If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Is it safe? Or a helicopter?

Stumplifter

Is it safe? Or a helicopter?

Post by Stumplifter » Sun May 05, 2013 7:46 am

Newbie,
Looking at Freestyles, like the size and flexible seating arrangements.

My wife asked an existing Freestyle owner about their experience and he mentioned the CVT concerns.

Enter Google and now I am ready to balk.

Is the CVT problem restricted to certain years (thought I saw a reference to 2005 - 2007)?
If a vehicle has over xxx,xxx miles is it safe to say the CVT is solid?

Bottom line - Should we be scared?

knowitall

Re: Is it safe? Or a helicopter?

Post by knowitall » Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 am

I would personally only buy a Freestyle from a one owner that kept maintenance records. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a Freestyle where the transmission fluid/filter change was unknown.

Stumplifter

Post by Stumplifter » Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks Knowitall, (your picture frightens me . .) :lol:

Does a CVT transmission require a more diligent maintenance schedule?
What should the frequency of filter/fluid changes be for a CVT?

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:26 am

Stumplifter wrote:Thanks Knowitall, (your picture frightens me . .) :lol:
that's just the beginning.......wait till you "really meet him" on here. :lol:
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

MrDinMN

Post by MrDinMN » Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Stumplifter wrote:Newbie,

My wife asked an existing Freestyle owner about their experience and he mentioned the CVT concerns.

Is the CVT problem restricted to certain years (thought I saw a reference to 2005 - 2007)?

If you check truedelta.com and other automotive websites, you'll see that the CVT has no higher failure rate than other transmissions. There are three CVT Freestyle owners on my block and our mileage ranges from 77K (mine) to 140K. None have had tranny issues, but all have had the drain & fill service every 60K miles at minimum. So second what knowitall wrote - you want to verify with records that this service has been done on schedule.

bossnine

Post by bossnine » Sun May 05, 2013 6:11 pm

My Freestyle is sitting in my garage, undriveable because of the CVT. I still make payments on it. I can't afford the $5k the Ford dealer wants to replace the trans. Haven't driven it since Feb.

I regret buying my 2007 Freestyle, especially when I was looking at a 2008 Taurus X at the same time. Little did i know the Taurus X does not, in fact, use the CVT transmission. I would go with the Taurus X, avoid the CVT like the lemon that it is.

Trans went out at 60k *easy* miles by the way.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 am

MrDinMN wrote:
Stumplifter wrote:Newbie,

If you check truedelta.com and other automotive websites, you'll see that the CVT has no higher failure rate than other transmissions. There are three CVT Freestyle owners on my block and our mileage ranges from 77K (mine) to 140K. None have had tranny issues, but all have had the drain & fill service every 60K miles at minimum. So second what knowitall wrote - you want to verify with records that this service has been done on schedule.
TrueDelta must be wrong because according to African man, since his CVT is failing, then all Freestyles CVT's are bad. :lol:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 am

Stumplifter wrote:Thanks Knowitall, (your picture frightens me . .) :lol:

1) Does a CVT transmission require a more diligent maintenance schedule?
2) What should the frequency of filter/fluid changes be for a CVT?
1) No.
2) Perform every 60,000 miles and use Ford Motorcraft fluid.

If you do get the helicopter noise you can join the African man's helicopter club. Admission is free! :lol:

Stumplifter

Post by Stumplifter » Mon May 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Good advice so far and interesting opinions.

Further research does reveal that the CVT is not a red herring and should not be feared. It does appear that there were input shaft issues and indications that getting replacement shafts is difficult!? Which sounds completely absurd.

So next questions.
Is the Taurus X as sweet as the Freestyle?
Any major design differences?

TIA

MrDinMN

Post by MrDinMN » Mon May 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Stumplifter wrote:Good advice so far and interesting opinions.

Further research does reveal that the CVT is not a red herring and should not be feared. It does appear that there were input shaft issues and indications that getting replacement shafts is difficult!? Which sounds completely absurd.

So next questions.

TIA
Be sure to research frequency of transmission issues with the X's 6-speed. They've had some problems as well and are almost as expensive to replace, about $4 grand...

mike9476

Post by mike9476 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 am

Stumplifter wrote:Good advice so far and interesting opinions.

So next questions.

TIA
I have not driven a TaurusX, but have ridden in one. The interior is almost identical, and the powertrain is definitely quiter. They really did make the 3.5L significantly smoother sounding than the 3.0 in the Freestyle. I wouldn't pay a huge premium for a Taurus X over a Freestyle, but would definitely consider one if the price was right.
MrDinMN wrote:Be sure to research frequency of transmission issues with the X's 6-speed. They've had some problems as well and are almost as expensive to replace, about $4 grand...
They may actually have more frequent transmission issues, but on the other hand the 6-speed was used on tons of different vehicles so parts are plentiful and tons of used transmissions are available for as low as $600-$800(FWD-AWD) vs $2000+ for a used Freestyle CVT.
2011 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
Wife's car: 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Sold: 2007 Freestyle Limited

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:56 pm

knowitall wrote:.....If you do get the helicopter noise you can join the African man's helicopter club. Admission is free! :lol:
thanks for rubbing that in, mr knowitall.........have un-inhibited fun mocking my rock grinder car while your CVT holds for now !!
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

nburd

Post by nburd » Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Honestly, I would avoid it. They only made it 3 years for a reason and the cost to fix can be more than the car is worth. As much as my wife loves Hers and we have had it for 5 reliable years (until Feb of this year) and now plan on another 3-5 years. Now that they are 6 years old or more, I would avoid them unless you are willing to gamble on one repair that can cost more than the blue book value of the car.

Even a used tranny will cost nearly 50% of the cars value.

Just my opinion.
Norm
2007 Freestyle SEL
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Express Quad
2000 Corvette Convertible

meyersd

Post by meyersd » Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 am

If you could blast some 80's synth music, the chopper sound might not be so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLFqeXm_5X4
2005 Ford Freestyle AWD Limited (Dark Blue Pearl Metallic/Pebble Leather Interior)
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (Grey Clearcoat/Grey Cloth Interior)

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:58 pm

meyersd wrote:If you could blast some 80's synth music, the chopper sound might not be so bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLFqeXm_5X4
believe me, once its heard, no music could ever mask that noise from hade's deepest part .......i could have sworn i smelt sulfur too when it was first heard :|