inconvenience for my family & I. :!:

I LOVE this car! But I'm getting really frustrated that the service guys can't get this fixed. Any ideas?? Did I get a lemon? How should I proceed because I'm about ready to tear the service guys' head off! I got a lot of hemming and hawwing on the phone about "gee, I just can't imagine what it could be?" Me either! I'm a middle school teacher, not a mechanic--do some research, or call Ford or do whatever you have to, but just get it fixed before I have to go back to school and don't have time to run back & forth to the car dealer... HELP!!! I take it back to them on Monday...

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Try to read this link! Someone had the same problem before and fixed.

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... =fuel+gage

Sound like your Freestyle's provlem is small and the dealer might have fixed the wrong part.

Good luck!

PolishOne

Thanks!!

Post by PolishOne » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. I printed it out and will take it with me Monday. Not sure what error codes they were getting--they wouldn't advise a silly woman about those technical things--but if I walk in with this, they might take my issue a little more seriously. If they still don't get it fixed, I'll ask for the error code and go searching myself.

BTW-originally, the dealer told me I should buy more higher octane gas also, to which I replied "you might have mentioned that at the time of purchase".

Anyway, thanks again and this has been helpful. I'll let y'all know what transpires for future information.

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Mister Mitch » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:45 am

Good morning PolishOne,

glad to see that you got yourself a great car! Too bad about the gas guage though. I didn't realize that the fix was so complicated.

Even though the repairs are a major complication, as with anything in life, are they at least giving you a lift home while they repair your car? When you are just sitting around the repair waiting room, that can get somewhat depressing after awhile. From what you are saying about the repairs, it sounds like it is more than just a few hours.

I know that I have heard a few things on this board about the gas cap. If you don't screw it all the way down and hear the cap make the "ratcheding" sound, you could get a problem with the gas guage. It only takes a bit of pressure to ensure the gas cap is fully engaged and then you twist it a bit farther to make the gas cap "slip" and make the noise. It is hard for me to explain in words. But if you have the time, read through the posts in this forum and you may find a better description of what I am talking about.

As far as using the higher octane gas... what is it about the Freestyles in the States? You folks are constantly being "BONED" on the gasoline issue. I haven't seen one Canadian post anything about gasoline problems. I have read the manual from cover to cover and I do believe that it actually said NOT to any anything to the fuel or the oil. It also said that regular unleaded gas is all this vehicle needs to opperate properly.

Although talking of gasoline... I was under the impression that us folks in North America were getting most of our oil from the Middle East. Turns out that we only get 4% from them. I guess you folks in the States get just about all the stuff we produce from the Alberta Tar Sands. I don't know what percentage that accounts for in your total consumption, but we Canadians don't get to enjoy the gasoline we produce from the Tar Sands. It is mostly exported to you folks. I guess the province of Alberta can get a better return from their investments if they sell it to you folks than if they keep it for our own Canadian consumption. But, try to follow me on this... if we export the stuff from the Alberta Tar Sands to you folks... and you are having problems with your gas... could it be that we Canadians are giving you folks bad gas?

Since I don't get to enjoy any of the gas that is produced from the Alberta Tar Sands, I can't say what it would do to my car. Alberta would never sell much of anything to the "have not" provinces of Canada. The government of Canada would probably intervene and make Alberta sell it to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador at a subsidized price.

Don't quote me on this, but I will bet you a round of drinks, even folks from the province of Alberta don't get to use any of the gasoline they produce. So if there is anyone from Alberta that is reading this post... why don't you give us your two cents?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I must have purchased a Wednesday car.

Mitch
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:02 am

you got a Wednesday car for sure, Mitch, but some get a "first day after Mardigras" car from hell. I got at least a Tuesday car, anyway. Only thing was the fouled gas gauge due to locally refined gas after the hurricanes where they were allowed to stop removing so much sulfur for a while.

Well, I know it isn't fatal to the car and it hasn't happened since back when I switched dealers and service stations. Only real trouble I have with the car is I don't get to drive it hardly at all anymore. Dang ratchet jawed doctor! I gotta pay him wages for 15 minutes that I never drew in a whole dad blamed day, and he rewards me by putting me out to pasture!

I just sent the one with apparent gas fouling problems a copy of that service bulletin or whatever it was - - - 19098, anyway. I forgot to tell PolishOne, though, that the bulletin was telling the dealer to put in that Techron plus stuff, not to advise the customer where he can get it. My new "good" dealer told me not to do it, as if it happened again, bring it back to them. They are the ones that printed me up a copy of that 19098 bulletin. This was a far cry from the original dealer who told me to use the Techron in every tank from then on. DAMN! A Monday after Mardigras dealer! "Don't go away mad, boy, just go, I say GO AWAY! Damn, we just sell 'em, we don't design and build 'em!"

Boy, can I ever pick 'em! If there's a cow patty around, I'll sooner or later wind up steppin' in it for sure.

Ken

boatshaper

Fuel Gauge Problems

Post by boatshaper » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:18 am

PolishOne wrote:BTW-originally, the dealer told me I should buy more higher octane gas also, to which I replied "you might have mentioned that at the time of purchase".
I don't think the octane level is a big issue, but the brand of fuel might be. Do you always buy from the same company, or do you fill up wherever it's convenient? I understand the basic problem is caused by excessive sulfur in the fuel, but unfortunately I don't know how to identify what's good and what's bad.

The fact that the problem has shown up twice seems to indicate that either you've been getting some really nasty fuel, or else there is something else wrong -- maybe a dirty connector or a damaged wire. That could be pretty difficult to find, but might be worth considering if repeated replacement of the sending unit doesn't fix the problem.

Ken

Re: Fuel Gauge Problems

Post by Ken » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:34 am

boatshaper wrote:
PolishOne wrote:BTW-originally, the dealer told me I should buy more higher octane gas also, to which I replied "you might have mentioned that at the time of purchase".

I don't think the octane level is a big issue, but the brand of fuel might be. Do you always buy from the same company, or do you fill up wherever it's convenient? I understand the basic problem is caused by excessive sulfur in the fuel, but unfortunately I don't know how to identify what's good and what's bad.

The fact that the problem has shown up twice seems to indicate that either you've been getting some really nasty fuel, or else there is something else wrong -- maybe a dirty connector or a damaged wire. That could be pretty difficult to find, but might be worth considering if repeated replacement of the sending unit doesn't fix the problem.

No, I don't think the octane has anything to do with this at all, rather a gas quality issue if it's not like you said, a wiring problem. First thing I'd advise is a brand and station swap while I hunted up another dealer. I had one of "those" kind that didn't know doodly from squat. And here there was 2 better ones just 30 or 405 minutes farther away. DANG a one dealer town!

If it was caused by dirty gas, then the Techron Plus from the dealer should do the trick. Remember the Tier One gas brands? they are a preventative, not a disaster cleanup cureall. 87 octane ought to be just fine, as low or high, octane in itself neither dirty's up nor cleans up.

Switching brands after the chicken has flown the coop won't clean up what's already been done, but I'd sure do it while I hunted up another dealer. Show him a copy of that 19098 and tell them about the other dealership supposedly changing the sensor card out twice and the same trouble still being there, for SURE! FIRST thing a dealer is supposed to do is put that Techron Plus in the tank for you and see if that helps. About a hundred miles at the most should do it. They say a few miles. Well, "few" is a relative term with no reference point, therefore is not a valid number, but if it's dirty, then the additive will do the job.

Keep us all informed, wil you?

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Mister Mitch » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Ken

yup, got me a Wednesday car with Wednesday fuel... :)

Mitch
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net