If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Roof Rack/Fake leather

brumil

Roof Rack/Fake leather

Post by brumil » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 am

I was surprised to discover my SEL Freestyle's roofrack has NO cross bars, only the long side bars. This pretty much renders it useless. My Windstar had crossbars and all the other makes and models I see have the roof rack cross bars to keep items off the roof and prevent scratching of the roof. How much $ does this save Ford?
Sorry, but this is just another disappointment with my $27,000+ vehicle. I already posted about the "leather" seats ($895) having annoying seams that I can feel in my back and bottom, not to mention that annoying glare off the dash.
Also, the so-called "leather" seats are only real leather at interior of seat cushion. Sides, back and trim are vinyl. That is why your back sweats. Another post confirms this, read below:

Read this:
domino31
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:34 am Post subject:

Just as a note the third row is not leather it is Vinyl. The only parts of the seats that are actually leather are the parts that you sit on. Everything else is Vinyl. I confiremed this with the dealer and a engineer from ford.

What were those Ford engineers thinking? Hope everyone else likes theirs, b/c I sure don't. It is a big disappointment! Sorry to be a downer.
Last edited by brumil on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueStyleLTD

Re: Roof Rack/Fake leather

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:14 pm

brumil wrote:I was surprised to discover my SEL Freestyle's roofrack has NO cross bars, only the long side bars. This pretty much renders it useless. My Windstar had crossbars and all the other makes and models.
brumil,
I am really confused. Did you even look at the Freestyle before you bought it? You obviously dumped your Windstar for a reason .... most people don't spend $27K+ without checking out the product at least a little. Maybe you can get your Windstar back if you hurry. Sorry to be blunt ...
BlueStyleLTD
2006 FWD Limited with the works
Dark Blue Pearl with Black Interior
Adopted 14 January 2006

brumil

TO bluestyleltd

Post by brumil » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm

My 1996 Windstar had over 100,000 miles on it and just developed a head gasket problem. Otherwise, I would have kept it indefinitely.
Ford should not advertise "leather" interior when most of the materials are vinyl. Thanks for replying.

brumil

TO bluestyleltd

Post by brumil » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm

repeated message, sorry.

AZ Freestylin'

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:22 pm

My previous car was a $33k top of line VW Passat with leather seats and it had vinyl sides and back as well. It's not just Ford.

Like BlueStyleLTD mentioned, it doesn't seem that you are happy with the Freestyle at all and now you are looking for anything negative about it.

I hope the best for you and whatever you decide to do with it.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Peter

05' SEL Norsea Blue / Light Gunmetal / Shale Cloth / FWD / DVD / Moonroof / Remote Starter and other cool things.

boatshaper

Leather misrepresentation or misinterpretation?

Post by boatshaper » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:25 pm

The gripe about the seats not being all leather is not unique to Ford, but is pretty much industry-wide. If you read the promotional materials, almost every one specifies "Leather Seating Surfaces". This means leather in the places you touch, and vinyl elsewhere; it is not the same as "Leather Seats".
In defense of the Freestyle, all of the brochures and also the Ford web site specifically indicate vinyl for the third seat.

I was also disappointed with the roof "rack"; nowhere near as versatile as what I had on my Sable, but it's still a long way from useless.
Obviously some aftermarket add-on carriers are required, and with those I am able to haul my boats just fine. Other people will want luggage bins or ski racks, and that may be a better way to go than to have some generic setup that doesn't fully satisfy anybody.

sweetsc

Post by sweetsc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:30 pm

As previous posters pointed out. Alot of vehicles come with "roof racks" with no cross bars. If it was such a big deal, you shouldnt have bought the car.

About the leather. You will be hard pressed to find any manf. at any price point with full leather seats. My 95 Lincoln Mark8 LSC (45k sticker) had vinyl sides.....

Its not mostly for costs but durability. Vinyl will last much much longer on the back/side/headrest and look better years after the leather has faided/cracked/torn especially if you dont take care of the leather.

Chris

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Mister Mitch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi folks,

I think that the cross bars were left off the Freestyle on purpose. I have been told that the cross bars do a hell of a toil on your gas mileage. If you need the cross bars, isn't there something that you could make?

I would think that 2 x 4's or some other material would do just fine. OK, perhaps 2 x 4's is a bit too much. But 1 x 3's or something along that line, tided down at each hard point would do nicely. You could paint then and then, voila, custom job! No, still not satisfied? Can't win them all...

Wasn't there some folks out there that actually took the rails off their car? I am sure that I read about it on this site. Put eye pads vice the rails.

As far as the leather seats goes, wow, must be nice to have leather seats to bitch about...

Mitch
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net

MaxKts

Post by MaxKts » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Brumil
Just to clear things up. The seating surface and the part of the seat your back is against are leather :) The rest is vinyl :(
As pointed out earlier, Ford never claimed to have a leather interior, only leather seating surfaces.
Mine were free on my SEL when I bought it :D
I guess you should have checked the car out a little more before buying :!:
You could have spent alot more $$ and got even less of a vehicle from other manufacturers :roll:
2006 Freestyle AWD SEL, Loaded
2004 Ford Taurus SES
2001 Excursion 4X4 Limited, 7.3L Diesel
1990 Sable Wagon, 198002 - Lost the battle with a GMC Jimmy :(
1984 F150 EXT CAB 4X4

KB540i

Post by KB540i » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 pm

I went over to the Volvo web site and tried to build a XC90, the car ours are based on thinking that they may have all leather seats.

I tried to build something similar to a SEL with leather and a third row seat. To get leather and a third row seat (optional on the XC90) the base price of $36K ballooned to $42K.

Interesting obserations: Their leather is also called "leather seating surfaces" and like the Freestyle they do not have the cross bars, it is a $221 option.

How many new cars now a days have the cross bars? I quick search I found the following with side rails but without the cross bars:

Honda Pilot
BMW X3 and X5
Mercedes ML and GL's
Porsche Cayenne
Land Rover LR3
VW Touareg
VW Passat Wagon

MrDinMN

Re: TO bluestyleltd

Post by MrDinMN » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:49 am

brumil wrote: Ford should not advertise "leather" interior when most of the materials are vinyl.
You'll need to buy a Jag to get all leather interior.

KB540i

Post by KB540i » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 am

We have a BMW 5 series and it does have full leather....and for what that thing cost, it better!!!

Seriously, if Ford was going to truely offer full leather the cost would be so high no one would pay for it. When you are buying a Jag or a BMW, that consumer is paying for full leather.

FordTaurus

Leather seating surfaces

Post by FordTaurus » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 am

I read this news a few years back. It was long time ago, so I am not 100% remember the details, but it was true.

A luxury car company, either Mercedes or BMW will stop using real leather on their vehicles. They wanted to be humane to the animals. They mentioned, to upholster all the seats and interior with real leather, they need to kill a number of cows. The animal protection groups will probably be after them.

So, based on this article, I can imagine today's luxury cars seats are made of mostly synthesis leather. Even if you spend $30000 more, you are still not getting all leather.

BlueStyleLTD

Re: Leather seating surfaces

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:34 am

FordTaurus wrote:They wanted to be humane to the animals. They mentioned, to upholster all the seats and interior with real leather, they need to kill a number of cows. The animal protection groups will probably be after them.
That's why you don't see naugahyde seats anymore. Took almost 200 naugas to make the front bench seat. They are exinct now. Little buggers. :lol:
BlueStyleLTD
2006 FWD Limited with the works
Dark Blue Pearl with Black Interior
Adopted 14 January 2006

brumil

SEL with vinyl seats

Post by brumil » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:31 pm

Although Ford advertises seats as leather "trimmed" they should really describe it as "Vinyl seats with leather inserts." I have spoken with a leather expert who can tell the difference and the truth is the seats are entirely vinyl except for a section of the seat and back which are perforated. As we know, the third row is 100% vinyl.
Just thought posters would like to know reality. Enjoy!