If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

What cars did we get rid of to get our Freestyles!!!

barvic

Re: What cars did we get rid of to get our Freestyles!!!

Post by barvic » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 pm

I guess I am late in adding here as we've had our 06 limited awd since November 2007 new off the lot. Only 30k miles now and been good and reliable. I have been a VW and lately Audi guy and although I miss the drive of the Audi very much I am also very happy with the care-free experience I have with the freestyle. I am thrilled with the practicality of the car and overall I can not think of another vehicle that handles so many things so well.

When I bought this in 07 I must've looked at every other thing out there and just reserved a full load Acadia at $53k. being audi now, i had to have awd. I left the lot of the gm dealer and next corner spied the freestyle. For some reason I had not seen them, reminded me of my a6 avant we had for years for the lines around the rear, and pulled in. Scored this one for $30k new as it had been sitting a long time. Gave gm the bad news and showed them the freestyle.

Just sold my a4 and we still have a beetle convertible for my Germanic needs but can not get around spending so much on cars again as I guess my priorities have changed. Will keep this for a long time. I was concerned about the cvt and overall ford reliability but so far so good and finding this forum has given my confidence on the cvt being better than what has been told me.

So cheers all, Bruce in Victoria
2006 Limited AWD Silver
2008 New Beetle Convertible

Ben's Owner

Post by Ben's Owner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

We traded a 2006 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Shortbed for my 2005 Freestyle. While Abigaile is a great truck, she only got 13mpg city and 21mpg highway and Ben gets 24mpg city and darn near 28mpg highway. Plus we just paid off hubby's '06 Super Duty and Ben's payment is half what Abigailes was.
Who ever bought Abigaile, take good care of her please!

Viki

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:58 pm

welcome to the best car forum to Ben and his mom, how many miles has he logged? SE, SEL, LTD?

our thoughts are with Abigaile always, poor soul ! :cry:
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Fat Steve

Post by Fat Steve » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am

a 2000 Focus sedan, hated that thing
Steve
05 Freestyle
03 Mustang GT

StuartBS

Post by StuartBS » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Had a 94 Villager, moved to a 96 Windstar when the transmission went. Got rid of the Windstar when the motor blew, and absolutely love our 05 Freestyle Limited. I only need to fix the AWD and heated seats. Love this car. More than 22mpg this summer, Winnipeg to New York and back with a rooftop cargo bag and six passengers.

jfreas

Post by jfreas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 pm

We bought our 2005 Freestyle Limited in September of 2009. We traded a 2001 Audi A4 Avant (AWD wagon for those not in the know). The Audi was loaded and was a pleasure to drive, but the A4 is a compact wagon, and with two kids in car seats we wanted more room.

Our search for a replacement quickly led to the Freestyle and Taurus X. I liked the CVT and lower price of the Freestyle so that's where we set our focus. My first concern was that while the Ford had a feature list to match (and in some cases better) the Audi, it might not handle or ride as well, and I fully expected the engine sound to be louder.

In fact I was very pleasantly surprised on all counts. The Freestyle is an improvement over the A4 on features. In interior room and comfort it's no contest, to my surprise it is not significantly louder than the Audi (in fairness it is a little louder under hard acceleration, but not enough to really notice), we don't feel like we gave up any performance and yet it gives us all of that while burning exactly the same amount of gas per mile. Exactly the same.

I like the styling, the few repairs we've had to make were, as one would expect, far less expensive than they would have been on the Audi.

I can say that we never looked back. The Audi was a fun car, but given the choice today I'd still buy the Freestyle.

John
2005 Freestyle Limited
Pueblo Gold
116,000 miles and going strong
2005 Freestyle Limited
Pueblo Gold

sailor

Post by sailor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am

I traded in my 2005 Freestyle SEL for a 2008 Tauras x Limited 4WD. I have had
problems with the rear seat,front heated seat and AC on 2008. I had no problems with
2005 with 70,000 miles on it. I do like the car that's why I bought another one.

kherman

Post by kherman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi folks,

New to the forums.
Just purchased a used '05 Freestyle SEL AWD. 84K miles on it. Runs great and is very clean. :D

Traded my '00 Ford Mustang Base V6 for the Freestyle. No, I'm not crazy.
I still have my '11 Mustang GT/CS for when I need a thrill. 8)
The '00 was starting to get long in the tooth and needed work. Just made more sense to trade it in and get something more practical for the Wisconsin winters. she'll be missed. But, the Freestyle is a welcomed addition.
Hi folks,

New to the forums.
Just purchased a used '05 Freestyle SEL AWD. 84K miles on it. Runs great and is very clean. :D

Traded my '00 Ford Mustang Base V6 for the Freestyle. No, I'm not crazy.
I still have my '11 Mustang GT/CS for when I need a thrill. 8)
The '00 was starting to get long in the tooth and needed work. Just made more sense to trade it in and get something more practical for the Wisconsin winters. she'll be missed. But, the Freestyle is a welcomed addition.

The 'Stangs.

CrabSpirits

Post by CrabSpirits » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Traded in a 2005 WRX for our Taurus X.

I've owned several older Subaru Imprezas and loved them all, but not that one. It was automatic, and the turbo just didn't like it. There were a few occasions where I almost got T-boned because the turbo would take so long to spool up, then the car would rocket away. The driving position was terrible. It sucked down premium at the rate of 16mpg. Pretty sad that a much bigger wagon gets better mpg, and is almost quicker to boot. We needed the wagon because we had our 1st child.

hawkeye

Post by hawkeye » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm

2007 Ford Focus. A good car, great gas mileage but not a lot of room. Freestyle rides great on road trips, AWD a big plus in the snow, and plenty of room for flea market finds.

zimmy

Post by zimmy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

2004 Freestar. We were on the hunt for a vehicle with lots of space, good gas mileage and not a minivan (4x4, was a want but not a necessity for the amount of usage it would receive). We looked at full, medium and compact SUVs, sedans, station wagons and hatchbacks.

We were leaning towards a station wagon or hatchback, when I started googling competition to the outback style vehicles.... Pow.... Ford Freestyle... I was upset to find that they installed CVT's but we are willing to overlook that for the great mpg and amount of space, plus DVD player and sunroof... Great car!

nightflyer

Post by nightflyer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 am

Nothing. It was a gift from my uncle along with a '98 F150 m/t in pretty good condition. I didn't have to get rid of my '04 Hyundai Sonata, but we did bail on my fiance's old Nissan Stanza that just refused to die.
2006 FWD Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6 base

thehumble1

Post by thehumble1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:13 am

we are giving up a '97 Honda Accord that my sister gave us 2 years ago. Before that we were carless for 4 years and before that I had a 96 Nissan Pathfinder. The Freestyle is gigantic compared to the Accord, but now that the girls' two carseats take up the back seat, we needed a third row to even pick up one more person. I'm sure we'll use the extra space occasionally, but I'm starting to see it as just a squat SUV that gets great gas mileage on the highway. I love how it drives and feels though and once we make our yearly trips to Michigan from Philly it will make it seem really nice, especially after the girls are old enough for the DVD.

We looked at the Mazda 5 but couldn't bite off the $9000 price for an '06 after repairs. They are a lot shorter and easier to see out of, but also have a lot more problems. I love the CVT too and will continue to do so until it totals the car by crapping out in unexpectedly.

HeavyC

Post by HeavyC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 pm

We had to get rid of our 98' Camry. It had just shy of 300k on it. I didn't want to but the transmission finally kicked the bucket and wasn't worth the extra money to fix it. Glad we got our FS though!

bbolerrn

Post by bbolerrn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm

got rid of an 07 Taurus for an 06 Freestyle, good move
living the dream in Ohio