HOW TO: Add a cabin air filter (EASY)

arexr

HOW TO: Add a cabin air filter (EASY)

Post by arexr » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:56 pm

This is a refined how-to on adding a cabin air filter to the freestyle! Original posting by pltdford~

Pollen levels this time of year are extremely high, every hour I come out to find my car coated in a yellow layer of pollen, a lot of which was blowing into the cab from the ventilation system!
Here is a pretty easy step-by-step process on how to add a cabin air filter.
IMG_9340.jpg
IMG_9340.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 159 times
Here you can see the layer of pollen that accumulated on the hood and on the windshield.

SO from the factory, the ford freestyle didn't come with an option for a cabin air filter, luckily adding one is pretty straightforward!

Heres what you need:
-A multi-tool with a drill-bit like cutting attachment (Reccomended)
-OR a sharp knife designed for cutting plastics (Not Reccomended)
-A set of files or a sanding tip for the multi-tool
-Cabin air filter - Purolator C35519
-Foil HVAC tape

Total time: 15min

Drop the glove box down by pushing on either side of it and letting it swing open completely.
Behind there you will see the housing for the blower motor, and an area that was intended for a cabin air filter.
IMG_9341.jpg
IMG_9341.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 159 times
Using the multi-tool, cut away at the plastic following the outline of the rectangular slot.
Once that cut out, use files or a sanding attachment to smooth out the edges, now you should have an open rectangular slot.
IMG_9342.jpg
IMG_9342.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 159 times
From here it only gets easier!
Take the air filter (purolator c35519) and slide it in, making sure the arrow is facing downward.
IMG_9344.jpg
IMG_9344.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 159 times
Now all we have to do is seal it all up!
Duct tape doesn't stick well and falls of, that's why we are using Foil HVAC tape!
Simply cover the opening will the foil tape!
IMG_9345.jpg
IMG_9345.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 159 times
Simply put the glove box back in place and enjoy cleaner air and a cleaner interior!
2007 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD

ds32928

Re: HOW TO: Add a cabin air filter (EASY)

Post by ds32928 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 am

Good refresher "how to" post, pictures are helpful. I did mine years ago. Wasted money on a charcoal cabin filter, didnt help stop unwanted outdoor odors, so I stick with the plain filters now. I used the "hinge: method of leaving a flap, plastic cut except the left side, leaving that as a 'hinge', I can bend the flap out of the way to change filters.

I cant see a big difference in leaving a 'flap' in the opening like the original post recommended, or cutting out the whole opening. The way you show, the sticky side of the tape not against the filter can help trap some pollen, dust, on the adhesive, which is a plus, with the flap, you only need to cut the tape where it's sealing the seams of the flap to get back in there. Next time Im in there, I may remove the 'flap' and take advantage of the tape sticky surface to catch pollen, not just the paper filter.

The glove box damper plunger in the left side of the glove box can be a bear to get off, and back on. Its usually laying on the floor after getting the glove box door swung down. Hard to get replaced when you didnt see where it came from, and how it attached. In some cases, it just gets left off, it just means you no longer have the 'soft open' feature the plunger provides. All in all, cabin filter is a good 'mod' to do.