If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

I BID YOU ALL A FOND FAREWELL

brijack515

I BID YOU ALL A FOND FAREWELL

Post by brijack515 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:09 pm

I have owned three FS's over the past ten years with great success and satisfaction. My current (last) FS was a 2005 Limited with all the bells and whistles and served me well for the past two years. But, all good things come to an end at some time or another.

I live on Staten Island here in NY City and Saturday, I loaded up the wife, daughter, her husband and two grand kids and headed down the Garden State Parkway for a day in Cape May. Halfway there, she went into "Safe Mode" at 70 mph and we coasted to a stop on the shoulder with the TC light, Wrench light lit as well as the Check Engine light and the Check Transmission light on the information display. Further inspection showed CVT Fluid on the ground under the transmission. I looked closely under the hood and saw a bunch of fluid pooled on the top of the CVT by the fill plug. It appears that the CVT "puked" back through the dip stick due to over heating of the fluid. My heart sank since we were at the halfway point. I did carry an OBD reader and was able to reset the codes and was able to restart the car without trouble.

We did continue to Cape May with only the TC light on which showed a P1889 code. I kept the speed down to prevent any further trouble and we did make it through the entire day safely.

The "puking" incident is indicative of an impending transmission failure and I am well aware of the cost which I did not have the cash to lay out. So, during lunch, I searched the inventory for a dealer I use and they had three vehicles I was willing to buy. All were Mazda CX9's. We managed to drive the car 150 miles from Cape May, NJ to Avenel, NJ via back roads without any major troubles.

Our family members have purchased seven cars from this dealer and I have nothing but praise for them. I did however have some thoughts on how much I would take for trade on my FS and knowing the condition, I said nothing and was quite pleased at their offer of $3500. I selected my Mazda, a 2013 CX9 Grand Touring with 20,000 miles and loaded to the brim with options and a really decent price.

So, I am now out of the FS world after three beauties: Bertha, Alice and Karena.

I want to wish the best to all of you and have thoroughly enjoyed the company and knowledge of my fellow FS owners on this page. I only hope that I can find an equally enjoyable group for the Mazda CX9.

Be well and God Bless.
Brien McMahon

coreynolds

Re: I BID YOU ALL A FOND FAREWELL

Post by coreynolds » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 am

That dealer must really want your business. For kicks, we asked a local dealer about trade in value on our 07 SEL, they could only offer us $1700 trade in value - CANADIAN dollars! - and the transmission on ours is perfect!

Best wishes and God Bless you too.