Many trouble codes.....

suziandmikec

Re: Many trouble codes.....

Post by suziandmikec » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Now I'm waffling, maybe I'll do the alternator. Which do any of you think is the more likely culprit?

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:17 pm

How old is the battery?
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm

I have no idea, the date thing isn't punched out on it. Its whatever the ford battery is but I highly doubt its 13 or 14 years old. Previous owners were pretty old so they might have been using a dealer for all their services.

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Life just got complicated..... The guy whose van I've been borrowing just totaled the van. So I'm thinking I might take my car to a shop now unless a battery or something cheap will fix it.

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Friends gonna help me tow it to a shop and the shop will check it out Monday morning. Whatever they find I'll report here for reference in case anyone else ever has similar problems.

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am

So, just got a call back from the shop. They told me there is some sensor associated to the gas pedal which that has to be "synced" to the new throttle body and only a dealer can do this. Is there a poor mans way of doing this?

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:03 am

Here's a webpage I just found, is this legit or is it typical internet mumbo jumbo?

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/fo ... procedure/

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am

This one is slightly different. Its even colder now so I don't know that the AC will even kick on.

https://www.morepowertuning.com/how-to-idle-relearn

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:46 am

And this, I'll check my owners manual tonight and maybe try some of the other stuff above. Something has to work...

viewtopic.php?t=6807

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 pm

suziandmikec wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:03 am
Here's a webpage I just found, is this legit or is it typical internet mumbo jumbo?

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/fo ... procedure/
Drove it home from the shop and it ran like a top. I did this procedure first and on my test drive about and when I kicked the AC on (in the instructions) everything inside went dark and my headlights dimmed and the car started lurching. I'm about 99% positive its a bad alternator at this point because that lurching was exactly what happened on a previous car I had when the alternator died and I was driving on battery and the battery drained. So the car got towed BACK to the shop and the battery was dead enough that the hazard lights quit working before we even got there. I'm done working on this thing, time for a professional.

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Got the alternator changed and it cost me $340 which seems kind of excessive..... but I've been driving it for a couple days and it seems to be running better than it has in a while. I think the alternator was one problem and the throttle body was another and they played off each other. The throttle body I'm pretty sure was bad even though it didn't solve all my problems, the car accelerates smoother and seems less gutless at a stop sign on a steep hill near my house, just more pep in general, and it's much quieter. As you can see in my video, the old one sounded really bad.

So thank you all for all your help! It's been greatly appreciated.

Willass Maximus

Post by Willass Maximus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 am

Glad you got it figured out! I swear the whole time I was reading this I just had alternator screaming in my head. The alternator typically when it goes bad will not generate enough power for the car to run, which then drains the battery. Once the battery gets to a low enough point you can have a laundry list of electrical sensors that just go, "uhh, err, I'm broken". Makes sense that after you turned the AC on the power draw was just too much. Hard to know if the throttle body was bad but it's in there now!

suziandmikec

Post by suziandmikec » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am

I do think the throttle body was bad because the old one made a lot of nasty noises and the new one is almost silent. It's also just running better, I've got some steep hills near my house and just always thought the car was pretty gutless but with the new throttle body it pulls the hills easier.