If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

hello from missouri

countryrunner

hello from missouri

Post by countryrunner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:27 pm

hey everybody new to this forum. and i am coming straight forward and and i don't have a freestyle yet but me and the wife are looking for one but have a few questions.

1. what actual gas mileage are you getting from the FWD and AWD styles.
2. is it worth getting the AWD or not because i live in MO and the winters don't get too bad, but sometimes they get really bad. and was wondering if the FWD can handle lots of snow or do i need AWD.
3. and when i am looking a at a used freestyle what do i need to look for specifically, i know all the normal stuff like oil leaks, look at coolant, tread depth and all that stuff. but is there something i need to look on this suv.
4. what are the common problems with these suv too

MrDinMN

Re: hello from missouri

Post by MrDinMN » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. I have an 05 Freestyle SE FWD with 78,000 miles on it. It's been a great car for us - comfortable and able to haul an amazing amount of stuff. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. actual gas mileage: 20 in city, 25-27 on highway, depending on speed & load
2. I live in Minnesota and FWD has been fine with good all-season tires. I drive primarily on city & suburban streets & freeways that are plowed or have regular traffic, and have only been stuck once, trying to jump a snow berm left by a plow
3. Make sure there are records of maintenance, including CVT trans fluid drain & fill every 60K miles.
4. Throttle body & rear brakes were replaced under factory warranty - those were the only two issues we've had.

Hope you find something that suites you!

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Welcome

We have (3) 2005 Freestyles all FWD seem to get 25 - 28 on highway. Drive in Michigan Snow during winter no issues with good tires.

Biggest and most costly is the transmission. Used are between $2000 to $3000 + install. So make sure trans is good. No weird noises in park. etc Used engines are $300 to $500.

Some on this forum believe in the 60K trans fluid and filter change being critical. I have not changed the trans fluids or filters in any of my freestyles. I am torn. Some out there with 185K and no change still rolling down the road. I'm thinking of changing prior to winter weather. See if I can get to it.

4). Issues I have had with mine. 2005 Silver 82K - current 107K, 2005 Green 40K - current 70K, Gold 37K - current 110K (mileage owned from)

Some Wheel bearings started going in ours around 70K. Power steering leak on rack in one. Sway bars on all of them. Air Conditioning in all of them. Bad design on the compressor, scroll valve change on this forum. roll resister on one (dry rot), cheap fix on this forum. Steering shaft at U-joint seized on 1 (hard turning). 1 had the upper strut bearing seized. 1 had bad alternator (regulator in alternator stopped working). Upper Camcover gasket leak on 1. Rear wiper motor on 1.

We really like our freestyles and in all the above items needing replaced I think are normal wear n tear.

Dan from Michigan.

mike9476

Post by mike9476 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 am

FWD with good tires should fit your needs. Dan listed many of the common problem areas. Ours has been relatively trouble-free. Had it from 17K-91K miles and have replaced 1 wheel bearing (warranty), sway bar endlinks, and regular maintenance (brakes,tires,etc).
2011 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
Wife's car: 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Sold: 2007 Freestyle Limited

Steelers81

Post by Steelers81 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm

We have a 2005 FWD SEL with 123k miles on it.

1. We get about 19-20 City and 26-29 Highway depending on the load. We got 26 on a trip with 5 people and a full hitch carrier.
2. FWD with a decent set of tires will be ok.
3. I would definitely make sure the AC is in full working condition. That seems to be 2nd biggest issue/concern other than the transmission.
4. We've had some of the issues that seem to be mentioned on this forum. Sway bar end links, roll resistor (cheap fix on forum), AC Compressor, throttle body (should be taken care of under recall).

countryrunner

Post by countryrunner » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 pm

well everybody we are going to go looking at our first one tomorrow its a 06 freestyle limited AWD i don't really prefer AWD because of gas mileage but its really hard to find a FWD freestyle here in missouri that has all the features we want. but it has 81K miles on it with navigation, leather seats, dvd player, and its all one color not a two-tone all for 9K. so anybody here own a AWD?

hawkeye

Post by hawkeye » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:11 am

I have an '06 Freestyle with AWD and 78k miles, bought used last year. It works great in snow and heavy rain conditions. Before the throttle body was cleaned I was averaging around 16 in the city. After cleaning it was up to 18.5. the few times I have it on the road before cleaning was 21-22 mpg. I hope now I can get 25