If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

If you were going to part out a Freestyle then...

K4uwc

If you were going to part out a Freestyle then...

Post by K4uwc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi all... I have read a LOT on here but rarely post so thanks to all who have contributed!

I have an '07 SEL that's in excellent shape but it has a noise in P and N. It doesn't sound like the helicopter but I'm sure it's related to the CVT. So I'm driving on borrowed time with it. I found an '05 Limited (also AWD) that had transmission problems so the previous owner put in a junkyard transmission. It also had problems so he gave up on it so I towed it home. I don't have a goal other than to learn from it and possibly try to get it to move under its own power with as little investment as possible. I know there is no way it will ever be roadworthy.

My hunch is the transmission he put it was junk so I should have 2 bad transmissions (and PTUs). In my dreams it would be awesome to find a way to make one good CVT out of the parts but I'm not that optimistic. I'd like to check the input shafts and see the internals. If there is obvious damage then my decision is easy and I won't even try to rebuild it.

The likely scenario is that I'll pull off any parts I can use and then sell the car for scrap.

My question is if you had access to a Limited with split rear seats and DVD and AWD, what parts would you keep? I'll definitely keep parts like coils and throttle body as they are nice to have if/when I have problems with my '07. It had a drawtite hitch and homelink sun visor which I can definitely use. Big parts like seats and doors are just too big to keep and shipping costs are ridiculous to try to sell online. I just don't want to overlook some parts that have value that should be removed before the car goes to the crusher.

ds32928

Re: If you were going to part out a Freestyle then...

Post by ds32928 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 am

Alternator. Some reports of aftermarket non OEM alternator replacements not putting out the exact voltage the PCM is looking for, and weird electrical problems showing up. Dash lights flickering, etc.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 am

You would be better of just buying a relatively good Freestyle, maybe one owner, and selling as much of the other two FS as you can before selling the rest as scrap.

K4uwc

Post by K4uwc » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:40 pm

The hard work has begun. I have the transmission out of the 2005. This is the transmission from a junkyard the previous owner tried to use. He also included the original transmission which is also bad. So I’ll open them both up and see if there are any obvious problems. Best case scenario I could put together one good transmission out of parts from both. Worst case is I pull any valuable parts and set aside if needed for my 2007. This also is valuable experience if and when I need to pull the transmission from the 2007.
Attachments
BACAC41C-D0D5-48E9-BE7E-6F422C989A1F.jpeg
BACAC41C-D0D5-48E9-BE7E-6F422C989A1F.jpeg (254.66 KiB) Viewed 917 times
7404F9BF-2118-4429-B8D3-F44C90AAAD9F.jpeg
7404F9BF-2118-4429-B8D3-F44C90AAAD9F.jpeg (245.56 KiB) Viewed 917 times
AB3CC3EF-012E-48A0-94DF-905F834A622D.jpeg
AB3CC3EF-012E-48A0-94DF-905F834A622D.jpeg (254.96 KiB) Viewed 917 times
B556D153-DD12-47C7-949C-AF01ECBBEA43.jpeg
B556D153-DD12-47C7-949C-AF01ECBBEA43.jpeg (255.3 KiB) Viewed 917 times

K4uwc

Post by K4uwc » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:00 pm

A few comments... I saw several posts about setting the ABS aside. I just didn't see any way around it so I removed the master cylinder and 2 lines going to it. They weren't flexible enough to move out of the way. I may decide not to do anything with this car and if so I won't have to go through the brake bleed process. I made the mistake of not removing the torque converter bolts first so I started pulling up on the transmission. There isn't much room to work with so things got into a bind requiring that I used a floor jack to help push the transmission around while lifting from above. It took awhile but it came out. You have to take everything bolt off the driver side frame rail. I had to remove the 8 mm bolt holding the wiring harness coming out of the fuse box as it was preventing the transmission from moving upward. The negatives were that the power steering line that runs along the frame got pinched so it's likely scrap. Overall it wasn't too bad but I'm not sure it's any better or worse than lowering the cradle. I made pull the engine out the top and try to put it all back using the cradle method. Again... most of the value of this is to practice if I ever have to do it for my 2007 so I don't mind screwing up somethings now in hopes of avoiding those mistakes in the future.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Front lower control arms, shocks, AC compressor and all it's other parts, Radiator, PCM, Instrument Cluster, Calipers and Cylinders, all 4 glasses from doors, Front and rear lights, front and rear window washer engines.

All those have been known to be useful at some point
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:45 pm

knowitall wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 am
“If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until the looting started.”
jaunty75
Pray, exact time and place of quote please.... verifiable reference ?
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm
Front lower control arms, shocks, AC compressor and all it's other parts, Radiator, PCM, Instrument Cluster, Calipers and Cylinders, all 4 glasses from doors, Front and rear lights, front and rear window washer engines.

And your point my delightful hippopotamus?

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:54 pm

knowitall wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 pm
Africa_FS_07 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 pm

And your point my delightful hippopotamus?

. All the parts I listed have at different points in time been reported by members as being useful, including you when you told us here about one of your windows being shattered by some bizarre paranormal visitation event. Topic is still on here.... your compressor work too, among others.

The clearly unrecorded event are the ones in your signatures about the highly esteemed and reverenced Jaunty75 who never said anything about his grandpa here, nor ever said any of those other unholy comments in all your signatures on here.

Pray, sir, if you are worth your karats, provide proof and references to where your signatures came from..... I'll wager a thousand those will never be provided.

Prove me wrong sir!

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:54 pm
All the parts I listed have at different points in time been reported by members as being useful, including you when you told us here about one of your windows being shattered by some bizarre paranormal visitation event. Topic is still on here.... your compressor work too, among others.

The clearly unrecorded event are the ones in your signatures about the highly esteemed and reverenced Jaunty75 who never said anything about his grandpa here, nor ever said any of those other unholy comments in all your signatures on here.

Pray, sir, if you are worth your karats, provide proof and references to where your signatures came from..... I'll wager a thousand those will never be provided.

Prove me wrong sir!
The reverend Jaunty75 calls me each week to give me a quote. Prove me wrong.

"I wonder if the polite thing to do is always the right thing to do. When I met the family from Japan, they all bowed. I pretended like I was going to bow, but then I just kept going and flipped over on my back. I did this five times. I think they got the point."
jaunty75

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:35 pm

K4uwc wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 pm
My question is if you had access to a Limited with split rear seats and DVD and AWD, what parts would you keep? <snip> I just don't want to overlook some parts that have value that should be removed before the car goes to the crusher.
You will not need any special tools just to crack the transmission case and inspect the pulleys, although if you want to remove the pulleys you DEFINATELY need them. You'll also need to order new output shaft seals, as they will very likely get damaged when you put the case halves back together. Ask me how I know?

As far as parts to keep:
[*] If you want the DVD system, make sure you grab the DVD mounting plate from the roof, as well as the wiring harness from the headliner. If your SEL did not have DVD, it will have the plugs at the base of the A-Pillar, but not the harness in the headliner.
[*] Don't bother keeping any of the rear seat mechanisms - My 2005 had to have all the mechanisms replaced with the new part that didnt bind up, I think the new part revision was in 2006.
[*] I consider lower control arms/struts/mounts normal wear parts - I'd rather replace those with new than swap in a part with possibly equal miles to what I'm replacing.
[*] Body panels are only valuable to you if the paint color matches. The cost to repaint will exceed a replacement panel.
[*] I haven't had the window regulator issues in my Freestyle that I've had in my F-150. I would suggest not keeping the window regulators.
[*] The radio is worth keeping if the buttons are in good shape.
[*] The A/C controls are worth keeping, for the same reason.
[*] The steering wheel controls are worth keeping. Mine are hard to operate, even after disassembly and buffing with 3000 grit sandpaper.
[*] Now would be a great time to remove the seat heaters and solder new wires so they're ready to install.
[*] Aside from replacing the A/C Compressor, and other components during (Receiver-Drier, Expansion Valves), I haven't had any issues with my A/C system.
[*] Aside from replacing the Valve Cover/Oil Pan/Front Cover gaskets, I haven't had any issues with my engine.

Most Freestyles I've seen in the junkyard seem to be there due to a drivetrain issue (I've looked at about 15 Ford Freestyles in the junkyards near me). The interiors all appear to be in great shape, none of them have been wrecked. Aside from normal wear items, I feel the biggest issue for the Freestyles being 'junked' are the transmission. Out of the 5 transmissions I've pulled, all 5 have shown transmission wear in different areas. To obtain the parts I needed for mine, I had to source parts from multiple transmissions, and crack the cases open in the junkyard, then halfway reassemble a complete case with the parts I wanted before purchasing.