If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ford Freestyle Haters Club

User avatar
RedDog
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: AR

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by RedDog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 am

There's probably no hope that Ford will do a recall/payment of all these trannie issues (?).

I did look closely at my Freestyle, sitting there stranded down in Texas, many hundred miles away from home. It's a love and hate thingie, I hated the noise, I hated the break down - but on the bright side, what a great car, so perfect for wife and I the way we travel - even hauling our GSX-R1000.

Now we are down in Florida and the average MPG was 29.2 coming down. That also add to the love part for such a sized car. The cost to fix the trannie was mostly paid by warranty extension. We were lucky.
Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:42 am

RedDog wrote:
iikon wrote:Well I have joined the helicopter club as of this month :(. Love my freestyle, but dang these tranny's. Well going to order a re-manufactured CVT which is gonna run me about $3900 and have a local shop install it, which is about $650. I knew it was coming was just a matter of when, we got 126,000 out of it.
Sorry to here that.

Ours quit after some 140K after having the whining for at least 60K, very annoying! Now we're getting closer to 160K and we can hear the engine exhaust, low and mellow. Check that you get a warranty on the new trannie. We have a lifetime warranty on our so no more chopper sound.
Thanks for the info, Yea the sound got loud quick. I found some trannys with a limited warranty, but one has 3 yr 1000,000 so I think I am going to go after that one. If i can find one with lifetime that would be awesome.

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:45 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
iikon wrote:Well I have joined the helicopter club as of this month :(. Love my freestyle, but dang these tranny's........
sad. welcome.

what were the symptoms before it quit?



(mr knowitall, where art thee when we needeth thee.....what say ye now?)
TBH I didnt notice anything really wrong as the wife drives it the most. We just drove it to Tulsa from OKC a couple of weeks ago with no issues/whine/sounds at all, then last weekend i heard it in park and just face palmed. It is still running like a champ right now, just really loud and annoying.

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 am

Hey not sure if this has been posted or not but here is a great vid on the tranny and the 3 common issues and what needs to be repaired. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wqfIyWi79s

knowitall
Regular Member
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by knowitall » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:33 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_au ... nsmissions

There are still cars offered today with a CVT.

I'm wondering what the % of Freestyles have CVT issues?

knowitall
Regular Member
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by knowitall » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:

too many Freestyles!!!!

see these reports everywhere on the internet!!!
Your conclusion is unscientific. The Freestyle is the best vehicle I have ever owned! :P

knowitall
Regular Member
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by knowitall » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:36 am

Africa_FS_07 wrote:Subject: Ford Freestyle Haters Club
knowitall wrote:
Africa_FS_07 wrote:

too many Freestyles!!!!

see these reports everywhere on the internet!!!
Your conclusion is unscientific. The Freestyle is the best vehicle I have ever owned! :P

very disappointed, why would you post such a PM publicly?

very "Pharisee-ish"!
Just giving you a taste of your own medicine. Now you know what it is like to post someone's PM publicly, thou hypocrite. :P

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Well buying the remanufactured tranny on Monday for 4900 and 1000 core, so onelce they get my old tranny they will give me a 1000 bucks, so it will be 3900. It has 3 yrs/ 100,000 mile warranty parts and labor. Not too bad IMO, but the car works for us and can't get another one for that price.

bret1197
Regular Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by bret1197 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 am

Would be interesting to see how many members ACTUALLY have had the issue with this cvt

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 am

Tranny ordered and found someone local that will install it for $650, and fluid will run me $114, so total cost for replacing tranny with a re-manufactured CVT with 3yr/100,000 mile warranty is $4663($5663 before my $1000 core).

knowitall
Regular Member
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by knowitall » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:28 pm

iikon wrote:Tranny ordered and found someone local that will install it for $650, and fluid will run me $114, so total cost for replacing tranny with a re-manufactured CVT with 3yr/100,000 mile warranty is $4663($5663 before my $1000 core).
So the older my 2005 Freestyle gets the more sense it makes not to replace the CVT, if it goes. $4,663 is not much less than what my car is worth right now.

dieKatze88
Regular Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by dieKatze88 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:48 pm

knowitall wrote:
iikon wrote:Tranny ordered and found someone local that will install it for $650, and fluid will run me $114, so total cost for replacing tranny with a re-manufactured CVT with 3yr/100,000 mile warranty is $4663($5663 before my $1000 core).
So the older my 2005 Freestyle gets the more sense it makes not to replace the CVT, if it goes. $4,663 is not much less than what my car is worth right now.
That depends. Sometimes you "Know what you have" I've overpaid to replace some things simply because I knew the evils of that product and didn't have the time/energy to deal with learning the ins and outs of a replacement. That said, 4000 dollars is much more than I've ever done that with, but if you know the new tranny is good (re-manufactured with a warranty, etc) and the rest of the car is mechanically good... what are you going to get for that same 4000 dollars on the used market? It's a tough call.

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 pm

dieKatze88 wrote:
knowitall wrote:
iikon wrote:Tranny ordered and found someone local that will install it for $650, and fluid will run me $114, so total cost for replacing tranny with a re-manufactured CVT with 3yr/100,000 mile warranty is $4663($5663 before my $1000 core).
So the older my 2005 Freestyle gets the more sense it makes not to replace the CVT, if it goes. $4,663 is not much less than what my car is worth right now.
That depends. Sometimes you "Know what you have" I've overpaid to replace some things simply because I knew the evils of that product and didn't have the time/energy to deal with learning the ins and outs of a replacement. That said, 4000 dollars is much more than I've ever done that with, but if you know the new tranny is good (re-manufactured with a warranty, etc) and the rest of the car is mechanically good... what are you going to get for that same 4000 dollars on the used market? It's a tough call.
Considering I have a family of 6 and need all the seats, getting another vehicle with the space and luxuries (we have a limited) we have with the freestyle is few and far between. Minivans are most usually trashed out used as they are the typical family car and abused by kids. To us it is worth fixing, and the engine and all other things are in great shape. It only has 126k on it. Our other vehicle is an 01 Tahoe with 334k, so I know the age of the vehicle the motors are made to last a few hundred thousand miles.

iikon
Regular Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by iikon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Oh and the awful noise quit today but I can still hear a little rattle. I am pretty sure the bearing has been ground to dust or in bits in the bottom of the tranny. Good news, no more plop plop plop noise though :)

05BlueSEL
Regular Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by 05BlueSEL » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 am

bret1197 wrote:Would be interesting to see how many members ACTUALLY have had the issue with this cvt
I posted a poll a few years ago re this, see

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=4955

Taking this at face value, slightly less than 20%. I'd guess that this number is high, given that most satisfied owners would not read a Freestyle forum (and thus make this not a random sample), but I cannot prove that.

In contrast, I also did a poll here re "surging" and 60% responded that they had indeed had that.

Our CVT is fine so far (75k mi), our car did surge but responded perfectly to cleaning the buildup in the throttle body bore.

Recently received this year's Consumer Reports auto issue, all years of Freestyle are showing up as "average" reliability. Unfortunately they have stopped breaking out results by system, but I doubt they'd rank a vehicle with a huge # of transmission failures as average.

I was asked just this past weekend about the Freestyle and its CVT - I stated my opinion that the vehicle overall was quite reliable, CVT MIGHT have a higher failure rate than most ATs but probably not by a huge amount, but that the CVT had in the past been extremely expensive to repair. Also that I THINK that info on this website recently would allow a reasonable repair cost....

Post Reply