If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

2008 FWD SEL with Ford CPO Warranty

ftx944

2008 FWD SEL with Ford CPO Warranty

Post by ftx944 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 am

Hi, I am new to the board. We picked up our car in the summer of 2011 with 75K miles, and now have 95K on it. We have used our CPO warranty 3 times for a broken rear spring (really uncommon), leaking radiator, and the stalling at low idle issue. That last issue they could not fix under warranty; we had to pay for it, $100 bucks. It required a PCM reprogram per Technical Service Bulletin # 09-11-15.
So far we love it, except that now we need the 2nd row bench seat (Tan, cloth). If anyone wants to swap our 2 captains chairs with center console for your bench, let me know! We are in the CT/MA/NJ/NY area.

PS I am a former Ford engineer. I specifically worked on the electronic throttle control (ETC) systems and also the purge valve development on the Hybrid Escape, back around 2001 so sometime ago!

thanks,
Frank

Jack Watts

Re: 2008 FWD SEL with Ford CPO Warranty

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:42 pm

ftx944 wrote:
PS I am a former Ford engineer. I specifically worked on the electronic throttle control (ETC) systems and also the purge valve development on the Hybrid Escape, back around 2001 so sometime ago!

thanks,
Frank
Welcome!

So....I have to ask: why on earth is Ford still using a resistive film sensor rather than a Hall effect/non-contact sensor for the ETC. And once that decision was made, why make it integrated into the TB? Is the cost reduction per unit really that much?

ftx944

Post by ftx944 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Ahh, the infamous contacting versus contactless sensor question! Back in 2000 we had introduced ETC on the Lincoln LS V-6, as a very low volume trial, and were getting ready to go big volume on the F-150 in a couple of years. We had the Visteon unit in hand with the mechanical TPS with dual resistive paint strips for TPS1 and TPS2 signals. We went "shopping" around for a potential new supplier, and a few of them were talking about a contactless hall effect sensor. This would solve many problems, specifically wear on the current design, and the potential of TPS1 signal diverging or not correlating with TPS2 signal, even if momentarily, but putting the system into limp home mode and thus unhappy customers. However, at that time, it was really cost prohibitive. I would think that today the contacting sensors must have improved significantly making the business case of going contactless not so attractive. just a thought but not sure.
Frank
Jack Watts wrote:
Welcome!

So....I have to ask: why on earth is Ford still using a resistive film sensor rather than a Hall effect/non-contact sensor for the ETC. And once that decision was made, why make it integrated into the TB? Is the cost reduction per unit really that much?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the info! I was assuming it was cost-related, and I realize stuff adds up over lots of units sold.
ftx944 wrote: I would think that today the contacting sensors must have improved significantly making the business case of going contactless not so attractive. just a thought but not sure.
Frank
Yeah, that hasn't always worked out too well. The Freestyle was beset by ETC issues. Cleaning and a re-programming of the TPS (likely to deal better with worn TPS sensors) solved some, but Ford also paid for a lot of throttle bodies during the recall. Someone actually pulled apart his TPS and took some pics of the resistor film, and it wasn't pretty! They've also gone away from the resistor film on some new models. Either way, I won't hold you responsible!

BTW, you can always check car_part.com to see if they have any bench seats available. I'm pretty sure the seats from the Freestyle are compatible w/the T-Rex, but you'll want to double-check on that one.

ftx944

Post by ftx944 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 am

Jack, thanks for not holding me responsible ; ) In the end it comes down to cost, but either you pay for the cost upfront through more robust products, or later through warranty and a negative hit to your brand. I am an advocate of the former approach. However, the been counters are stuck in short term savings and don't factor in the additional "cost" of tarnishing the brand and loosing customers on word of mouth.

That site for car parts is great! Thanks again for the scoop!
Frank

brijack515

Post by brijack515 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I have an '06 FS Limited with Tan Leather Bench Seats.

Been looking to swap with buckets and console. My kids are all grown and gone now use for taking a foresome golfing.

BTW, you only need to swap the left half of the bench seat as the right side is the same as the right side of the twin buckets.

The Seats are also compatable with the TRex however, the leather is different qs well as the trimming.