If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Just signed up

Willie19

Just signed up

Post by Willie19 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi everyone:
This sounds like a friendly and cozy forum for Ford Freestyle owners. Not an owner yet but I'm sure looking forward to owning one. Have been following another forum on this vehicle for some time and have come across some familiar members also belonging here.We have set our sight on a SEL with AWD and getting ready to approach our Ford dealer with adequate pricing knowledge to avoid all the negotiating hassles. I have acquired a X-Plan PIN # which appears to be quite common to U.S. customers but lesser known in western Canada. Are there any Canadian buyers that have bought on X-Plan that could give me some insights as to an approx. discount from MSRP that I can expect. I also hear that some folks in the U.S. also received a $750 rebate on top of that, but that could vary as to the time and place. If anyone has any info in regard to the Canadian market and can provide any advice it will be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot and nice to join this group.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:52 am

Welcome Willie19. Where are you? I'm in Saskatchewan.

brantyca

Post by brantyca » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:16 am

Wilie19

I purchased my LTD AWD Freestyle last November using the X-Plan (Ontario). What I liked about it was that there was absolutely no negotiation. You pay a set price and that's it. It was the most comfortable car buying experience I have had - never liked the car negotiation game. The price was approximately 6% under MSRP (you may be able to do better in negotiating but under the X-Plan there is no negotiating). At the time there were no other discounts available.

Willie19

Just signed Up

Post by Willie19 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Webmaster: thanks for the welcome. I'm from Chilliwack in British Columbia.

Branty : nice to here from you.I recognize you from Edmund's . Glad to hear you're happy with your LTD AWD and how well it handled in the snow. Also some other person from Minnesota also concurred with your driving in snow country. Hope the Continental tires which are installed in the SELs will be also up to the task.I hear what you're saying about hassle-free buying with the X-plan but I'm new at this buying option and one dealer wondered how I got it. My usual Ford dealer also used to give hassle free quotes at dealer invoice price at approx. 8-9% below MSRP. Unfortunately my favourite sales rep is no longer there and it is a new ball game with my latest request from them.They are now playing games by marking up from dealer invoice by quoting their " best price" is $39298 versus $39090 at X-Plan , and dealer invoice being $38323 (freight incl., taxes extra). This is for SEL AWD, front row comfort, perf.leather, 2nd row console, 3rd row split seat.

This indicates to me that the last 4 Ford vehicles I bought from this dealer at dealer invoice was even better than X_Plan . Clearly the dealers are playing games with Freestyles with AWD due to low allocations or whatever. Another dealer quoted X-Plan at $38970 for the same vehicle order. As it stands I sent out about a half dozen requests to different dealers without even setting foot in them and play their game for the lowest bid. If they want my business they have to come to me. Don't know how other Freestylers got theirs and it's a good thing there are forums like this that we can share buying experience so that we don't get ripped off too badly.

brantyca

Post by brantyca » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:34 pm

Willie19,

The salesman we worked with has set up a website (XPlan.ca) and my employer is a "partner" with Ford (that's how we got in on the X-Plan). This salesman was the one that our company information directed us to although the X-plan pricing will work with other participating dealers. Not sure if he would give you a quote given your location but the website does have a place to obtain a quote.

The MSRP pricing we got was the same as that posted on the Ford Canada website when you "price your own". I am not sure whether dealers will lower the MSRP and give you the X-Plan pricing since the MSRP is meant to be the price from the factory. Again, if you are comfortable with the negotiating game then go for it. As I mentioned earlier, I hate to play that game...I may have paid a bit more but the experience was far better than any I have had in the past.

There seems to be quite a bit on the Edmund's board regarding rebates and incentives. Not sure if these have made it north of the border but when we bought (mid-November) there were no incentives.

Despite this once you make the purchase you will be thrilled with the performance of the Freestyle. It is a wonderful performer in snow. I am not sure what the Continental tires will be like but the Pirelli P6's on the Limited are very grippy - excellant tire.

Willie19

Post by Willie19 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:56 pm

Branty,

Thanks so much for your continued help.You're darn right I would much prefer no hassle buying. I got my X-Plan PIN from Ford's site http://www.friendlyfordlv.com/partner/p ... html#table
after I phoned their AXZ Plan HQ at Orlando, Florida.They asked me what company I worked for and I told them I'm now retired and gave them the co. name. They issued a PIN # good for I year in my wife's name which we hope she'll be getting a Freestyle.Supposedly it's also good for certain Mazda cars I'm told. Your early purchase last Nov. could have been part of that holdback bunch that Ford went over with exceptional quality control (after some startup glitches) before they got sent to the dealerships so that could be why you're so happy and lucky as well. I held back til now as I felt more confident with running changes and improvements in the production process.
Now that I have requested for several dealer quotes a few of them answered promptly but they are not giving all the info I want or keeping it vague. Guess they are sizing me up as much as I'm evaluating them, so it becomes a bit of a waiting game... ain't going to the lion's den without enough info or assurances.
So the Pirelli P6s are really that good,huh? won't mind paying the difference if they were available in 17" size, although the LTD gets 18". the only downside is that your 18" will be expensive at replacement time.
Have fun freestylin'.

brantyca

Post by brantyca » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:27 pm

Willie19

You are correct. The X-plan works on any of the Ford family (Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar & Land Rover) although the actual discount varies by manufacturer.

Our Freestyle was actually built in November so I am not sure whether it was caught up in hold back. The quality of our vehicle is great and there have been absolutely no problems!

My initial contact with our dealer was via e-mail. He provided the quotes I requested within a day of my request. We eventually spoke on the phone and arranged a test drive...the rest is history.

You are right the 18" tires will be expensive to replace but it appears more and more larger vehicles come with 17 or 18" tires now. I have had Pirelli's on my last couple of cars (not the P6's) and I have been very happy with them (although I did have winter Pirelli's on my Mazda Van). I believe that the P6's are available in 15-18".

Willie19

Post by Willie19 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:39 am

Brantyca,

Hey this is beginning to sound like we belong to a mutual admiration society from a fellow Canuck. Much appreciated though.
Like you I'm dealing via email with several dealers without giving them my phone # until such time they arrive at a negotiable zone. I got 4 out of 5 interim responses within 3 hours but early success is far from guaranteed.Not trying to deny them a reasonable share of the profits but there is also another hurdle for me to overcome...and that is the trade-in value of my wife's 1996 Mercury Villager in very good condition and only 49000 km on the odo which should give someone very good service for many years .Could try to sell it privately as I'm fully aware that trying to cut the new car price to the bone they will hose us with the trade-in appraisal.
Just have to wait awhile to see how the bottom line turns out.
Gotta mention this to you guys. We also looked at the '05 Toyota Sienna CE AWD but wifey did not like it because there are no roof rails unless you pay for the XLE AWD trim (Toyota mktg pressure) and also many bad reports on those Dunlop run flat tires. While researching on the Sienna I heard of a Canuck who after careful investigation on Toyo's Access Pricing Strategy , he went to Portland, Ore.,to get his fully loaded XLE AWD and after going through a whole lot bureaucratic paper shuffling,taxes, certification costs, shipping , etc, etc, he claimed to have saved something like $10,000.
Go figure ! part of the answer was the Canuck buck at U.S $ 0.84+ at the time and U.S. dealers Were Dealing ! would you do that? sounds pretty daunting and not sure how he handled the speedometer thing.

maybeafreestyle

Post by maybeafreestyle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I haven't bought a Freestyle yet but thinking out it, though. I have the following four cars on my list right now to look at:

Ford Freestyle
Chrysler Pacifica
Honda Pilot
Toyota Sienna

I'm looking for a car with a good crash rating, SFF, rollover resistance, reliability, and bumpers; not all of this is available on the Freestyle yet. The drawback I have with the Freestyle is it doesn't offer the tire pressure monitoring feature, and that is a feature I really like. Any suggestions to help me out will be appreciated. How do you like the CVT?

dtlayman

Purchase Options?

Post by dtlayman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:02 pm

Noticed that there may be some purchase options that we didn't know about. Could someone explain the x-plan further? Also, what internet purchase options have been found to be the best?

We also have a trade - 2001 Volvo V70XC. We are wondering how to handle this. Advice?

steve of 5-0

UK to NB this January

Post by steve of 5-0 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:51 pm

:arrow: Wife and I arrived Saint John in the company of Mr A. Downey and his wife, he is FORD DOWNEY of NB Canada, no less !
In our chat on the flight in we had said we had owned a Toyota Rav 4 in England before we left. We said we were not in the market for a Ford.
We road tested all makes along the Rothsay Ave. dealership corridor of Saint John, NB.
We went to Ford last and bought from stock that week !!!

Excellent service so far, Mr A Downey and his son are extremely pleasant and always approachable. :D
Always observe the LIMIT !!!

Willie19

Re: Purchase Options?

Post by Willie19 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:14 am

dtlayman wrote:Noticed that there may be some purchase options that we didn't know about. Could someone explain the x-plan further? Also, what internet purchase options have been found to be the best?

We also have a trade - 2001 Volvo V70XC. We are wondering how to handle this. Advice?
Look up this website for X-Plan info
http://www.friendlyfordlv.com/partner/p ... html#table

X-Plan is a no haggle price set by Ford Motor Co.However, if you get several dealers for their competitive quotes you will quite likely get them to sell at dealer invoice which could be around $700 below X-Plan.(CDN Price).
I'm still waiting for Ford to start building the Freestyle Limited FWD which is so disappointing that it may Not even be available for the '05 year(!??)