Passsenger door lock not working as power lock - where to start?

lparsons

Passsenger door lock not working as power lock - where to start?

Post by lparsons » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 am

My 05 Freestyle limited has had problems with the passenger door lock for some time now. Originally it worked sporadically and often just shook when it was supposed to lock or unlock (rather than completing the movement up or down on its own). However several months ago it stopped working as a power lock completely. If it is unlocked, it does not lock with the other locks (including at speed). If it is locked, it does not unlock with the other locks (regardless of whether I use the fob or if I am using the switch on the driver's or passenger's door). It does however work just fine as a manual lock - if the door is locked the handle on the door will unlock it fine, and if the door is unlocked I can easily press down the lock nob to lock it.
I've never worked on a lock before. Are these difficult to work on? Are there some parts I should order up right away to try or should I be looking for something out of adjustment? Or is it too complicated to be worth my while? The car has ~170k miles on it if that makes a difference. The other locks - including the hatch - all work as expected. The passenger one though is particularly annoying if I am carrying something out to the car with me and I want to put it in the front passenger seat (as often happens when I have my sons with me).
Thank you!
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

ds32928

Re: Passsenger door lock not working as power lock - where to start?

Post by ds32928 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm

There is a lock actuator in each door. The one in the pass. door has failed. It could be an expensive job to have the dealer repair it. The part itself isnt too expensive, you can get them (made in china) on Ebay for $9 or so. Its the labor that runs the bill up. Get an estimate from the dealer and see if you want to pay to have them fix it. I havent got an estimate yet for my not unlocking rear passenger door. I glued a rubber cap to the manual 'push to lock' post that is inside, at the top of the door sill, so I can get ahold of it and pull it up manually from the inside reaching across from the working door.

The actuator is a motor held in a black plastic housing. That housing can be removed and replaced by a new one, but the door panel and possibly a inner panel needs to be removed to get access to the assembly that the acuator clips into. The assembly needs to be partially removed from the door par to get the actuator assembly out of it and the new one snapped in. Then everything put back together. Hence the labor. You can get a replacement actuator, or find a used complete assembly with its used actuator on Ebay, and buy a new replacement actuator there at the same time and have a shop put the new actuator in the used Ebay assembly and then exchange the assembly. No easy way to get it done. The old actuator can be fixed, but its a little tedius once its out, to un-screw the two halves and turn the stripped gear around on the motor shaft so the good part of that white colored gear meshes with the other output gear, and then screw the 2 halves back together. Best to put in a china one, or see what the dealer wants to make it work again. Good luck.

xvert

Post by xvert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 am

In a couple of days, I’ll receive a front passenger door lock actuator from China. I used the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... QlXOc2A2s to get to the actuator.
-756497778731777970.jpg
-756497778731777970.jpg (57.68 KiB) Viewed 240 times
how_to_remove_door_lock_actuator.jpg
how_to_remove_door_lock_actuator.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 219 times
The old actuator can be fixed, but its a little tedius once its out, to un-screw the two halves and turn the stripped gear around on the motor shaft so the good part of that white colored gear meshes with the other output gear, and then screw the 2 halves back together.
I heard that some mega-economical people just use the back end with brushes from the universal door actuator motor for ford / toyota / mazda ...
Attachments
-703041008-752637726.jpg
-703041008-752637726.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Last edited by xvert on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Thank you xvert! That looks pretty straightforward from the video, I'll order it up and try it in a couple weeks.
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)