If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Seat belt chime occasionally while driving (and Airbag code 53)

TheMadHungarian

Seat belt chime occasionally while driving (and Airbag code 53)

Post by TheMadHungarian » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi all,

Just bought my used 2005 Freestyle with 204,000 miles on it. Runs great, love the car.

I am discovering some odd things though, from time to time:

1) Seat belt chime comes on every 30 seconds or so (for 3-5 seconds) when someone is sitting in the 2nd row seats....it happened twice so far and both times my daughter was sitting in the rear seat. It has not happened while only sitting in the front seats. And yes, her seat belt is on.

Actually it comes and goes random....there was a time when all 3 rows were occupied but no chime.

It may be not related to the 2nd row at all....I just checked the 2nd and 3rd row seats - no electrical connection on them so the I guess the car does not "know" that someone is sitting there or not.

The airbag light is constantly on on the dash, with a code 53. Not sure what this means, I am reading various information on the internet, one says it's the front crash sensor, some other forum says it's the airbag control module error....

Any help appreciated
Andy

jas88

Re: Seat belt chime occasionally while driving (and Airbag code 53)

Post by jas88 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:33 am

I would check under your front seats to see if the plug from the seat sensor is plugged in all the way and the connections are good.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:11 am

Yep, did all that. Everything seems okay.

TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:23 pm

OK, I did more investigation:

Airbag code 53: it is either one of the front crash sensors failed (connectors rust, break etc.) or the airbag control module is faulty. Not sure which is which so I have to figure it out.

Occasional seatbelt chime: it appears that the driver side seatbelt "detection" is faulty -sometimes it sees it sometimes it does not. One thing I figured out is that when I start the car and the seatbelt icon stays illuminated then the car does not detect that the driver seat belt has been buckled (no matter what I do). Only then the chime will sound every 30 seconds or so and the icon blink.
If the icon stays off when I start the car, then it wont happen at all - apparently then the driver seat belt is assumed to be "closed".

I always use my seatbelts so...I may have to intentionally short out the driver side seat belt buckle detection circuit so the car will assume it is always on. Or just go in the seat belt buckle mechanism and blow it out and/or with WD40. I will try.

...and to top off the cake, since the seatbelt detection is flaky, I can't even use the described method to turn off the BeltMinder (or what's it called) thing to prevent the chime. Kind of Catch-22.

Andy

jas88

Post by jas88 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:51 am

If you will go to the owners manual, there is a procedure there to disable the seat belt chime.

TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:55 am

Yes, I'm aware of that. Problem is the procedure in the manual assumes that the seat belt buckle sensor works correctly (so it can detect when the buckle is open-closed 9 times in a row).
Right now the same detector circuit is either permanently open or closed, pretty much randomly.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Have you tried replacing the seat belt receiver?

TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm

No, just got the car. I assume it would involve removing the seat etc...

OK now the plot thickens. I unplugged both driver and passenger side seat belt buckle connectors under the front edge of the front seats to measure the resistance of the circuit. I measured open circuit both times (seat belt buckled vs. unbuckled). So that's a problem.
What' worse is that while both seat belt connectors were still unplugged and cranked the car the seatbelt light did NOT come on. So the problem is apparently somewhere else in the circuit.