If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Where did you hear of this site?

mmsstar

Re: Where did you hear of this site?

Post by mmsstar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:23 am

RE Jaunty

As a fellow Buckeye I find him to be quite intelligent, highly informed, dignified, reserved, and well spoken, umm make that written!

Now if he were from say Pittsburgh or Ann Arbor........... :lol:
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

CARR142

Post by CARR142 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:03 pm

alt.auto.ford.misc - a newsgroup that is no longer accessible.

JaCarr

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:27 pm

As a fellow Buckeye I find him to be quite intelligent, highly informed, dignified, reserved, and well spoken, umm make that written!
And good-looking. Don't forget good-looking. Especially on my left side, which is my Shirley Temple side. Of course, my right side is no slouch, either. That's my Rock Hudson side.

axel

Post by axel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:41 am

When I was starting to find a vechicle and take my eyes on Freestyle I found this site just by Googling... And it is great! Unfortunatly we have a lack of this great cars in Russia. I got mine only a little more than a week and still enjoing it at every angle.
Greetings from Russia! [sorry for my poor English]
2005 Freestyle Limited AWD Titanium Green with around 80K miles

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 am

How does one get a Freestyle in Russia? Are there regular importers, or did you have to make special arrangements on your own? Also, how do you get parts and service?

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Thought the Ruskies invented the "Style :lol:
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

tzmartin

Post by tzmartin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 am

Found it googling as i was looking for wiring diagrams for the radio. Lot's of good information here! It can be a little bit of a time sink. I've sat here for almost an hour once.

axel

Post by axel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 am

We have some used cars here from the "grey" dealers. I was looking for a next car after selling my Explorer '95 and somehow find the Freestyle. I like it, and after a test drive I was sure what this is exactly the car that I need.

I get me parts at Ford dealership - even CVT fluid (it tooks two weeks to get it, but anyway). Engine - Ford Escape (officialy exist on Russian market named Maverick), suspension - Volvo CrossCountry (officaly on our market too), CVT -Mini.

By the way, we have a very tough custom taxes so I bought my 2005 Freebie Limited for about (you will be laughing) 25 000 bucks.

The only thing I need to do now is to change fluid in CVT and its hard to find experienced engeneer here (BMW-Mini official service is too expensive for me) to make this work... If someone got some instructions that I can show to my local mechanic -I will be much appreciate this.

FordTaurus

Re: CVT Maintenance

Post by FordTaurus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 pm

This was copied from a discussion in this forum. I haven't have the time to read it yet! It had been saved in a file in my computer.
CVT Maintenance (I have a Freestyle)

Please contribute your experience or information from shop manuals. I am especially interested in what the dealers are doing.

=====
THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE PROCEDURE AND IS INTENDED FOR DISCUSSION ONLY.
=====

I accessed ALLDATA at my local library. It’s a professional maintenance/repair database.

My objective to determine a CVT maintenance procedure/strategy that I like.

Here are my findings. Note that this information should be verified for your application and check for any late TSB. Cross check everything.

Continuously Variable Transmission – Ford 500, Freestyle, Montego

Name: CFT30
Ford P/N: 7F9Z7000B
Motorcraft: 6F9Z7000BRM (this is a remanufactured unit)

Fluid: XT-7-QCFT (it’s specific to the CFT30 use only this per manual)
Quantity: 10qt. full / 5qt. partial (unit has torque converter)

Filters: two - pan and high pressure/case
Ford Filter P/N: 5F9ZA098B (pan)
Motorcraft Filter P/N: FT162 (pan), FT169 (high pressure kit w/o-rings)

Schedule:
Normal; 60K miles (fluid+filter*) then 120K
Severe Duty; previously spec'd as 30K miles
*Ford website (myford) now says change fluid and case filter. Also shows SeverDuty has no fluid change at 30K(?).

=====

PROCEDURES:
a) Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill
b) High Pressure Filter and Case Cover
c) Transmission Fluid Level Check and Setting
d) Fluid Pan Gasket and Filter
e) Torque Converter Contamination Inspection

TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN and REFILL
Install a new high-pressure case filter when changing fluid. Drain plug is located on pan under driver side. I believe it’s T-40 torx. It says drain fluid in Neutral. Refill CVT with approximately 5 quarts and use transmission fluid level setting procedure.

HIGH PRESSURE FILTER and CASE COVER
It looks like it may be easy provided you have reasonable access. Disconnect fluid cooler tubes from the pressure filter cover located on the driver side in front of the half-shaft (after removing a bracket and one bolt). Remove 3 bolts holding cover, then the cover. Remove pressure feed tube, install new o-rings on it. Replace high pressure case filter and install feed tube. New o-rings required on pressure filter cover and the cooler lines.

TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL CHECK and SETTING
The procedure requires use of a dip stick, no p/n listed for the item. The vehicle comes without a dip stick. The fluid level must be measured at 109-117F temperature in Park after normal operation (which is 190-198F). Set parking brake and operate through each gear leave in Park. A “special tool” is required to monitor temperature. The procedure claims the temperature coefficient of expansion is different for this fluid compared to other ATF. My guess is the Ford tool is just a thermometer but may also have the “missing” dip stick built-in.

The hole location for the dip stick tube appears to be on the transmission case directly below the Air Intake Temperature sensor on my vehicle. It has a black plastic plug with a large black cable or wire coming out of it. I assume this is the level sensor for the wrench indicator on dash.

The procedure says the maximum level is 12mm higher when at operating temperature (190-198F) than at 109-117F degrees.

The filler hole is painted blue with (I believe) square hole ~3/8”. Remove this plug before draining! You don’t want to find that a special tool is required afterward. Its location is under the air intake tube between the air filter box and throttle plate on my vehicle.

“If adding fluid do so in ½ pt increment.” it says.

Discussion – Missing here is the depth of the fluid from the top of the hole. This could be measured on your vehicle assuming no leaks. Another way is to measure what comes out, but the fluids should be at same temperature to be precise.

FLUID PAN GASKET and FILTER
Drain pan in Neutral and pull pan/gasket. Remove filter. Check to see if filter pickup tube seal is stuck to case. It must be removed. Do high pressure filter and case cover procedure. Recheck pickup tub seal was removed then install new filter, be sure it is fully seated into bore. “Make sure that the filter is seated over one of the mechatronic bolts.” Install pan/gasket/plug. There is a bolt tightening sequence. Fill with approximately 5 quarts of CVT fluid.

NOTE: “When carrying out a fluid change interval, the removal of the fluid pan and filter is not required…but…installation of a new high pressure case filter and seals are required.”

“Do not attempt to clean or flush transmission cooler.”

Discussion - I assume you need to drain the torque converter to get all 10 quarts out. There was no indication how to do it but I assume a drain plug on the face of the TC. I wonder what the dealer does.

TORQUE CONVERTER CONTAMINATION INSPECTION
The CVT fluid is bluish-green when new and will darken to darker green…not brown or black.” Odor will not indicate heat damage or concerns."

It says flushing by machine via cooler tubes is not possible since it has a thermal bypass valve that will not stay open. That‘s not reasonable anyhow due to special fluid requirements.

My current conclusion is to drain the CVT at 30K miles after bringing it to temperature. 5 qt should come out. Let fluid cool and replace with exact same amount of new fluid.

My procedure:
1) Measure fluid depth at temp (210F).
2) Let cool to specified temp using on board computer in test mode to monitor coolant temp (it's in degrees C).
3) Measure fluid depth at specified temp (C).
4) Remove fill plug and then drain plug.
5) Let removed fluid cool to same temp as new fluid.
6) Inspect removed fluid for discoloration.
7) Replace removed fluid by same amount
8) Bring up to operating temp and check level.
9) Let cool to spec temp and check level.

I may have dealer do this procedure at 30K (no case filter change).

If I have dealer do this I will check discoloration by withdrawing CVT fluid using clear tube and turkey baster or clean fluid pump.

Update: From my studies it appears there may be no way to drain the torque converter without removing the CVT. Ford does not recommend pan filter change with fluid.

The filter that is to be replaced at 60K is the "case" filter. It can be seen by pulling driver-side wheel off. Its right in front of the 1/2 shaft. Three t-27 torex bolts, two clearly accessible & one tight access but looks doable. I didn't check for clearance for filter removal and there is a engine mount nearby.

axel

Post by axel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:52 am

Many thanks for this. Sorry for offtop -as I can see the mechanic needs to have a level checking instrument. does anyone knows where to get it or even what should i type in Ebay search to find it?

couvi74

Post by couvi74 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Google. While doing searches for info concerning the Freestyle. As a graphic designer / art director, I'd recommend lightening the shadow behind the "My Ford Freestyle" masthead, just for readability! I really enjoy the site, thanks for all your hard work!
'06 Freestyle SEL FWD
white with gold trim
purchased August 09 with 31k

smithmw

Post by smithmw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Google for me too. I'm a very beginner do-it-yourselfer when it comes to cars, so wanted to get as much information before I tried anything. Especially since this (2005 FS) was my first (and only) vehicle purchased brand new. I love the site!

- Matt

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:25 am

Google - when i was searching for more info about the freestyle maintenance....
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Rumble

Post by Rumble » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 am

I've been on several other online forums so when I bought a Freestyle I googled it and found this GREAT site.

Keep up the good work!! :mrgreen:
RUMBLE (Nelson)
2007 Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Ford Escape XLT
1968 Mustang GT

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:46 pm

beloved webmaster,

can you please make this a "sticky topic" ?

thanks.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen: