If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Door Latch Freezing, Recall #06S45

mo_focus

Door Latch Freezing, Recall #06S45

Post by mo_focus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Begining of rant!!!!!!

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but fucking Ford POS is pissing me off.

My wife is the driver for this car and the door did not close this morning. Its cold outisde so i guess its the same stupid latching issue from the recall.

So i called Canadian Ford customer service about the issue and asked them who did this recall. All she is telling me is the fact it was lubricated back in 06 so its probably over the warranty period. WTF!!!! its a fucking recall!!!

All she did was to repead the same stupid line again and again! "sir, it was lubricated back in 2006 and warranty is over" since when a recall is part of warranty. Recall is for the safety of the passengers in the vehicle hence why its a recall and not warranty. Am i missing something here? I finally give up and asked for her superviosor to call me back. Let see what this idiot is going to say.

I should just call the freaking newspapers and let them deal with this. You would think Ford is going to smarten up with all this other crap going on with automakers!

end of rant. thank you.
02 Vw Jetta GLS, Black Int, Silver Ext. Mine
05 Freestyle, Limited Balck Int, Black Ext. Wife's
04 Escape, Limited(sold)
03 Focus, Ztw(sold)
01 Focus Zx3(sold)
01 Focus, ZTS(sold)
00 Focus, Zx3(Sold)

mo_focus

Re: Door Latch Freezing, Recall #06S45

Post by mo_focus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Update.

So manager finally called me and they told me to screw off as well. :)

So i filled a report with Transport Canada, in regards to the claim. Someone called me and they are sending someone to come over and look at the car and see if the recall was done or not. Also they want to know if the recall was the correct solution to the problem. Hopefully something will come out of this.

Driving the car and holding the door open with one hand is not fun :D

way to go ford. Ignore one guy, and maybe now you have to deal with hundreds bc you didnt want to fix mine.

So if anyone else is having similar issues after the recall post here and maybe i can show this to Transport canada as well.
04 Escape, Limited(sold)
03 Focus, Ztw(sold)
01 Focus Zx3(sold)
01 Focus, ZTS(sold)
00 Focus, Zx3(Sold)

jesse_ohio

Post by jesse_ohio » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 am

This is a common problem on any brand of car in very cold, moist winter conditions. Simply use some white lithium grease on the latch mechanism in the door to keep it from freezing up -- problem solved.

DAVE C

Post by DAVE C » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:04 pm

last sunday , all four doors on my freestyle would not close , due to the cold , i had to bring the car in to
the garage , and heat the car for the doors to close , can you imagina if a kid was sitting next to a door
and it opens while your driving , :(

mo_focus

Post by mo_focus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:51 pm

jesse_ohio wrote:This is a common problem on any brand of car in very cold, moist winter conditions. Simply use some white lithium grease on the latch mechanism in the door to keep it from freezing up -- problem solved.
My issue is not very cold temps. -5C to -10C is not very cold and it shouldn't happen. I've got a Jetta that has no issues in same temps. Freak we are not talking about Model T here. This is a 2005 Freestyle. I expect it to work for alteast to -25C. :D

As for lithium grease, i tried that, didnt work, I'm using rust-check spray right now and its working ok, not sure for how long. Lithium grease works when its all dry. I guess i have to take things apart in the summer and do a nice job and hopefully that should do a fix.
04 Escape, Limited(sold)
03 Focus, Ztw(sold)
01 Focus Zx3(sold)
01 Focus, ZTS(sold)
00 Focus, Zx3(Sold)

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:41 pm

When I had my recall done for freezing latches, I asked the technician exactly what was done to fix the problem because I have never had anything like this before on any car, including Ford, Chev, Chrysler, Mercury and Volkswagen.
The answer was, the back doors got pieces of plastic tape, the front doors got little plastic umbrella-like things to protect them from moisture. This problem happened not only in extreme cold but in -5 or -10 degrees with a specific amount of moisture in the air. I was very skeptical about this fix, but it did work and I haven't had a problem since. I have an 05 AWD SEL Freestyle.

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:50 pm

Did they fix this problem on the 2006, 2007 Freestyles? Do I have to worry about it, I have a 2007?

Blaine

Post by Blaine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 am

I just got back from Whitehorse..3 nights in a row -50 deg....not once coming out in the morning did I have any problems with the doors closing...I have a 07 SEL

katykate

Post by katykate » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 am

I have a 2005 ford freestyle, just bought it used in July. I'm having problems with the drivers side door freezing as well. I read here about the recall so I called ford and they confirmed it was recalled and was fixed in dec 06. So I have an appt tomorrow to take it in to be looked at. Of course Ford says they wont fix it again under the recall because it was done already. My problem is they didn't tell me about the recall when I bought it and now I'm going to have to put out $$ to fix it. This morning my back passenger door on the drivers side wouldn't shut, after a few mins of playing around I got it to shut but I'm so frustrated. Granted we had wet snow and then the temperature dropped overnight. But we're talking temp of like -7, not -25. I have an extended warranty but Ford Canada says it won't likely be covered under that because it's not an electrically problem.

So here's my question... has anyone had to pay for this repair? Any idea what I'm looking at cost wise?
I'm thinking it will be the same fix as the recall with the shields. When you buy a used car as previous recalls something they should tell you about?

Thanks!

mo_focus

Post by mo_focus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:35 pm

katykate wrote:I have a 2005 ford freestyle, just bought it used in July. I'm having problems with the drivers side door freezing as well. I read here about the recall so I called ford and they confirmed it was recalled and was fixed in dec 06. So I have an appt tomorrow to take it in to be looked at. Of course Ford says they wont fix it again under the recall because it was done already. My problem is they didn't tell me about the recall when I bought it and now I'm going to have to put out $$ to fix it. This morning my back passenger door on the drivers side wouldn't shut, after a few mins of playing around I got it to shut but I'm so frustrated. Granted we had wet snow and then the temperature dropped overnight. But we're talking temp of like -7, not -25. I have an extended warranty but Ford Canada says it won't likely be covered under that because it's not an electrically problem.

So here's my question... has anyone had to pay for this repair? Any idea what I'm looking at cost wise?
I'm thinking it will be the same fix as the recall with the shields. When you buy a used car as previous recalls something they should tell you about?

Thanks!
No, but i think i'm going to fix it as well and then take ford to small claims and get them to pay for it. I have never heard of a company refusing to pay for a recall. Leave it to Ford to be the first :)

Ohh well. Please update me with the cost as well. I'm hoping it will be less then 200!
04 Escape, Limited(sold)
03 Focus, Ztw(sold)
01 Focus Zx3(sold)
01 Focus, ZTS(sold)
00 Focus, Zx3(Sold)

katykate

Post by katykate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Well when I first took the car in Jan 9 and they told me the recall was fixed and that the door worked fine while it was there, my door continued to freeze over that weekend so I took it back the following Tuesday, I talked to the mechanic when I dropped it off and explained what was continuing to happen, he said he would order new latches. They called me the next morning to tell me it would be $440 plus tax. I told them to order the latches and then sent a fax to the owner of the dealership I bought the car from and told them I would be happy to pay for an costs to fix the car if they could prove to me the recall was done properly and that the problems I was having now were in no way related to the recall. I picked up the car 2 days later and haven't had a problem since.

When I picked it up the mechanic told me that the recall wasn't done properly and that he drained the water that had leaked it, put in the shields properly and greased everything. They contacted Ford Canada when I complained about paying that amount for new latches and Ford refused to pay for anything. The dealership picked up the cost to fix the recall and didn't charge me anything. The mechainic said the recall wasn't done properly because if it had been I wouldnt be having the problem now and they apologized for not catching it the first time I brought it in.

If you bought the car used after the recall I would go back to the dealership and complain like I did, if you bought it new I would go back where the recall was done and complain it wasn't done properly. From what the mechanic told me if the recall was done properly it's not a problem you should ever have again. I think the dealership was more concerned about what the bad publicity would do as I told them in my letter I fully intended to complain and let people know if the problem wasn't fixed. Don't let it go though, its definetly a problem that should have been fixed the first time.

If there's anything else I can do to help let me know.
I'd love to hear how it turns out.

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:42 am

Arghh my FS is doing this. 2nd time it has done this. First time, took about 10 minutes in a warm garage. I dont have a garage to do that with now!!! Any ideas? I bought some lithium grease

Recall was supposedly done. Just drivers door that is doing it.......
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:14 am

I took a heat gun/hair dryer, and warmed up the latch. Sprayed some white lithium grease in their as well to keep from freezing. Going to see if I can find out what dealership did this recall and see if they can prove me wrong that something was not done correctly.

This shouldn't be happening after the recall, afterall, the recall did not remedy the problem.
05 Ford Mustang V6

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:10 pm

My son's Accord did this about a week ago for the first time. Temps had been below freezing for about a week, and the car doesn't sit in a garage. The lock itself wouldn't move - you couldn't open the door, pull the lock knob up, power locks just did nothing. In his case, he rolled the window down and leaned his body against the door while pulling the knob up and it broke it free. Put it in the garage for a couple of hours to warm it up - been fine since. I think that it has something to do with the heat/warm cycles and how much moisture has gathered over time since the last above-freezing temps. Just goes to show that this can happen to most any car that sits outside a lot........

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:17 am

Car did it again yesterday; no snow/rain temperature changes.

Took to dealer that supposedly originally did the repair; said check out. Worst case should be about 150 dollars, best is that the recall was not done properly and would be free :)
05 Ford Mustang V6