If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ipod and your Freestyle

The Scotts

Ipod and your Freestyle

Post by The Scotts » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:25 am

Just found out that I can hook up my Ipod through the Aux input of the DVD player.

Sounds great. Too bad Ford didn't think to put another Aux input in the center armrest next to the 12v power port that way I could just keep the ipod in there.

Only down side is that when using the Aux set up I can not have the kids watch DVD's and enjoy my ipod at the same time.

Maybe next time around Ford will think to do this....

AZ Freestylin'

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:31 pm

You would figure that someone at Ford has some kind of portable player and would say "Hey, maybe it would be cool to include an AUX input for it".

Can't complain too much...it's still a great vehicle.

Enjoy your tunes.
Peter

05' SEL Norsea Blue / Light Gunmetal / Shale Cloth / FWD / DVD / Moonroof / Remote Starter and other cool things.

Bruin

Re: Ipod and your Freestyle

Post by Bruin » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:23 am

[quote="The Scotts"]Just found out that I can hook up my Ipod through the Aux input of the DVD player.
quote]

People have been struggling to figure out how to use the Aux input. You're the first to figure it out.

So how did you do it? parts manufacturs/numbers etc please

johnsoax

Re: Ipod and your Freestyle

Post by johnsoax » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:48 pm

Bruin wrote:
The Scotts wrote:Just found out that I can hook up my Ipod through the Aux input of the DVD player.
quote]

People have been struggling to figure out how to use the Aux input. You're the first to figure it out.

So how did you do it? parts manufacturs/numbers etc please
He used the plug on the DVD player. It comes with the entertainment package.

The rest of us are trying to add an Aux to the regular stereo. Which is particularly upsetting because there is an Aux button (of course there is one on my Vibe too, but it isn't possible to use).
Alex Johnson
2005 Ford FreeStyle SE 7-Seater (Well it is the wife's ;))
- 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT (My car)

<><

sharpcolorado

No DVD player - How to interface with AUX

Post by sharpcolorado » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:51 am

What about Limited owners who don't have the DVD player (sunroof instead). Where are the AUX ports for the audiophile system? What kind of interface is needed?

DCStyle

Post by DCStyle » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:36 am

I just got a SEL with all the options but the DVD Audiophile system. I am trying to setup either my iPod or Satelite Radio on the Aux.

Has anybody succeeded in doing so?

The Scotts

Post by The Scotts » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:00 am

My set up is simple and consisted of using a monster cable to plug into the Ipod and then the left and right audio jacks of the DVD player.

For a more involved install, I won’t be able to comment as I am leasing my Freestyle and won’t be making any permanent modifications to it.

On a positive note, my brother in law is an engineer on the Freestyle and 500 projects so I have his ear on “wish list items” and have already suggested that they add aux jacks in the center counsel next to the power supply so that it would be a simple matter of plug and play for MP3 players.

I can tell you that removal of your head unit is very simple.

Open your dash storage area, the one that is small and in the center of the dash.

Gently pull with equal amounts of pressure on the right and left side of the instrument surround (carbon fiberish or wood grained portion) on the top portion of this surround.

It simply pulls out.

There are four bolts which hold the head unit in place that can be removed with a ratchet.

You can disconnect the wires from the various accessories but I would be careful before disconnecting the radio it’s self as I know that there is a TSB out that indicates that there is a process retaining “build info” on the car before doing so as it may create errors within the cars diagnostic system at a later date.

If someone can identify what wires to splice into here, it maybe a simple matter of attaching an audio input line here.

The downside of doing it through the DVD inputs is it leaves a wire dangling which makes a tempting target for a one year old.
SEL AWD Silver with Back up Sensor, Side Air Bags, DVD, and Moonroof.

Love This Car!