If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Hello Hello Hello

HeavyC

Hello Hello Hello

Post by HeavyC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 am

Just checking in to say hello. My wife and I bought a 07' FS SEL FWD in February and we absolutely love it! It had 86k and we got it for only $8900 which I thought was a pretty good deal. We're creeping up to the mid 90k range now and I'm wondering if there are any major services I should expect to do soon? I know it's a chain motor so obviously no timing belt, but what about Tranny services or diff services. Any ideas from experienced owners?

Thanks

jpz

Re: Hello Hello Hello

Post by jpz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:59 pm

The tranny service should be performed every 60k. I plan to do mine every 30k since it's such an expensive trans to fix. Do not let just anyone work on it though. It takes a particular Ford CVT fluid, and using anything other than that fluid will result in a huge hole in your wallet. The procedure it relatively simple if your mechanically inclined. There are a few posts with decent pictures that will show you the step by step. Africa should be by any second now with a link to these posts.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:58 am

welcome to the new member.

well spoken, JPZ.

EVERYTHING he needs to know about the CVT Service/Care (fluid, filters, service procedure,fluid levels, etc) is well detailed IN THIS TOPIC.

see page 2 especially.......the downloadable PDF version/copy of the Page 2 procedure is posted in Page 4 by "wgroper"...........i suggest reading ALL the posts in the topic.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:40 pm

HeavyC wrote:Just checking in to say hello. My wife and I bought a 07' FS SEL FWD in February and we absolutely love it! It had 86k and we got it for only $8900 which I thought was a pretty good deal. We're creeping up to the mid 90k range now and I'm wondering if there are any major services I should expect to do soon? I know it's a chain motor so obviously no timing belt, but what about Tranny services or diff services. Any ideas from experienced owners?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum and you will enjoy your car. Dont' listen to any naysayers on this forum that imply your car's transmission will be guaranteed to implode.

Just remember that if Africa_FS_07 asks you a question then answer soon or he will pester you to kingdom come. :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm

mr knowitall, sent you a PM !!! :P
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 am

Webmaster wrote:Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Webmaster, feel jealous here :roll:........why wasn't i welcomed so "heartily" in my time? :lol:

HeavyC

Post by HeavyC » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:03 am

Looks like changing it myself will be a synch. Now how about the transfer case? Does the fluid need to be changed at all?

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:22 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote: Webmaster, feel jealous here :roll:........why wasn't i welcomed so "heartily" in my time? :lol:
You didn't say hello, hello, hello. ;)

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:mr knowitall, sent you a PM !!! :P
You know you don't have to tell me.

I get a notification.

Whatever the question the answer is "yes"! :lol:

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 pm

HeavyC wrote:Looks like changing it myself will be a synch. Now how about the transfer case? Does the fluid need to be changed at all?
Welcome. You said your FS was FWD, right? If so, no transfer case, power is split at the transmission.

You will have the 100K service coming up though, assuming it hasn't been done, when you'll have the following due:
-coolant
-spark plugs
-PCV valve

Also, the fuel filter is due every 30K, but my guess is if you don't have record of it being changed, it's never been changed...

On the spark plugs, you have to remove the intake manifold to access the rear plugs-so it's a pretty involved job. I'd recommend replacing the IM gaskets at that time and the coil boots. You don't want to have to do it twice. You should also consider changing the rear PCV hose, as it can get soft or brittle over time as it sees a lot of heat--and access is way easier when you have the IM out. You'll want to check to see if there's an electrical connector going to your PCV valve, as some are heated (most aren't).

Lastly, check out the top motor mount. If it's split, the best time to deal with it is when the IM is out of the car, as you can get the bracket out much more easily.