Might be coming up on time to move on

dieKatze88

Might be coming up on time to move on

Post by dieKatze88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Well I just got it back from the mechanic, and things aren't looking great for my 05.

It needs... well it needs everything that holds it up off the ground, a caliper, and the engine is leaking oil. On top of motor mounts, new spark plugs and coils, all said and done it's either time to dump 6 grand into getting someone else to do it, do it myself and save 4 and half grand of that, or get out and send her on her way. Still thinking about what to do, being unemployed is helping skew things toward fixing it myself (After all, I have the time.) But 1500 in parts is still an awful lot to dump into a 14 year old car.

For the curious, rolled over 158500 last night, still in Seattle.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Might be coming up on time to move on

Post by Webmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Has it been a while since the car has been to the mechanic? Those things aren't really things that suddenly fail.

Given your situation, I would prioritize the repairs and DIY everything possible.
1. For about $11 you can replace the upper engine mount - https://amzn.to/21eHWAD - start with the top one first, it's pretty easy - see viewtopic.php?t=3306 - I'm not sure about the other mount(s) off-hand.
2. The brakes should be in top condition for safety. Replace that caliper, it's not too bad to DIY that, there are loads of YouTube videos on how to DIY. RockAuto has the best prices usually for that kind of thing.
3. The engine oil leak, how bad is it? If it's just seeping and not leaving a puddle/drips on the ground it can wait for now. If it's very minor, try adding AT-205 https://amzn.to/2I2KGBk to the crankcase, it helps condition old seals and can buy you more time. Scotty Kilmer (YouTube mechanic) swears by the stuff and I've used it a few times in the past with good success. I buy it locally for ~$15. Degrease your engine (using very low pressure water, not pressure washer) after adding AT205 so you can see if it has helped.
4. Is the engine running fine? I don't recommend replacing all coils for maintenance purposes. Spark plugs yes. And have the spark plugs been changed before or are they original? If the engine runs great and there are no misfires or trouble codes don't spend any money on coils. If at some point you need coils, only replace them one at a time if they have proven bad and use Motorcraft parts. If you do spark plugs, again, ONLY Ford/Motorcraft parts.

I bet if you DIY it will be a lot less than $1,500, in fact I'd say if you prioritize things it'll be under $500 plus your labor. That's a lot cheaper than buying another vehicle that needs unknown repairs $$.

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Edit: Yeah it had been a while.

Yeah the upper mount is actually pretty easy, and I have a new one (I got it on a killer ebay sale a while back, it's still new in bag)

The Brake caliper that's fucked is my top priority, even if I do decide to sell it. I've done one before it's not too bad.

The oil leak? It lost 1qt over 500 miles, it's pretty bad. There's never more than a small dot on the ground, I have a feeling the "Real leak" is further up in the engine where the oil only gets while it's running. The oil level doesn't seem to move much when the car is at rest and the dripping seems to stop after a few hours, so I suspect my thoughts are pretty OK.

The engine is running OK, but fuel econ has taken a big dip and the spark plugs are definitely worn. If I'm taking off that intake manifold, I'm going to do the coils at the same time, just because of what a giant pain it is to do that.

I've been pricing things on Ebay/Amazon and it looks like I can get Motorcraft everything to do all the things the car needs for pretty cheap, and combine some things to save in my own labor time, especially since a friend has offered their absolutely massive garage as a place to do some of this work. It's the suspension stuff that frightens me in terms of "Money out and effort in"

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Have you scanned for trouble codes? I would still AT-205 the engine, it could slow the leak down. Just make sure to check the oil monthly and top it up as needed and you will probably be fine for now.

If you've otherwise taken good care of the car I'd recommend you keep it. If you decide to sell it, I'd recommend good used Toyota like a Camry (stay away from the 07-08 ones though). Those things are bulletproof. I'm tired of repairs, don't tell anyone but I picked up a Yaris for the kid (16) to drive so I don't have to spend so much time and effort on repairs ;-)

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Yeah the more I scour the internet for stuff, the more it looks like it's time to put the thing on Jack stands for a week and just do the thing. I have scanned for trouble codes, none found.