If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

A/C pressures

freeforever

A/C pressures

Post by freeforever » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:12 am

My ac quite blowing cold on my 05 Freestyle with 185,000K miles. Replaced the scroll valve a year ago. Tried to charge the system with 134A but the low pressure port read 85 and would not come down or take a charge. Any suggestions?

Lord_Snax

Re: A/C pressures

Post by Lord_Snax » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:30 pm

freeforever wrote:My ac quite blowing cold on my 05 Freestyle with 185,000K miles. Replaced the scroll valve a year ago. Tried to charge the system with 134A but the low pressure port read 85 and would not come down or take a charge. Any suggestions?
Can you clarify how you are charging the system and what you are using to charge it? Are you using an A/C Pro kit or a set of A/C Gauges? I strongly recommend using A/C gauges, if you don't have any, you can rent them through AutoZone's Loan-a-tool program.

If the system already has a charge, you should not charge it again unless you have a leak or have had the system evacuated. 85psi is most likely what it should be with the system off. If the system is on and you have 85psi on the low side you may have too much Freon in the system. However, it is hard to predict what the system is doing without knowing what the psi on the high side is at.

It is recommended that you charge a R134a system on the high side with the engine off. If you have to charge from the low side, do it with the engine running and the A/C turned on, this is how I charged the A/C in my Mom's car when I replaced a leaky A/C line.

freeforever

Post by freeforever » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 am

I/ve noticed the parts stores are stocking more Synthetic Freon now, is it compatible with the old freon?

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:44 am

FYI R134a is refrigerant, not freon.

freeforever

Post by freeforever » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Freon is a refrigerant. The question was is synthetic refrigerant (Freon) compatible with non-synthetic refrigerant. R-134A comes in both versions just like all the oils do now........

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 pm

If you've been running it significantly over charged, you may have already damaged the compressor. Also check that you've opened the right valves. Using a two gauge setup can be confusing as to which valve needs to be open.
I would think that a stuck open scroll valve could bypass enough to make the low side pressure to high. Although, most shops charge by weight for specific vehicles, measuring the temperature and the pressure of the return can tell you quite a bit about the running condition of the system. A high pressure and low temperature could mean that you have liquid refrigerant going into your compressor. This is a bad thing. I don't know why these cheap kits don't include a cheap temperature strip to monitor while running and a chart to show the danger points. Of course, even if you have a full manifold gauge set you should have a temperature/pressure chart to let you know when you have fluid going into the compressor.
Dwight