If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

License plate light 05 FREESTYLE

[email protected]

License plate light 05 FREESTYLE

Post by [email protected] » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm

I have no voltage to the license plate lights on a 05 FREESTYLE. From several sources, i suspect a bad SMART JUNCTION BOX which is very expensive(+ dealer programing). Is there a kit or information to "rig" tag lights cheaply? If so please send details. Everything else works except the tag lights. Please help! thank you, Larry

mmsstar

Re: License plate light 05 FREESTYLE

Post by mmsstar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:48 am

Welcome, a used part will be less $ and there are lots of Freestyles in salvage parts.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:06 pm

I would think that rather than replacing an expensive unit, just with the light to one of the tail tights, assuming they are working.
Dwight

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 pm

I would think that rather than replacing an expensive unit, just wire the light to one of the tail tights, assuming they are working.
Dwight ( sorry about my dyslexia )

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm assuming it is a Freestyle. Reply back if it a a 500 as it uses the same manual but the connections are different.
I was looking in the shop manual. The license plate light is turned on by the same contacts as are used for the right and left parking lights ( some times called running lights ). All the rear lights go into the Smart Junction Box on C2280e, as well as the front and side lights, a BN/WH wire.
The split at junction S313 and are BN/WH wires
The License Light has a local connector C490 but has an intermediate connector C913 for the power side. C913 is in the top left rear hatch piller, near the roof. It is a 10 wire connector so look for the BN/WH wire. Also check that it has real chassis ground, not just attached to the door. Use a volt meter with it powered to make sure the ground gets all the way to a real ground. With the lights turned on, one side should have 12V and the other 0V with the reference lead on a known good ground. If both are 12V, it is a ground fault. If both sides are at 0V it is a power side fault.
So, the problem can't be the Smart Junction Box or you'd have no parking lights on the corners as well.
Power path reference on 92-2 and ground path reference on 10-12. Hope this helps some.
Dwight

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 am

I should mention that S313 is the split point that sends individual wires to all the destinations. This is located in the wire harness under the drivers side door jam. It would split into a number of BN/WH colored wires there.
Dwight

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:54 am

Dwight, thanks you gave me the info I needed to solve my problem. It turns out that despite the metal hinge & 2 screws with ground wires, the door is not grounded. That meant I wasn't measure voltage although it was there. Meaning I made another trip to the parts store to get a second new pair of bulbs(over priced but far less than a SMJ.) and Voila, lights. All this has cost some time, money & emotions but, nothing compared to if I had gone to a dealer. THANKS AGAIN LARRY

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 pm

One wonders why the dealer couldn't look in the schematic, as I did and see that it couldn't have been the Smart Junction Box. I'll admit, I spend much of my day looking at machine generated schematics but the Ford schematics are like a puzzle box. You look here to find the reference that directs you there and then to someplace else. When I was dealing with a wiring problem, I had no less than 7 bookmarks so that I could visualize the entire thing. Luckily for you, there were only 3 pages for the license light.
Dwight