If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Consumer Reports says Ford's quality is slipping

piratepress

Consumer Reports says Ford's quality is slipping

Post by piratepress » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:30 pm

"Quality should be Job 1 at Ford again. The brand's ranking fell 10 spots in Consumer Reports' annual auto reliability survey, hurt by glitchy touch screens and transmissions. It now ranks 20th out of 28 major brands, based on a survey of the magazine's subscribers."

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... s-slipping
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

Ben99GT

Re: Consumer Reports says Ford's quality is slipping

Post by Ben99GT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Yep, and that drop in rankings can be attributed to MyFordTouch software glitches (fixed with reflashes) and PowerShift drivability quirks.

Ford's drop in CU's rankings isn't because their build/engineering quality has slipped, but because of ancillary technologies they have pushed the envelope on. Big difference.

If you buy a new Explorer you might have to make a trip to the dealer for a MFT reflash, but the chances of going back to the dealer for a rattle, engine or trans failure, electrical problem, etc. are lower than they have ever been.

tmad

Post by tmad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Just remember CR was still singing Toyota's praises while their kamikaze cars were killing people. More like Consumer Distorts.
Grn/tan 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD

vtjohn

Post by vtjohn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:43 pm

I love my Ford Taurus x as much as the next guy, but you can't knock toyota. I had one of those 'kamikazee' rides you speak of (03 Avalon), never had a lick of trouble, did 2 timing belts as maintenance and replaced an alternator and that was it. Sold it last week for good money and it had 221K miles on it. My T-Rex already has a leaky sunroof and even though I bought it Ford Certified, it ain't covered under warranty. If I can get within 50K miles of the toyota and still be able to sell if for something more than a cup of coffee, I'd be ecstatic.

It wasn't too long ago the Explorer was referred to as the "Exploder".

tmad

Post by tmad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 pm

My daughter and son-in-law bought a 2008 Camry last year. She used it to drive to work until repeated power surges scared them into dumping it two months later. They now own a 2009 Explorer and a 2010 Chevy Suburban. No problems with the Ford nor the Gov't Motors product.
Grn/tan 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD

Ben99GT

Post by Ben99GT » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:30 pm

vtjohn wrote:I love my Ford Taurus x as much as the next guy, but you can't knock toyota.
You can't knock Toyota? Not even when they intentionally obstruct Federal probes and bribe NHTSA employees?

There's plenty to knock Toyota about. For instance:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automoti ... ngine.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/TMC2003/petition.html

Ben99GT

Post by Ben99GT » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm