If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Competitions: Outlook and Acadia

FordTaurus

Competitions: Outlook and Acadia

Post by FordTaurus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:42 pm

There was mentions of Saturn Outlook in this forum sometime ago. So I search on the Internet. And found out information on it. I also found Outlook's sister crossover, GMC Acadia. I asked for vehicles information mail to my home from GM. I just received GMC today, still waiting for the Outlook.

I found that both vehicles are more attractive than Freestyle. They are competitive to the Freestyle. They have more exciting styling inside and out, two sun roofs, 8 passengers, power liftgate, etc. If their engines are fuel saving, that will be my favorite.

But I personally like a smaller engine to save gas. And the only thing I don't like on the Acadia is the GMC logo right at the center front. Too man!!

I still like the Freestyle but the twin GM are must more to my liking (very attractive to me). I think GM copied the Freestyle to create them and added more. All 3 have similar features.

I don't have much time. Just want to start this topic. I will come back later to add more.

FordTaurus

Forgot

Post by FordTaurus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:45 pm

I forgot one thing. I saw a photo of the rear of Outlook. I felt it has the Lincoln look, I like it. Why? The Outlook got Lincoln style tail lamps.

What do you think? Take a look!!

Springer03

Post by Springer03 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:21 pm

Yes a very nice looking vehicle. A lot larger than the Freestyle. Wheelbase of 118.9 inches
EPA 16/24 mpg. 3.6 V6
It will be made in Lansing, Mich.
From what I have read pricing will start at $25,000
Can tow up to 4500 lbs.^
Seats up to 8 people.

I don't care for GM products, but this looks a like a winner for them.

http://forum.avtoindex.com/foto/data/me ... look_1.jpg Bigger picture.

BlueStyleLTD

Re: Competitions: Outlook and Acadia

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:30 pm

FordTaurus wrote:There was mentions of Saturn Outlook in this forum sometime ago. I also found Outlook's sister crossover, GMC Acadia.
While you are thinking, you might as well put the Buick Enclave into the mix. The Enclave will be introduced later in 2007.

Both the Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia are based on a new truck chassis with a 3.6L W6. Both are classed as Mid-sized SUVs and as such are not "direct" competition with the Freestyle in the crossover category. The Saturn Outlook will probably be priced at or near the F/S SEL base model (above the Saturn Vue). The GMC Outlook will likely be closer to the F/S Limited (less than the Envoy). I suspect that options on the Saturn will be rather limited and not measure anywhere near the Freestyle. My guess is that fuel consumption on the 3.5L will likely be 10-15% higher than the 3.0L Duratek.

As to looks --- beauty in still in the eye of the beholder -- and both look like "trucks" to me. Shrunken Envoy or Pregnant Vue comes to mind.

The Buick Enclave is very distinctive in my opinion. It has some pretty neat features and a fairly luxurious interior. The full length glass roof with power slides is one point of interest. The multiple DVD screens on adjustable rails is another. Navigation system, wood grain and leather interior. Nice --- Neat but that'll add a bunch on the bill --- I would guess in the $42-44K arena if not more.

IMHO. Freestyle still is the best of breed for the value. That's why I have one. If something else suits your fancy or fits your needs better --- then go for it. You are doing the right thing in doing your research up front.
BlueStyleLTD
2006 FWD Limited with the works
Dark Blue Pearl with Black Interior
Adopted 14 January 2006

FordTaurus

Unibody

Post by FordTaurus » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:46 pm

After reading your responds, I search on the Internet again. I found out that the Lambda platform is unibody platform. They are not truck chassis. They provide car like ride and built. The Outlook, Acadia and Enclave will be competitions directly to Freestyle, Highlander, and Pilot.

At the beginning, I knew Brick Enclave are sister of the Outlook and Acadia. I did not mention the Enclave, because of its curve shape and windows design seems to me looking more like a Infinity FX and the interior looks too old and overly fitted with unsightly wood dash. I don't like it. Compare to the boxy Freestyle, the Enclave is beany.

Yes, to me their fuel economy are disappointed.

FordTaurus

Enclave

Post by FordTaurus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:25 am

Thanks for your suggestion! I original don't like the Buick Enclave. But since your suggestion, I went to Buick web site and take a look. I fell in love with it. Oh! It may have those fold down tables at the seats backside.

The curve look is what I like. May be I am into the 1996 Taurus kind of a guy. Ten years from now the Enclave still look fashionable. Like the 98 Sable I own from new, 8 years later it still looks up-to-date on the road. just love it.

Hope the price of the Enclave won't be to high. I still want to see what the 08 Freestyle update looks like! Hope it will be good!

jmcumming

Post by jmcumming » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 pm

If only the Acadia was starting at $25K. I just punched it up on KBB, and it's listing the FWD SLE at a list of $29,990 ($28K invoice), including delivery. While I think it's much better looking than the Freebie, I think they've overpriced it. The FWD LTD Freebie is $29,900 ($27.6K invoice) for starters, and has $1K in incentives plus financing to boot. If I option up the Freebie with everything I'd want (pretty much all options but sunroof and navi), it's about $32K ($29.6K invoice). The GMC optioned up comes to $33.2K ($30.7K invoice).

And in this case, it's comparing the top line Freestyle to the entry GMC. If I didn't care about the LTD features and stepped into a SEL, I could pocket another $2K-$2.5K or so.

The big IF for me is a few things the GMC has over the Ford. The GMC has the better styling, and the 275HP engine, and the longer standard powertrain warranty. I'd consider the playing field even with the 3.5L on the '08 Freestyle, but I'm not sure that's going to be an option for us (our Grand Cherokee lease is up in February). I don't think the Freestyle is all that underpowered, though I'm sure the 6-speed may calm some of the engine room racket of the CVT that some find annoying. I couldn't find the mileage on the GMC, but I think I recall reading that it was around 25-26MPG tops on the highway, so again, advantage Ford. So at this point, I'm torn. I'm eligible for supplier pricing on both. I have a GM card that will get me at least $1K off the GMC. I've got a Citi Driver's Edge card that has about $1K towards either car (too bad they did away with the Ford Driver's Edge card).

I'm still leaning towards the Ford, but I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't check out the GMC at the same time. The Edge is not in the running. C&D didn't give it the best review. At 4528lbs, it's quite the porker and limited to 5 seats. Not any real price advantage either. The Highlander is about as boring as can be. And the smaller Japanese utes (CR-V and the new Outlander) aren't that much of a bargain either by the time higher finance rates are factored in. I'll still give the Outlander a look-see though. Not a big fan of the CX-7 (premium fuel and 5-seater only) or the CX-9. Something about the styling of both doesn't do it for me.

It just amazes me at how much Ford neglects one of the best vehicles they have going. They don't advertise it for the first 2 years, and then they slow play moving to the 3.5L to give the edge to the Edge, so to speak. We'll see what happens in a few months when the tire kicking gets serious. Anyone know when Job 1 will be on the '08's?