returning Coolant leaks despite repairs

TheGeneral

returning Coolant leaks despite repairs

Post by TheGeneral » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Freestyle 2005 was in accident February 2018, replace the grill, radiator and hood (front damage) thermostat housing was broken, replace thermostat. After Car was fixed it took extremely long time to head up (15-20 minutes), we thought because of the larger size radiator that was replaced. June we discovered coolant leak at the water pump and replaced it. After it was still leaking installed replacement water pump. Was fine for 4 weeks and started to leak again between pump and thermostat housing , used a coolant sealer – was ok for 4 weeks, then started to leak again, used thicker O ring and replaced thermostat. Was fine for almost 2 months, car was warming up as it used to again however now it is leaking again somewhere between thermostat and Water pump area again (table spoon of coolant overnight). To add I did replace the coolant reservoir cap 2 months ago as well. We did several coolant flushes as well. Car has 247000 km on it. I’m out of options, anyone have any ideas what could be the cause?
Thanks

ds32928

Re: returning Coolant leaks despite repairs

Post by ds32928 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Wrap a few layers of white paper towel around the suspected leak area to make sure thats where is leaking from, not just running from somewhere else and then dripping off. Check to see if anti freeze is on the center or edge of the paper towel in the morning. Turns out my leak was one of the clamps on the top front thermostat housing. I never needed the replacement housing I installed thinking the factory housing was cracked/leaking. I now have double clamps on the hose that enters the housing front top.

TheGeneral

Re: returning Coolant leaks despite repairs

Post by TheGeneral » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 pm

hi DS32928 , I think I located the leak it originates between the thermostat housing and waterpump!
(checked with Cell phone recording with flashlight- since this is the only way to get in between the hoses and waterpump without taking things apart at this point)
same spot as last time.. some suggested that the sealant possibly has not cured long enough(should be 24 hours it was suggested).. which might be the cause since at all occasions I started driving the car after 3-4 hours.. However I will have a focus on the clamps as well. since the car was in a crash and all hoses and clamps were re-installed.the paper towel trick is a good suggestion..makes sense..I will try that as well.. will let you know how it turns out! thanks for your response, greatly appreciated