If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ford Freestyle Haters Club

nightflyer

Re: Ford Freestyle Haters Club

Post by nightflyer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 am

piratepress wrote:
nightflyer wrote:With the trans swap, the only things I would be concerned about are value at either trade-in or sale and repairs/maintenance.
Truthfully speaking, and judging by the pitiful $3600 I was offered for my '06 with 95K miles, I think trade-in values for the Freestyle have pretty much bottomed out so a trans-swap at this point shouldn't really affect what little equity you have left. Also, from what I understand, repairs/maintenance on the six-speed are pretty few and fair between and parts are much easier to come by, so don't let that be a deterrent.
Not so much deterrent as making sure whoever gets it from me (should I decide to sell it) is aware of the difference. Maintenance would be different and parts look up would have to follow that of the donor car.
2006 FWD Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6 base

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:16 am

piratepress wrote:.....I'm with you in the belief that the 6-speed swap could be very beneficial and less costly that a CVT swap. Knowing what I do now, I may have tried that two years ago when my CVT went out. Unfortunately, with the age of the Freestyles now, many are opting to just dump them when the CVT expires rather than deal with the headaches of a swap.
GOOD NEWS, MR PRESIDENT, REAL GOOD NEWS!

no need to dump the car whenever the CVT acts up again, thanks to "Mike Poland" for finding this article:

http://www.mike.idl.pl/FF/CFT30_gears2013a.pdf

the issues described in the article are the most common ones reported in the forums, so the solutions are there.......no need to even replace the Trans with another CVT because its easier to repair it now, since we know what look for.

The repairs mentioned in the article were all done without special tools (page 4), so i think any handy person could tackle it - i would.

PLUS, parts are now available in some places.......even on Ebay (Tasca).

Mr President, i humbly think you should write a Formal post addressing all our CVT distressed members, in light of these new developments :mrgreen:

sir, your tenure has brought unbelievable progress in such a short time!
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello my esteemed Vice President, that is indeed great news! However, given the past troubles I'm a little hesitant to jump to conclusions. Hopefully, this will indeed be the "miracle cure" we've been waiting for. Hopefully, someone in the not too distant future can try this on a damaged CVT and report the results. I, for one, will certainly sleep better knowing I can keep my Freestyle a while longer without worrying if the new CVT will fail as the first one did!
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

lightwalker

Post by lightwalker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but just wanted to get your thought on my 2007 Ford Freestyle front wheel drive. I have major concerns about whining sound coming from cvt when in park or neural I've also noticed there extreme low gear whining coming from tranny when operating in reverse, does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do. I've looked up the pdf from Mike and my Freestyle is not AWD. I'm patiently waiting to here back this is the only grocery getter we have
Using Tapatalk

RedDog

Post by RedDog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Can you still get a warranty extension? I had basically the same whining, check my posts on this forum, and my CVT totally crashed at some 140K plus. The warranty covered the cost. We did have the same concern as you - thus we took out this extended warranty at some 70K miles.
Travel Light & Leave Your Fears Behind

lightwalker1

Post by lightwalker1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:54 pm

No my 2007 Freestyle has around 145,000 extended warranty is probably out of the question. can anything be done like adding some kind of cvt additive to the transmission to quite the whining sound and prolong its life. Thank You

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:57 pm

lightwalker wrote:Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but just wanted to get your thought on my 2007 Ford Freestyle front wheel drive. I have major concerns about whining sound coming from cvt when in park or neural I've also noticed there extreme low gear whining coming from tranny when operating in reverse, does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do. I've looked up the pdf from Mike and my Freestyle is not AWD. I'm patiently waiting to here back this is the only grocery getter we have
welcome.

unfortunately IF you're hearing the Helicopter noise in P and N and whining in Reverse, no fluid and filter change will fix it.

you either get the Trans dropped right away, opened up and have the Input Shaft or/and its bearings changed - depending on which of them is breaking up, or you leave the car as it is and drive it till the Trans finally breaks and then replace it with a USED or Remaned unit.....this could still be several thousand miles away.

the good thing is that the Helicopter noise is still in Pa nd N only, so the Trans is save-able as it is right now.

it doesn't matter if the car is FWD or AWD, the fix is the same IF the car is Helicoptering at P and N.......as a matter fact, getting the FWD fixed is much more easier because you don't have to go through the AWD's extra components.

that PDF Doc Mike Poland posted also lists the Part Numbers for the components needed for a repair.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Andrew17

Post by Andrew17 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:02 am

Hey guys I have a question about how many sensors the ford freestyle have,I have a 2005 and I've been told there are four but was just recently told only two is this true if you guys have a diagram or something

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

Which sensors?
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

RedDog

Post by RedDog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:21 am

I have a great co-pilot, she is my GPS (girl positioning system) and she senses a lot, got a got a good eye for deer at night and oncoming road killed skunks, etc. etc.

That's the best sensor I have and that came as an option on my Freestyle. Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!
Last edited by RedDog on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iikon

Post by iikon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 am

Well I have joined the helicopter club as of this month :(. Love my freestyle, but dang these tranny's. Well going to order a re-manufactured CVT which is gonna run me about $3900 and have a local shop install it, which is about $650. I knew it was coming was just a matter of when, we got 126,000 out of it.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm

iikon wrote:Well I have joined the helicopter club as of this month :(. Love my freestyle, but dang these tranny's........
sad. welcome.

what were the symptoms before it quit?

(mr knowitall, where art thee when we needeth thee.....what say ye now?)

RedDog

Post by RedDog » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:55 pm

iikon wrote:Well I have joined the helicopter club as of this month :(. Love my freestyle, but dang these tranny's. Well going to order a re-manufactured CVT which is gonna run me about $3900 and have a local shop install it, which is about $650. I knew it was coming was just a matter of when, we got 126,000 out of it.
Sorry to here that.

Ours quit after some 140K after having the whining for at least 60K, very annoying! Now we're getting closer to 160K and we can hear the engine exhaust, low and mellow. Check that you get a warranty on the new trannie. We have a lifetime warranty on our so no more chopper sound.

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 am

iikon wrote:Well I have joined the helicopter club as of this month :(. Love my freestyle, but dang these tranny's. Well going to order a re-manufactured CVT which is gonna run me about $3900 and have a local shop install it, which is about $650. I knew it was coming was just a matter of when, we got 126,000 out of it.
Hello and welcome! As President of the Helicopter Club, I and the other members such as my Vice-President Africa, share your love-hate relationship for the Freestyle and it's terrible CVT. If there's perhaps a small consolation for you, it's that you were able to get over 100,000 miles before yours failed. Ours broke at 58,000 miles and Ford refused to cover it. We are now on our second CVT with our fingers crossed that we'll be luckier this time around!
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:55 pm

$3900 will buy a decent car and if you part out the Freestyle you could bring in another $2,000.00.