If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Pre FS Purchase Advice???

Freestyle_Brooklyln

Pre FS Purchase Advice???

Post by Freestyle_Brooklyln » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 am

I've been looking into getting a Ford Freestyle for awhile and I've done my research. Obviously I'm aware of some of the concerns but the positives seem to far out weigh the risks.
I finally found one in my area that meets my criteria and I'm very close to making the purchase. It will be going to a Ford dealer for a thorough inspection on Monday. Is there anything that I may have missed that I should know about or look into prior to making this purchase???
Thanks!

Africa_FS_07

Re: Pre FS Purchase Advice???

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:39 pm

welcome.

if i was buying a freestyle now, i'd look out for four things:

1...i would start the car with the Selector in Park, turn the steering all the way to the left, then step out and put my best Ear as close as possible in the LEFT front tire Well, and listen very well for the slightest "blop-blop-blop-blop" noise......i would do this also with the Selector in the Neutral position, and Reverse too.

if it blops or jerks at all, i would flee so fast.

2....i would have the Tranny Dipstick pulled too and wipe it with a soft white towel.....if the towel shows that the fluid is blue-green or brown/dark brown , i would stand at ease......but if its black, i'd flee.

3...i would drive the car slowly over a short distance, and gently step on the Brakes to bring the car to a stop, IF the car surges/jumps forward, or surges/jumps backward in Reverse, i'd have its Throttle Body cleaned........then try it again, if the car surges/jumps again, i'd have them change the T.B.

4....i would switch on the AC while the car is stationary, and set it at the lowest air speed.....if the air is not cold, i'd have the AC lines checked and the compressor changed right-away.

these assume the car is a FWD, so i won't bother about the AWD issues.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:55 pm

besides checking for weird tranny noises, I'd look for the following:

-leaking from the AC compressor
-bad top motor mount (the one visible at the top of the engine compartment)
-sound from the strut towers during a tight turn (bad strut top bearing)
-if it's AWD, drive in a tight figure eight and back up making a tight turn and make sure you don't get any "tracs" codes.

None of the above would keep me from buying the car, but it would give you some negotiating room. At this point, most of the common small issues like that are pretty well-known, and the fixes are pretty easy. I'd check the tranny diptick, though honestly color doesn't tell you much.

Lastly, I'd remove the oil cap and peer in there to make sure the owner actually changed the oil. You have a pretty clear shot looking to the top of the engine, so you'll be able to see any sludge issues.

Freestyle_Brooklyln

Post by Freestyle_Brooklyln » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 pm

This is great advice, thanks for all the input, I'll keep you posted.