If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Rapid Blinker??

lakes

Re: Rapid Blinker??

Post by lakes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Started yesterday. I ran out of gas and now my left blinker is rapidly blinking. Sooo aggravating!!!!!

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Calm down already. A rapid blinker is usually just a sign of a burned-out bulb.. either front or rear. Very easy to fix. Maybe even covered under warranty.
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:15 pm

I had the rapid blinkers on both sides for about 20 minutes and when I restarted the car about an hour later, it was back to normal. It hasn't come back since and that's been several months ago. I have no explanation for it.

amylouella

Post by amylouella » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Every time my blinkers have started doing this, it's always been a bulb out. I seem to go through them like crazy, though! And if I ignore it for more than a day, my key fob will quit working. My husband said that the keyfob is programmed to do that so you can't ignore the lights, but he's been known to make things up before! :lol: However, I've had the keyfob problem every time a bulb goes out, and it's always fixed by changing the bulb, so maybe he's not fibbing this time??

jesse_ohio

Post by jesse_ohio » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Well I had the fast turn signal today too -- and it's NOT the bulb :P

I had the same symptoms as a couple of the previous posters:

- Drove to work this morning, all was well
- IMPORTANT NOTE: I was very low on gas -- less than 30 miles left!
- Parked all day
- On the way out to the car in the evening, I hit the "unlock" button twice from the keyfob from ~50 feet away.
- When I got to the car I was surprised to find the doors still locked. Very surprised, because the keyfob with my Freestyle has an incredible range!
- I tried unlocking it with the keyfob from close range and it refused to work. I assumed it was a weak battery and tried holding the button down from point blank range. It worked to unlock the front door, so I figured it was just the battery.
- I started driving, and immediately realized when I first used the turn signal that it was blinking WAY fast. Double time. Obviously my first thought was a bad bulb - obviously, this is a normal symptom. But I was a little uneasy given that it started happening at the same time as they keyfob issue (I started to distrust the electronics in the FS!)
- Since I was low on gas I stopped at the first station to fill up. While it was pumping I tested all four turn signal bulbs -- all were good and worked fine (just double speed). Hmm...
- While I continued waiting for the gas to pump, I played with the keyfob some more. Even from inside the car, the keyfob would simply not work with a normal, quick button press. If I held the button down for 3-4 seconds, the lock would operate. Another 3-4 seconds, the back doors would unlock. Same for locking. But never with a quick press.

Even after my ~35 minute drive home, the turn signals were still not working correctly. I read through the owner's manual, looking for anything related, with no luck. Then I search this site and found this post - at least I knew I wasn't alone!

Anyway, after an hour or so I went for another drive, and the problem is gone now - just like the guy before me.

The only common thread I can see is the low gas. For some reason, the FS' electronics apparently freak out when the car sits all day with very little fuel. I can't think of a logical explanation for this (I've seen fuel pumps act up in this circumstance, sure, but why the keyfob and blinkers??). The fact that it's been replicated by several FS owners for sure indicates that there is some technical reason for it, but it might not be that big a deal. Just keep a decent amount of fuel in your FS when parking for awhile and you should be okay. And once the tank gets refilled and the car sits, it apparently "resets". Dunno.

So that was waaaayy too long, but I wanted to provide some detail for anyone else who stumbles across this when searching about the same problem.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:15 pm

Jesse - thanks for the long description - and very close to what I experienced about a year ago. But in my case, low gas wasn't an issue. What was? There was a rogue 12 volt adapter for a game system left plugged in overnight. It wasn't enough to kill the battery, but perhaps enough to confuse the computer system. Like yours, sitting shut down for quite a while seemed to solve the problem, and it hasn't come back since (knock on wood). Was it, in my case, the slow drain via the 12v adapter? Not sure - but it was the only oddball thing that happened. But the similar behavior means there must be some sort of firmware or SW error in the computer inherent in all FS's.

Still a mystery...

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

MikeyP

Post by MikeyP » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:23 am

Having the same issue.. rapid blinking on a left turn signal. Get out to check and all the bulbs are working fine. Next day everything is working fine. A week or so later another rapid blink, but all the bulbs are working. Key fob is working fine. Gas tank is near full. A little aggravating. I think I'll replace the bulbs anyways to see if that helps. Probably just a short?

jesse_ohio

Post by jesse_ohio » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:45 am

MikeyP wrote:Having the same issue.. rapid blinking on a left turn signal. Get out to check and all the bulbs are working fine. Next day everything is working fine. A week or so later another rapid blink, but all the bulbs are working. Key fob is working fine. Gas tank is near full. A little aggravating. I think I'll replace the bulbs anyways to see if that helps. Probably just a short?
In your case, it's probably just a bad or intermittent bulb or bulb housing. Oftentimes corrosion can build up where the bulb plugs into the housing and cause intermittent connection issues like this. I'd start with the back left bulb and check for corrosion. You can clean it with a steel wire brush if you find any. Even if you don't find corrosion, replacing the bulbs on the left side would be a good start.

lead.wrist

Post by lead.wrist » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 am

Took my Freestyle in with a list of issues and got answers, two of which are relavent to this thread.

Answering the keyfob distance/rapid blinkers, I was told by the service dept. that this is caused when the anti-theft system is activated. If you try to open the car without unlocking first or press on the hood while armed it will activate the system. It's meant to indicate someone was trying something to your car.

Check Engine Light, error code pointed to Fuel Sending Unit failure: This will occur if you pump less then 5 gallons of gas or if you do more then two clicks on the gas pump handle when filling up. In our case it was a componded affect, the while didn't want to pay 20 center more per gallon at a station so put in a few gallons to get down the road to another one that was way cheaper. Few days later I topped up the tank and did more then two clicks at the pump to get the most in before our 400 mile road trip. All of this kicked off the check engine light.

FerretsRock

Post by FerretsRock » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I have found two packages of bulbs- probably tail lamp, but could be turn signal or headlamp or brake light for all I know. They are both Sylvania, one package of 3157LL and one of 3457 LL/3357 LL. I am pretty sure I got both of these b/c I thought I didn't have any at one time or another when a bulb burned out.

So, the question is can I use either, neither, or both of the bulb models on a 2006 Freestyle LIM?

Incidentally, I know that Sylvania 4057 is the one listed usually. At least, I think it is. I'm not trying to use these right now, but I don't know if I should throw them away or not.

InCoGnIt0

Post by InCoGnIt0 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I have found two packages of bulbs- probably tail lamp, but could be turn signal or headlamp or brake light for all I know. They are both Sylvania, one package of 3157LL and one of 3457 LL/3357 LL. I am pretty sure I got both of these b/c I thought I didn't have any at one time or another when a bulb burned out.

Well I did a google search and found that it will fit the freestyle, it's only the white backup bulbs, not for the turn signals.
Black 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:37 am

The past couple weeks my wife has been getting the rapid blinker but I thought it was just a glitch. After the fiasco earlier this year with the CVT, anything that doesn't affect the operation or drivability I try to ignore. But we were backing up on Saturday and noticed the left rear bulb was out which was the reason for the rapid blinker. Never had that happen before on any other car and I'm impressed-- it's a nice way to tip-off the driver that the bulb is burned out. After all, how often would you otherwise notice that? So, going today to pick up a spare bulb. For once, I'm relieved to be going to the auto store for a part for the FS. :lol:
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Got a two-pack of Sylvania bulbs for $5 and it was the easiest bulb replacement ever. Stuff like this is actually starting to restore my faith in the Freestyle.
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

JimSmith94

Post by JimSmith94 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 pm

piratepress wrote:The past couple weeks my wife has been getting the rapid blinker but I thought it was just a glitch. After the fiasco earlier this year with the CVT, anything that doesn't affect the operation or drivability I try to ignore. But we were backing up on Saturday and noticed the left rear bulb was out which was the reason for the rapid blinker. Never had that happen before on any other car and I'm impressed-- it's a nice way to tip-off the driver that the bulb is burned out. After all, how often would you otherwise notice that? So, going today to pick up a spare bulb. For once, I'm relieved to be going to the auto store for a part for the FS. :lol:
I've been driving since the early 1960s and don't remember any car, truck, or motorcycle that DIDN'T blink fast when a bulb burns out. I don't think it was a special design, just the way the blinker circuit works. When a bulb burns out, the resistance in the circuit is less, so the capacitor fires faster.

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:15 pm

It has been a very, very long time since I had the fast blinker and I still have not replaced any of the blinker bulbs, so it's definitely not the bulb. In my case it corrected itself, whatever it was.