If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ford Freestyle Haters Club

iikon

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Well picked up the car today and all is well, guy only charged 600 to swap it out, and the tranny came filled with fluid so don't have to spend a 100 bucks on fluid.

bengoshi2000

Post by bengoshi2000 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:57 pm

I'd like to apply for membership (even though my Freestyle isn't helicoptering... yet).

Two months ago the whining started. I thought it was the power steering so I did a flush and refill. Obviously, no dice. Finally got back to it this weekend and determined the whining noise is only present in P, N and when in motion (FWD and REV).

I took it to our local Ford dealer today and their head mechanic (a transmission guru) listened and agreed that it was the transmission. He advised replacement vs. repair. I asked why. He explained that the input shaft *may* be the problem, but it could be more.

He took me in the shop and showed me a CFT30 splayed on his workbench. It had come in with the whining and he replaced the input shaft and associated bearings. Once back on the road, it was still whining. He pulled the tranny again and went beyond the input shaft and found that there was abnormal wear/damage to the variator assembly. He said he hadn't calculated the parts/labor yet, but that it was going to be comparable to a new CVT from Ford.

So here I sit with a nice Freestyle Limited (with 141k miles, bought at 73k miles) that will be paid off in January. Now it needs a repair that will be anywhere between 25-75% of the car's retail value.

Anyone want to buy it?

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello, bengoshi2000! As the President of the Freestyle Haters Club, I'd like to welcome you. We don't discriminate here as my CVT's demise was from a bad Mechatronics unit. Instead, we sympathize with those who are afflicted by Ford's evil and temperamental CVT.

If you plan on keeping the Freestyle several more years, it may be worth the investment to repair it. But if not, then your best option is to try and off-load it as a "Mechanic's Special" or simply for parts.

Good luck with whichever path you choose!
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:45 am

Mr President SIR, may thy CVT's days be long........well spoken.

mr bengoshi, sorry to read about your CVT's issues.

I'm clearly not a certified expert on these CVTs to discount your Tech's Report but i can tell for sure that there's a classic behavior in the CVT which point out IF its savable (early) or not....this has been well documented on this forum and interwebs.

IF the whining ever mutates into that miserable "blop-blop-blop-blop-blop" noise in P and N only, the CVT is 99% repairable with just an "Input Shaft, Bearing and O'ring" replacement......this is the early behavioral noise the CVT will make to tell that its repairable....Car should not be driven again IF this noise crops up.

fixing/reparing a CVT with a Blop-Blop-Blop noise can be done by any one with basic car repair knowledge (i'm of that firm opinion, having helped dismantle one) - it can even be done without special tools, the HARD part is dropping the CVT out of the car and mounting it back again.

any other noise(s) beyond the "blop-blop-blop" in P and N means much more components than those 3 need to be changed in the CVT, then the chances of saving it starts to nose-dive drastically.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

bengoshi2000

Post by bengoshi2000 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:23 am

Thank you gentlemen for the commiseration. I needed that!

I've read all the threads I could find on the input shaft repair and I'm confident that if the tranny were out, I could do the input shaft. R/R of the tranny looks like the worst part (especially considering I have no access to a lift and I don't have a garage to work in).

Factoring in the possibility of the damage being beyond the input shaft has likely scared me out of any repair. I don't have the $$ or time to do this twice. I have to have a vehicle to travel at Thanksgiving. Two weeks just isn't enough time.

I used to have a Mercedes w123. I'd pull and even rebuild one of those trannys on my kitchen table if needed (and I'd only be out <$1000). This cft30 is an entirely different animal.

I think the "replace vehicle soon" light may be on...

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:58 am

mr bengoshi, please know that i'm not trying to change your mind here, but if this is of any use:

ours started with a whine, for several thousand miles........i thought that the noise was on the engine side and kept procrastinating on having the Mech take a look at it , because i thought it was a minor engine side noise, simply because in the past my Hondas would make certain noises that i won't even bother with until i'm ready to take a look for several weeks sometimes.

but unknown to me back then, the Freestyle was an entirely different animal which won't take pain for too long.

One glorious morning after we got back from a 10 - 11 day trip (without the car), i went and fired up the Freestyle to go out........lo and behold, the "blop-blop-blop" noise from hades deepest, in P and N.....car had been parked for 10 - 11 days !!!

i went back and read your other topic now.

If its as exactly as you have said it, your CVT is Savable with only 3 components i listed, because the whine in P and N and Drive (only) now is the noise that paveth the way for a "blop-blop-blop-blop" noise in P and N anytime into the future.

a number of people on here have changed these components and the blop-blop-blop noise in P and N went away.

i drove my CVT to death because we didn't have the complete info on repair back then, not until first "Mike Poland", then "Mbergio' showed up.....i would have repaired it IF i knew back then what i know now.

when i swapped out my CVT, we used no Lifts nor the Dealer's repair bay.....we used 4 Jacks, and two Wooden Blocks.....done in my mech's yard.

it was tough because we had to keep moving the Jacks around to different positions to get the Steel Frame which the Engine and CVT both sit on out of the way (while the car is sitting on the Wooden Blocks which were also moved around while the car is on the Jacks).

But you will need an extra hand for sure for dropping the CVT and mounting it......you alone can repair the CVT, just need to do the first few dismantling steps in the PDF Manual.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:08 am

CVT Noise Diagnosis:
Attachments
TSB 06-11-4.....CVT Noise Diagnosis.pdf
(48.51 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:22 am

So its almost been a year now since the last post. Ever since the President resigned due to selling his Freestyle and handing the reigns over to the man in the Sahara it just hasn't been the same. :shock:

Maybe most owners really do love their Freestyles? :P

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 am

well, inspite of your shenanigans, we've been doing our best to keep up our previous President's standards, and we do miss him, just like we miss Jaunty75.

if you'd go back and read most of our member's posts, you will see that we don't hate the car, we hate the CVT only when it threatens people on here with a $6,000 repair bill just out the blues when the cars are worth only $3,000.

we've had several new members come on board in the past 8 - 10 months but most have opted to do so with little ruckus, we've welcomed them all warmly and given support where needed.

i'm currently downloading most of the relevant Service Repair Manual PDF Versions from the DVD, and plan to upload them on here soon....so many, for members and non-members.

we are proud of our immense but humble progress.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:44 pm

As Sergeant of Arms I make a motion that since you, as President, state that you don't hate the Freestyle that the name be changed to "CVT Haters Club".

All those in favor? :P

jaunty75

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:33 am

knowitall wrote:As Sergeant of Arms I make a motion that since you, as President, state that you don't hate the Freestyle that the name be changed to "CVT Haters Club".

All those in favor? :P
ah, ah, ah, now don't get over-excited for nothing.

you can't move squat 'cos we never made you a Sergeant of Arms, you're not even a member yet even-though its extremely annoying that fate has wronged us all by giving your car the good one......i suggest you stick to making motions on your voodoo, or on your pal king henry VIII overthere in the HOT place.

we feel so strong about the name and orderliness our founding President bequeathed us......his light shines over us always.

(i've just been advised that i can't post the whole list of PDFs because of legal reasons.)

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:16 am

You are out of order sir! All those in favor of removing Africa_FS_07 as president say aye!
The ayes have it.
Please remove yourself from the room. :lol:

P.S. What happened to your signature?

"Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
jaunty75