If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ford Freestyle reliability - how does it compare?

binder

Post by binder » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:50 pm

To mkaresh:
I am one of the 64 members that own a 2005 and are regestered with you but dam am I going to have to break something on my Freestyle so i can have something to report? 17000 miles, not one trip to a dealer for anything.
change the oil and filter at 5000 and that is all.

mkaresh

Post by mkaresh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:29 pm

Thanks for helping out.

No need to break something. But I do hope you've been reporting an approximate odometer reading every third month, so I know you're still participating. (Some people don't know they sometimes need to respond even when nothing breaks.)

That said, I've seen about one trip per year for the average 2005. It's the 2006s that don't seem to break.
http://www.truedelta.com
Price comparisons, quick and thorough
More useful reliability information

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:59 pm

mkaresh wrote:Thanks for helping out.

No need to break something. But I do hope you've been reporting an approximate odometer reading every third month, so I know you're still participating. (Some people don't know they sometimes need to respond even when nothing breaks.)

That said, I've seen about one trip per year for the average 2005. It's the 2006s that don't seem to break.

How, y'all!
Nothing's broke on my 2006 SE either. We had communication problems between us at first until I learned how little of this car is not controlled by the computer and learned how to get along with it. Bought it in January, have right at 14,000 miles on it now. Oil, filter, keep the tire pressure up, especially on the front. BORINGGGG! We're well pleased with it.

Our two Focus cars were the same. NOTHNG happened. The 2002 is still in the family at 102,000 and still nothing has happened except my daughterinlaw can't figure out how to dodge 'em big tall Dodge dually trucks. Damned if she can't get underfoot worse'n a cat!
"Why can't they see me?"
"'Cause they ain't lookin, gal! It's a dawg eat dawg world!"

mkaresh

Post by mkaresh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:53 am

Prelinimary results are in, and I'm still seeing surprisingly low repair rates for the 2006. Fewer than one in five cars can be expected to require a repair trip if the current rates continue as more responses come in.

If you're one of the people signed up to participate, but you haven't completed a survey this month, please do. If you haven't been receiving the emails, please contact me:

http://www.truedelta.com/contact.php

mkaresh

Post by mkaresh » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:57 am

Current counts:

2005: 76
2006: 39
2007: 5

The larger the number of responses, the more precise the results will be. I'd personally like to know if the ultra-low repair rate I've been observing for the 2006 has been a fluke.

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Are you still looking for people to add to this panel? I bought a brand new Freestyle Limited in January 2007. The only odd thing is that it is a 2005 model, even though I bought it new this year. (It was stuck in a legal litigation when a dealership went under).

Steve

mkaresh

Post by mkaresh » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:06 pm

I'll always be looking for more people. Thanks for asking.

savvy

Post by savvy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:41 am

Let's see. Pay $24.95 for information I can already find on this and other boards.

Yeah I think I'll pass on this particular opportunity.

mkaresh

Post by mkaresh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm sorry, but you've completely misread how my research works.

First off, full access is free to anyone who participates. And to date that's that only way to get access--paid memberships are not yet available. I'm not looking for $24.95 from you. I'm looking for more participants in the research, so I can provide better data, chiefly to those who participate.

Second, you cannot learn the information I am providing from a forum. In general, forums will make problems seem much more common than they actually are. And it's not possible to visit, say, a Freestyle forum and then a Mazda CX-9 forum and judge how their reliability will compare.

mkaresh

Post by mkaresh » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:47 am

Next results in August. The sample size is very good for the 2005, good for the 2006, and not high enough for the 2007. While additional participants are always helpful, more 2007s are especially needed.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:48 am

FLAW!!!!!! At 23,000 miles that balky seat latch on the middle row left seat finally quit working altogether. Definitely a flaw there. Dealer fixed it. It was a flaw, though, a definite flaw. (Took 'em a dad blamed week, though, so it had to be a real biggie!)

The tires were replaced at nearly 24,000 miles with Yokohama AVID TRZ tires, and the interior noise went way, way down. Suspension isn't so busy trying to find the road and stay on it now. the off key chorus we were hearing from the OEM tires just packed up and left, too. I love music, but that was worse'n a pack of unhappy coyotes!

The worst of our two flaws has been the dealer service department. I'll try a larger dealer in Tyler next time to see if they do better, but who knows if we'll ever have another real flaw, a genuine defect in the car? Other than the dealer service department, I mean- - -. Can't blame the car for that.

Then there's the con men (salesmen) that you have to pass by to get to the restrooms and water fountain. Always trying to get you to give 'em your car and sign a blank check to pass into their sweaty hands. I ain't heard an original lie yet, just the usual B S.

Ken

Jerome

Post by Jerome » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:58 am

This was an interesting website about Toyota who's vehicles always seem to get pick by consumer reports and other reviewers as best buy for every vehicle. Check this out! I did hear about these problems before but they seemed to be hushed sometimes if you ask me. I am definitely not one to bash an Auto company but both Toyota and Honda are not perfect either.

Toyota Owners Unite for Resolution: Engine Oil Sludge

View Current Signatures - Sign the Petition

January2008: TOYOTA ENGINES ARE STILL FAILING--thrown rods through block, failed emissions control components, engine FIRES, sudden loss of oil, SAFETY CONCERNS! Please leave your contact information (especially e-mail address) for this petition author and file online complaints with the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) online!! IMPORTANT: send TMC, Inc., a CERTIFIED LETTER to formally notify it and request a resolution. Toyota continues to STONEWALL CUSTOMERS by blaming them for the engine problems! Spread the word, start a web site, and hold #1 Toyota accountable!! A FORMAL RECALL is needed and the U.S. Government needs to lead the way!! The EPA MUST get involved!! **Contact me at [email protected].** Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, Solara, Corolla, Rav4, Matrix, Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus RX300, Lexus ES300 ALL ToyotaOwnersOnline fan enthusiast club (NOT!) buyatoyota? READ BELOW! OFFICIAL Toyota TMC complaints!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Toyota Motor Corporation
We, the undersigned petitioners, including former and current Toyota owners, do hereby give notice to Toyota Motor Corporation, that we are dissatisfied with the current customer service initiatives for owner complaints of engine oil sludge and associated secondary problems. This includes the former "SPA" or "Special Policy Adjustment" (Feb. 2002) as well as the current "CSP" or "Customer Support Program" (April 2002) for "engine oil gelation." These initiatives do not restore the original warranty rights of the affected consumers who continue to be blamed for the problem by this company. In addition, these initiatives do nothing to help those who had to trade in their vehicles due to an inability to pay for exorbitant repairs within the warranty period. While model year vehicles prior to 1997 have had the same sludge problem, these owners are not helped by the current program.

Pointing the finger at the owners is unconscionable given that untold numbers of owners properly maintained their vehicles according to your recommended maintenance schedule. We, the "Toyota Owners Unite for Resolution" consumer group are not willing to accept blame for this very serious engine problem any longer! We would like a formal retraction of blame immediately. A public statement by Toyota Motor Corporation is appropriate. We would also like a recall of the affected engines. If these engines cannot be fixed permanently, we would like this company to repurchase the affected vehicles once the problem is formally acknowledged. The owners must be compensated for the loss of resale value of their vehicles due to this condition. In addition, all incidental and collateral expenses must be covered. Nothing less would be fair to the affected owners!

Engine oil sludge development is unacceptable, especially in these late model vehicles. These engines are not the same after repair. Some owners with engine replacement have experienced a recurrent sludge condition. Lack of owner maintenance is not the cause of either the slow or sudden demise of these engines. Toyota owner engine analyses reveal adverse changes in the engine's oil condition even with less than 3,000 miles on the engine's oil. We, the owners, believe there is a mechanical problem which is contributing to premature wear of these engines.

Owners are very concerned about the safety of these vehicles. Some engines are seizing at highway speeds. There are owner reports of engine compartment fires after the engine throws a rod through the engine block. Engine failure is unpredictable. Some owners have lost all traces of engine oil suddenly. Some owners have noted excessive fuel in the engine's oil and/or glycol-contaminated engine oil. Owners have lost faith in their vehicles based on these occurrences.

Owners are also very concerned about the emissions control in these vehicles. Some owners' vehicles are not passing state emissions testing. Other owners note large volumes of smoke production on cold startup, while idling, and with acceleration. Oil analyses of some owners' engine oil reveal low viscosity and high nitration and oxidation within the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. There are also high levels of silicon noted on engine oil analysis. Owners report oxygen sensor replacements. Others note replacement of catalytic converters, PCV valves, EGR valves, and other emissions control components. Some owners have had fuel injection problems prior to engine oil sludge development.

Here is what the networking owners have discovered to date:

1) Toyota has NOT notified all the affected owners about the "Customer Support Program" based on a random sample survey of "Toyota Owners Unite for Resolution" members and associates.

2) Toyota is not honoring the current "Customer Support Program" for all owners who present with engine oil sludge at Toyota dealerships. Some dealerships are not providing any information about the program until asked directly. Even then, owners report vague information.

3) Toyota is charging some owners for sludge inspections or labor when repairs are made for engine oil sludge. It is denying "Customer Support Program" coverage for repairs for other owners despite legitimate qualification for the program.

4) Some owners who purchased "Certified Used Toyotas" from dealerships have discovered engine oil sludge within one month of ownership. Some of these owners have been told that they do not qualify for repair coverage under the
"Customer Support Program" because the owners cannot produce the oil change receipts.

5) Before the introduction of the SPA or CSP, Toyota asked untold numbers of owners to pay over $5,000 for new engines. Since the introduction of the programs, engine replacements are not routinely done when Toyota pays for the repairs. Repeat sludge problems have been reported by owners.

6) The NHTSA and the EPA are not formally investigating the affected vehicles based in part on Toyota's promises to remedy the "engine oil gelation" situation via the CSP.

7) Toyota technicians/employees have refuted many of the complaint claims made by Toyota owners on the Internet over a two year+ period.

8) A computer virus originated from a Milwaukee Toyota dealership and spread throughout an owner list comprised of several hundred dissatisfied Toyota owners. The most vocal Toyota owners have experienced a myriad of computer problems since speaking out about this problem.

9) Toyota executives and/or spokespersons have continued to publicly claim that there are only a "few vocal owners" in this matter. These executives state that they are "not aware of engine sludge in cases where owners have properly maintained their vehicles." These same representatives say that there are very few cases of engine oil sludge in the affected engines. They base their claim on another claim that only 3,200 owners have formally written to the company to notify it about their problem.

We, the undersigned are shocked and appalled by the actions of Toyota Motor Corporation. We expected more from our Toyota vehicles given the daily advertisements describing these vehicles as the "platinum standard" in quality and reliability. We want what we paid for...a safe, reliable vehicle that holds its value over time. We don't think this is asking too much! We want Toyota to do the right thing!

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

chaimav

Post by chaimav » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:32 pm

I just signed up, but I had to choose Taurus instead because Taurus X was not listed.
2008 T-Rex SEL AWD

mkaresh

Re: Ford Freestyle reliability - how does it compare?

Post by mkaresh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 am

That's the correct thing to do. You'll be able to specify that yours is an X later.

Updated results have been posted for the cars. The 2005 has an average repair rate, while the 2006 and 2007 are much better than average.

The 2008 Taurus X appears to have an average repair rate, maybe a bit better than average.

Additional participants always helpful.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

mkaresh

Re: Ford Freestyle reliability - how does it compare?

Post by mkaresh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:09 pm

That might have had a small impact--but no one vehicle can have a large impact when the sample size is 25+.

We recently released updated results. Those for the Ford Freestyle, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005: 56, average

2006: 41, better than average

2007: 25, better than average

So still looking good.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. So additional participants always helpful.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Ford Freestyle:

Ford Freestyle reliability comparisons