If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Forum community

andysinnh

Forum community

Post by andysinnh » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:45 pm

So I'm coming into this general forum area to put in some observations. I've been here for almost 4 months now, having come to learn more about the wife's new Freestyle, and share some of my car experiences with others. I've learned a lot, and hopefully shared some things that others can benefit from.

But one thing I've noticed is that the membership here tends to be a critical one. My first observation of this was a few weeks ago. A person came on talking about buying a new Freestyle, and then having it sold out from under her after "buying" it (and that story about the fingernail polish on the seats). It was obvious that it was a spoof, and it ended there. But within the next 2 days, another person came in asking about replacing some headphones to her rear DVD system, and without any provocation, it was assumed that she was also spoofing the forum, and she got slammed through many posts. It concerned me that this "guilty until proven innocent" attitude was taken, but I went on. Then this past week, other threads (some of which included myself) contained discussions that got nasty at times, with the sincerity and spirit of posters being questioned. It was frustrating to say the least.

I'm not new to forums. I've been a member of at least 6 different car-owners forum over the years, and currently am an active member over in the Honda Pilot and Honda Accord forums. And on www.driveaccord.net, I'm one of the moderators. The purpose of those moderators is to help police the forum from spammers and spoofers, but also to help make the forum a nice, even-keel place to be. The decision there was to name a group of about 7 to moderate the forum to make sure that it was the membership keeping attacks and arguements to a minimum. I was nominated to do this because I keep an even-keel and give people the benefit of the doubt, but also use my position to enforce forum rules should the need arise. If you look at www.driveaccord.net, you'll see a place where folks love their Accords, like to share their experiences, and recognize everyone has something to add.

In general I like the community here at the myff - but get frustrated at the scruitiny that others place on posters and content. Perhaps that's the way the forum has evolved, and if so it's sad that the positive spirit gets sidetracked when it need not be. I will continue in this forum to learn of new things with the freestyle/TX, and share things that happen with mine. But I will think twice about posts since I really don't want the negativity that seems to come along. And that's sad.

Peace - andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:52 am

I really don't want the negativity that seems to come along

I imagine that I am one of the ones that this is directed to, but I don't apologize. I WILL challenge when I see someone claim something that's not true, that might do them or others or their vehicles harm if implemented, or that simply doesn't pass the idiot test.

If there's one thing I've discovered in participating on this board for the last year or so, it's that there are many misconceptions out there, many people believe things simply because they sound logical or like they should be true but are actually not, and that P. T. Barnum was right!

tradosaurus

Post by tradosaurus » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:52 am

In the immortal words of Rodney King:

"Cccccan't wwwwewewe all jjjjust get along?"

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:02 am

jaunty75 wrote:
I really don't want the negativity that seems to come along

I imagine that I am one of the ones that this is directed to, but I don't apologize. I WILL challenge when I see someone claim something that's not true, that might do them or others or their vehicles harm if implemented, or that simply doesn't pass the idiot test.

If there's one thing I've discovered in participating on this board for the last year or so, it's that there are many misconceptions out there, many people believe things simply because they sound logical or like they should be true but are actually not, and that P. T. Barnum was right!
To be perfectly honest, you threw the gasoline on this fire with your uncalled for response about me driving the car around the block after a wash, asking me if I would do it after emptying the ash tray. I could have taken the high road and just ignored you. Or said something witty about liking to show off my freshly washed car. What I chose to do was to explain why I wanted to dry things off. Why? Because the wife complained about the rust on the rotors and the sound it made every time she backed out of the garage after washing the night before. Never happened after driving in the rain - only after washing. My next mistake was to try and explain myself, and then was called to the carpet after every explaination.

The goal of a forum like this is to share experiences, laugh about the funny things we do, and make the ownership experience of the Freestyle better for us all. I agree that if someone puts in a note with information that might be harmful to a car (like going 30k between oil changes or trying to tow 8000 lbs with the freestyle) we should speak up. But trying to be the police and ragging on someone for something you feel is "idiotic" (your word) does nothing positive to the forum.

I'm taking the high road - I suggest we all do as well.

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:21 am

Because the wife complained about the rust on the rotors

First of all, your earlier posts never said word one about your wife. You just said that you drove the car around the block to dry off the rotors. I said that that's a nutty thing to do for all the reasons given earlier. It's still a nutty thing to do for all the reasons given earlier. But if it keeps your wife happy, then it has value.

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Mister Mitch » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I suppose I am also guilty of slamming of few of you folks as well...

I have definite views on stuff that we do when we are behind the wheel.

DRL's, seat belts, and signal light usage are amongst the highest things to get me going.

Hey, if you want to drive the car around the city in low gear. Go for it.

I can't hear the noise of the tires on the highways that I drive on. So when you folks get going about the tires. It just strikes me funny. But I don't know how your highways are made. Are they rougher because of the higher traffic? Are they rougher so they last longer? I just don't know.

Trying to put a mega watt stereo into a family sedan/station wagon. I must of missed something that day.

Going thousands of miles more than the recommended oil change timings. Hey, if you want to. Go ahead. Will I follow you on this? No.

Putting in bizillion candle watt headlights. When they melt out the plastic housing and the front headlights are no longer working. Let me know how you made out.

Cracking the codes on the computer so that you can get a few more horsepower out of the Duratec Engine and the CVT. Not something that I would readily do myself...

Do I go after some posters that poo poo my Freestyle? Oh yea! Viciously! Ask anyone that has been around for awhile now. I have been on this forum for two years now.

Some folks seem to enjoy my posts. Some others have been at the recieving end of my posts as well. No one has ever tried to tell me to calm down or to tone down my posts. Nor do I think that any of my posts have been sensored or deleted. At least not to my knowledge.

Do I think that some people lack writing skills? Yes. Am I perfect in this area? No. It is like making sure your brain is engaged before opening your mouth. Some folks can't post what they mean on this forum. You can't see their body language or read their facial expresions. I have been using e-mail as a communication device for over 25 or more years now. All the way back when I had a Commodore 64 and there use to be BBS's.

Along that trip, I have owned some pretty weird and wonderful vehicles. I have met alot of folks along the way as well. Some I liked, some I didn't. One thing we all have in common here is that we all own a Ford Freestyle. Soon, we are going to have folks that owns T-Rex's too. Or will it be the Flex? I could live with that name change. T-Rex just gets under my skin.

Will I continue to wave at other Freestyles? Oh yea. Much to the sagrine of The Mrs.

As usual, I have written yet another lengthy post. Sigh...

But I do apprecite your opinions. Even when you take a different stance on my beliefs, I try to see it from your perspective. Will I take pot shots at you? It's what I do... :P
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net