If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

JUST IN - Consumer Reports reliability

bertajean

JUST IN - Consumer Reports reliability

Post by bertajean » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Here is the reliability score on Freestyle/Taurus X from Consumer Reports April 2011 issue.
CR FS TX.jpg
CR FS TX.jpg (166.73 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
BertaJean
2006 Freestyle
from 2008 - 2011 & never ANY problems

2008 Taurus X
from 2011 - current

tmad

Re: JUST IN - Consumer Reports reliability

Post by tmad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm not a fan of Consumer Distorts (been burned before). That said, am impressed with these ratings, especially the above average for the CVT equipped 'Styles.
Grn/tan 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 am

Well if you take out the fix for the brakes then the overall reliability is pretty good for a 2005 Freestyle.

piratepress

Post by piratepress » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:43 am

I'm a CR subscriber but have not gotten mine in the mail yet. I don't see how they could possibly have missed the throttle body problem! A quick search for "Ford Freestyle throttle body problem" turns up 14,000 results under Google. :x
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 am

piratepress wrote:I'm a CR subscriber but have not gotten mine in the mail yet. I don't see how they could possibly have missed the throttle body problem! A quick search for "Ford Freestyle throttle body problem" turns up 14,000 results under Google. :x
please....

by the third page, "Chevy Luminu throttle body" comes up under that search. If that's your standard, stay away from a Honda Accord. Over 400,000 results come up under "Honda Accord throttle body problems"....

I don't mean to make light of the issue. It's obviously a real problem for some owners and if it's happened to you I certainly understand your frustration. That said, it's not happening to everyone, and the CR results (along with the other independent forms of data, True Delta and MSN's Identifix data help put this in perspective: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Relia ... =Freestyle

Remember, online forums aren't exactly a cross-section of owners. Most people find them because they have a problem, particularly for a car like the FS which isn't exactly an "enthusiast car". So, it's not surprising that you're seeing a disproportionate amount of issues. I have 100K on mine, no issues.

Imperial Death Star

Post by Imperial Death Star » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 am

CR acquires its info mainly from readership surveys, I am a subscriber of CR and was given the survey for cars owned within the last 6 years and appliances . I answered the car section very positively for the Fresstyle cuz I have not had any problems with tranny or throttle body (knock on wood) but that is cuz I am constantly in the engine looking over the components. DOnt know about the others but I am happy with mine. I actually spend less time and money on the Freestyle than I did my Audi. So over all I believe the ratings are a good basis.
2005 FreeStyle SEL AWD - Red Fire-110,000 miles
2001 BMW 530i (Titanium Silver) 129,000 miles
1998 Volvo V70R-(Vader Black)201,000 miles (retired)

mike9476

Post by mike9476 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:53 am

Throttle bodies are a problem for other cars too.... I have started to see a handful of owners of early HHRs that are needing to get theirs replaced too. And I think the throttle body is probably why the engine minor and/or fuel ratings area is only average whereas most of the other areas are better than avg.
2011 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
Wife's car: 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Sold: 2007 Freestyle Limited

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am

mike9476 wrote:Throttle bodies are a problem for other cars too.... I have started to see a handful of owners of early HHRs that are needing to get theirs replaced too. And I think the throttle body is probably why the engine minor and/or fuel ratings area is only average whereas most of the other areas are better than avg.
Here's the real issue with the "throttle body": the throttle position sensor. Being really rigorous with maintenance can help slow how fast it wears, but in a contact-film design it's going to wear out eventually. The big problem is that it's integrated into the throttle body. This is just a crappy design. It it were going to be integrated into the TB they should have used a non-contact Hall-Effect type sensor. The other option is to do as in the 2.0/2.3 4 cylinder Duratec's and have a TPS which is replaceable separately. Then you're replacing a $35.00 part, not a $350.00+ part.

This was one of those unfortunate cost-saving measures that ended up costing some owners some serious $$ for a few pennies of savings on the assembly line. That's the unfortunate reality.

BobbyO

Post by BobbyO » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:55 pm

The Ford Fusion scores look really good. If Ford could replicate the scores from the '09 Fusion, they wouldn't have any unhappy owners. Why are the Fusion scores so high? Are they made in a newer plant with better quality control? Or did they just spend more time designing and testing the car before they produced it?