If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

P0701 OBD II Code, 2006 Freestyle SEL

Stangyog

P0701 OBD II Code, 2006 Freestyle SEL

Post by Stangyog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi all, I have a 2006 Freestyle SEL with 156XXX miles on the clock. Just started getting the "wrench light" and "check engine" light coming on when I start up in the morning after sitting all night, and goes into what I assume is limp mode. Starting to get cold at night here in PA.

I checked for codes, P0701 & P0701 (pending) appear when scanned. After I clear the codes the vehicle runs fine.

I should say that it takes about 20 - 40 seconds of idling before the "lights" come on; and not always both together. Also drove 150 miles and rechecked for codes and nothing showed up, and the car drove perfect the whole way.

Have read a couple posts on here and I am gonna try changing the fluid and both filters to see if this remedies the problem.

Just looking for some more insight, and wondering if anyone else had had this similar issue, and if a fluid change has corrected the problem.

russ2015

Re: P0701 OBD II Code, 2006 Freestyle SEL

Post by russ2015 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:14 pm

I had a similar experience with mine after changing the tranny fluid with a NAPA kit. Whenever it was cold, it would go into "limp home mode". After it would warm up a little, I would shut off and re start and everything would be ok. I replaced the filter AND gasket with OEM and everything works fine again. I got this information from someone else who had done this same thing on this site

Stangyog

Re: P0701 OBD II Code, 2006 Freestyle SEL

Post by Stangyog » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:01 pm

UPDATE: Changed both filters and 5.5 quarts of CVT fluid. Was a little more difficult than I thought it would be, but seemed to have corrected the problem. Fluid was pretty bad, and the high pressure filter didn't look like the new one. It had what I would call a ribbon wrapped around the circumference like a candy cane, and it also had metal bottoms. No material found in the pan when pulled, so i was pleased with that. Plan on changing the fluid only in the spring again, to try to get more of the old stuff out.