If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Have any Hams installed 2m/440 Mhz into their Freestyle?

kc4wvl

Have any Hams installed 2m/440 Mhz into their Freestyle?

Post by kc4wvl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:45 am

CQ de KC4WVL

Purchased my FS about 3 months ago and planning to install a Yeasu FT-90 2m/440 transceiver in the near future. I have checked at the local Ford Dealer to see if they have any documentation regarding the 'Manufacturer's Recomendations'. They didn't. :cry:

Thus, the question now goes out to the forum.

KC4WVL
07' SEL Dark Blue Pearl / Light Gunmetal / Pebble Cloth / FWD

Ken

Re: Have any Hams installed 2m/440 Mhz into their Freestyle?

Post by Ken » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:06 pm

kc4wvl wrote:CQ de KC4WVL

Purchased my FS about 3 months ago and planning to install a Yeasu FT-90 2m/440 transceiver in the near future. I have checked at the local Ford Dealer to see if they have any documentation regarding the 'Manufacturer's Recomendations'. They didn't. :cry:

Thus, the question now goes out to the forum.

I haven't tried mine yet, but I've been thinking about it. Right now it's the back seat or nothing for me. The wife does all the driving now, so it doesn't make much difference, as I am medically removed from driving for the time being. Still, I'd like to have some ideas tossed out.

I have a TM 261 and a TS 430S. It would take something strong as a trailer hitch platform for me to mount my bug catcher, though, and we don't have one on our Freestyle. I'll keep my ear tuned to here also. My bug catcher gets a little heavy, as I made a bracket to hold three additional load coils a little below the Henry Allen 40M coil. For 2M I'd still use a magmount.

73 DE KE5ED

Ken

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:53 pm

To: oldHamOperator
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 pm
Subject: Re: Ham radio on board? Quote message
I am using an Icom IC-208H dual band radio. (2M & 440) I have the radio under my seat with the head console stuck on my shift console on a 45 degree block of wood so I can read it. The 12 volts DC power comes from tapping into the power outlet in the center console. I keep the microphone in the center console with the stretch cord running down under seat to the radio. My antenna is a dual band with a clamp on trunk lip mount. It all works fine.

Frank
KF4TQV

There's your answer. I copied it from the 500 forum over to here for you.

Ken