If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Competition to the Freesyle

hemant

Competition to the Freesyle

Post by hemant » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:21 pm

I just placed an order for a Black on Black Freestyle Limited. The new Freestyle should arrive by August 1.

I'm trading in my beloved Mercedes C240 with the expectation that my Freestyle will meet my growing family's needs for several years. It's hard to let go of my Mercedes. It's awesome, but it's a little small for a family of four.

As I was surfing the web regarding similar SUV's and Crossovers, it looks like the Saturn Outlook is going to be a competitor to the Freestyle.

On paper the upcoming Saturn model matches up very closely to the Freestyle including the 3rd seat legroom.

I hope I chose the right vehicle.

Hemant Phadnis
Ossining on the Hudson, NY

BlueStyleLTD

Re: Competition to the Freesyle

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:34 am

hemant wrote:I just placed an order for a Black on Black Freestyle Limited. .... I hope I chose the right vehicle.
Welcome to the Freestyle site. :D How long do you think that you'll have to wait for delivery? 2007 or 2006??

FWIW, both the wife and I are VERY happy with the Freestyle. I really don't think that the Saturn can compete on the same level. No sense looking back .... anyway !!! :lol:
BlueStyleLTD
2006 FWD Limited with the works
Dark Blue Pearl with Black Interior
Adopted 14 January 2006

hemant

Competition to the Freestyle

Post by hemant » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:21 am

Hey, there.

Thank you for the warm welcome. We're very excited about the car. Disappointed to trade in our Mercedes, but we think it will be the right thing to do.

We're expecting our 2007 to be delivered August 1. I placed the order at the end of May and '07's started arriving at our dealer's lot June.

We bought the Freestyle with X-Plan pricing: Black on Black Limited with AWD, Leather seats, DVD, sunroof, back up sensor, power adjustable pedals, fully loaded for under $30K.

Couldn't pass up the deal, really.

Hopefully all of us enthusiasts can arrange a group meeting/trip or jamboree that Jeep drivers enjoy. Maybe a group trek to Dearborn HQ to convince them to keep the Freestyle coming.

Power in unity.

Hemant

FordTaurus

Competition to the Freestyle

Post by FordTaurus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:58 am

I just joined this forum, because member "hemant" mentioned he got his 07 Freestyle fully loaded for under $30,000. Is that true? Once I read that, I knew I have to join to ask you this question!

WOW! A Fully loaded Freestyle Limited listed MSRP at around $38,000(not 100%sure). You got it for under $30,000. Really? Did you get the navigation system too?

I am the first time posting in this forum. I had been looking and reading news, pictures and everything about the Freestyle since 2004. I have not buy it yet. First, I am still trying to have baby. No luck to me and my wife, yet! Second, the Freestyle is missing a few minor features, like power liftgate! And the styling is too plain.

I have been thinking about waiting for the 2008 re-style Freestyle before making a purchase. If the Mercury Meta One ever come in to the market, I will buy that instead. I like that style more. I hope Ford will make a Freestyle Hybrid, but no plan yet!

I currently own a 1998 Mercury Sable and love it. Trouble free for 7 years, and it is now running perfectly. I wish my next vehicle to be 7 passengers, fuel efficient, and loaded with air bags.

BlueStyleLTD

Re: Competition to the Freestyle

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:18 am

FordTaurus wrote:I just joined this forum, because member "hemant" mentioned he got his 07 Freestyle fully loaded for under $30,000. Is that true? Once I read that, I knew I have to join to ask you this question!
Note that he said that he got it on the "X" Plan ... that is some sort of employee or special discount.

My 2006 Freestyle Ltd base was $28,530. With $6,065 in options (everything available but the AWD) and $700 Destination and Delivery, it topped out the MSRP at $35,295. A 10% discount and a 10-year old trade-in will get you close to that $30K price.
FordTaurus wrote:And the styling is too plain.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think the styling of the Freestyle is one of the best on the road today.
BlueStyleLTD
Adopted 14 January 2006

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:17 pm

The X plan is, so the dealer told me, a Ford employee family discount plan. It's the same as the Z plan, except that the Z plan that we use is for the family of retired employees. Our family member that was a retired Ford employee is now deceased, but the plan is in effect so long as his spouse lives. That's my sister. We now have our 4th vehicle bought under the Z plan.

That retired, now deceased employee was movie star James Stewart's ball turret gunner during WWII. I was looking at a picture of the crew with their plane and I asked her what her husband's job was on the plane. She said "Tail gunner, I think", then when I asked again she pointed to the belly ball turret. Quentin was a small fellow, as were all the ball turret gunners. His sons said he was a ball turret gunner.

BlueStyleLTD

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:07 pm

Ken wrote:That retired, now deceased employee was movie star James Stewart's ball turret gunner during WWII. .... Quentin was a small fellow, as were all the ball turret gunners.
I believe that Jimmy Stewart retired from the US Air Force as a Brigadier (1-star) General. I bet Quentin had some great stories. The ball turret position was indeed a heroes location. Good on You and his family !! :D
BlueStyleLTD
Adopted 14 January 2006

BlueStyleLTD

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:08 pm

BlueStyleLTD wrote:
Ken wrote:That retired, now deceased employee was movie star James Stewart's ball turret gunner during WWII. .... Quentin was a small fellow, as were all the ball turret gunners.
I believe that Jimmy Stewart retired from the US Air Force as a Brigadier (1-star) General. I bet Quentin had some great stories. The ball turret position was indeed a heroes location. B-29s??? Good on You and his family !! :D
BlueStyleLTD
Adopted 14 January 2006

BlueStyleLTD

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Duplicate post.
BlueStyleLTD
Adopted 14 January 2006

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:59 pm

BlueStyleLTD wrote:
BlueStyleLTD wrote:
I believe that Jimmy Stewart retired from the US Air Force as a Brigadier (1-star) General. I bet Quentin had some great stories. The ball turret position was indeed a heroes location. B-29s??? Good on You and his family !! :D

Yes, Jimmy Stewart retired as a Brigadier General. Stewart piloted a B17 on missions over Europe. I don't know where he flew from during the time he was with (then) Captain Stewart, but at least one tour was out of North Africa. I know he wouldn't tolerate the smell of cabbage in his house nor would he allow my sister to buy spam or any kind of canned meat product. He said for some months all they ever seemed to get was dehydrated cabbage and spam. WITH the swarms of black flies, of course. (Those were free and unrationed)

We didn't know Quentin "Shorty" Salmon during that time, as he met and married my sister after WWII. He did tell how it was to have a round from a fighter come through the turret, cutting his suit heater wire on the way through, as well as shattering the plexiglass. (?) He did talk about how his hands were frostbitten and he had a hard time getting them loose from his guns after his heater quit. He also told about how scary it was to run out of ammo and just be able to rotate his turret toward fighters one time. He said they probably weren't front line pilots, as that seemed to scare some of them off. They were flying at that time over the Med alongside Italy, on the way to Germany and back.

Oh, the Z and X plans are below invoice.

hemant

Post by hemant » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:49 pm

Great stuff. Good to know he made it home safe to share the stories.

The car price is $31477 but I have the $1000 cash back from Ford and a $500 credit from the dealer making it just below $30k. No Navigation, but it has the DVD and Monroof, safety package and convenience package.

I'm hoping Ford sweetens the incentives between now and August 1st. If everyone will just stop buying Freestyles for the next month, it will really help me negotiate a better deal.

See you on the road.

Hemant

BlueStyleLTD

Re: Competition to the Freestyle

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:14 pm

hemant wrote:Hopefully all of us enthusiasts can arrange a group meeting/trip or jamboree that Jeep drivers enjoy. Maybe a group trek to Dearborn HQ to convince them to keep the Freestyle coming.

Hemant
I am already a member of a National Group of Mercury Marauder enthusiasts. We had about 100 owners/cars make the trip to Detroit, MI in August 2005 for Marauderville III and the Woodward Dream Cruise. Marauder owners came from California, Texas, Washington State, Florida, and Massachusetts. All over the US to be sure. It was a car person's paradise. We did the Dearborne thing. Visited the Henry Ford Museum and the huge Rouge Plant (F-150s). Five days of hanging out and doing car stuff. This year we are all travelling to Orlando, FL for Marauderville IV.

Man, if I start doing this with the Freestyle, I won't have any time left to work. ...... maybe that's not so bad. :lol:
BlueStyleLTD
Adopted 14 January 2006

hemant

Post by hemant » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:42 pm

Yes, not too bad.

I think it deserves a little thought...a Freestyle cruise or drive of some sort.

BlueStyleLTD

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:40 am

hemant wrote:Yes, not too bad.

I think it deserves a little thought...a Freestyle cruise or drive of some sort.
Post up your location in your profile. It helps to start things on a local level first. Our local Marauder group meets monthly and covers VA, DC, MD, PA and DE. :)
BlueStyleLTD
Adopted 14 January 2006

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:24 pm

Ken wrote:
BlueStyleLTD wrote:
BlueStyleLTD wrote: I believe that Jimmy Stewart retired from the US Air Force as a Brigadier (1-star) General. I bet Quentin had some great stories. The ball turret position was indeed a heroes location. B-29s??? Good on You and his family !! :D

The more I try to remember, the more confused I am about Quinton's wartime record. I contacted one of his boys to try to get my facts straight, but he told me his brother is the holder of all his Dad's medals and records. He said I'd have to call his brother to get any info, as his memory is worse than mine. That means he's in real bad recall trouble! Early model B24s didn't have a belly turret until the H model, which had a retractable belly turret. B17s did after the early models at the beginning of WWII. All those that were used by the 8th Airforce were so equipped. I'll just have to see if nephew Michael will clue me in. Sister Anna, of course, has lost her recall over the years, even though she's only 80.

Later.

The only thing that boy I talked to could remember was that his Dad served as both a tail gunner and ball turret gunner at times during his 52 missions over Europe. I'll just have to call the other boy and see if he'll give me any info. He's not real sociable, so. . .