If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

2008 Taurus X Limited AWD 69k Miles

CasualSurveyor

2008 Taurus X Limited AWD 69k Miles

Post by CasualSurveyor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Where has this car been all my adult life?

I guess I was in-between car buying mode and missed out entirely on the 2005-07 Freestyle and 2008-09 Taurus X. My previous purchases were a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica (new) and a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser (new). My later purchase was a 2009 Mazda3 Hatchback (new).

Now I have a 21-yr-old daughter in college, who took the 138,000 mile PT Cruiser with her. And my 16-yr-old son will soon start driving himself to a private all-boys high school. I'm putting him behind the wheel of the 128,000 mile Pacifica.

That leaves the household short one car. I will be taking the 89,000 mile Mazda3 to work (my wife drove it previously). What would she drive? It could not be expensive...paying for one kid in college and one kid in private high school...and operating four cars simultaneously with gas, maintenance, tax (personal property here in KY), and insurance.

We set a budget of $15,000 and started looking for good used cars. My wife decided it needed to have some hauling capacity, and needed to be 4WD or AWD for snowy days. Less than 75,000 miles was my requirement.

There are not a lot of cars on AutoTrader or Craig's List that fit this criteria. The occasional Subaru Outback, Forester, Mercury Mariners, Toyota RAV4s, and a legion of Kia Rondos.

We stumbled on a 2007 Freestyle AWD with 55k miles for $13k. Was beautiful on the exterior and interior. Wife LOVED the car. I drove it and heard a lot of howling from the CV joints. Very soft brakes. Up on a lift...it was a PA snow car. Absolutely rusty beyond belief. Front brakes shot. Badly leaking pan plug. Had to keep looking.

I eventually kenned that the 2008-09 Taurus X was a continuation of the Freestyle. I live south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky. Not a lot available with the Taurus X locally. But an hour and a half away in Dayton there was a 2008 Limited AWD with 69k and an asking price of (cough) $18k.

Turned out to be a real gem. Previously owned by an older couple who traded it on a new loaded Explorer in the same color. There were pieces of masking tape in the driver's side door jamb where the guy wrote down all service records in magic marker. Stuck little round wide-angle mirrors on the side mirrors, and put a smooth GPS suction base on the dash. It looked like most of the occupancy had been in the front two seats; the 2nd and 3rd row looked like no one had ever sat back there. Brand new Interstate battery dated Aug of 2013 and Michelin radials with lots of life left in them. Never smoked in.

I got it for $16,500. No idea if that is a good price but I am pretty satisfied that I got a LOT of car for that money.

This car has I think almost every option except power liftgate, power folding 2nd row seats, and heated 2nd row.

I am the kind of guy who always buys the middle trim and option level...I would never buy a car with this many options brand new. But I have to say...having all these niceties sure is luxurious!

The left and right power mirrors are not working right, so I ordered new replacements. I also ordered a new rear bumper step pad since the original one is faded and discolored. The dealer's detailer used some amazingly deceptive stuff on that pad...it looked good for exactly one day after we bought the car.

2008 Taurus X Limited AWD / Merlot Metallic / Medium Light Stone Leather

NorseaBlue

Re: 2008 Taurus X Limited AWD 69k Miles

Post by NorseaBlue » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:37 pm

A Beaut! I'd say you got a great deal! I'm even a bit envious.

Original sticker would have been well over 40k, I would imagine.

Nice going there CS. I nominate you for "Smart Buyer of the Month".

(Nice photos too.)
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

CasualSurveyor

Re: 2008 Taurus X Limited AWD 69k Miles

Post by CasualSurveyor » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:04 am

Thanks NS. My wife is not usually the type who gets as excited about a "new" car as I do, but she is gushing over this thing. It's fun to see her "bonding' with it so quickly...makes the purchase all the more satisfying. This morning I'm going to drive it to work just for fun. I have not been behind the wheel since the test drive!
2008 Taurus X Limited AWD / Merlot Metallic / Medium Light Stone Leather