If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Problem with CD changer? (e.g. bad disc error)

Duhey2

Problem with CD changer? (e.g. bad disc error)

Post by Duhey2 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:04 pm

There's a TSB out on it:

TSB 05-6-9

FORD: 2005 Five Hundred, Focus, Freestyle, Mustang, F-150
MERCURY: 2005 Montego

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Freestyle, Five Hundred/Montego vehicles built 5/17/2004 through 2/24/2005, and 2005 Mustang, Focus, F-150 vehicles, all vehicles equipped with a single or 6 disk CD player with MP3 capability, may exhibit one or more of the following intermittent CD player concerns.

CD player skips
Locks up when playing homemade CDs
Displays "Error" or "Bad Disc"
Will not accept CDs
CD inoperative or inconsistent playability of some CDRs.

ACTION:
Replace CD player with latest service level through your facing audio service center. When replacing the audio unit (radio) on 2005 Freestyle, Five Hundred, Montego and Mustang vehicles it is necessary to perform programmable module installation (PMI) prior to removal of the old audio unit. This information must be uploaded into the new audio unit once installed. Failure to perform PMI on the new audio unit may result in inoperative backlighting and/or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B2477. If communication cannot be established with old audio unit to download this information, as built data will need to be used. As built data can be obtained at the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website or at www.motorcraft.com. For additional information, refer Workshop Manual Section 415-01 and 418-01

AZ Freestylin'

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks for the information.

I had mine for three weeks and all I have played in my cd player has been homemade cd's and mp3's and no problems at all.

-Peter
Peter

05' SEL Norsea Blue / Light Gunmetal / Shale Cloth / FWD / DVD / Moonroof / Remote Starter and other cool things.

Duhey2

Post by Duhey2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:38 am

We're having issues with ours. My wife put in two brand new CD's from Best Buy and it acted up on both discs. Ours is an early production (VIN around 1500) so we definitely fall under this.

The Scotts

Post by The Scotts » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:18 pm

Just got our car today and loaded it with six store bought CDs and it skiped on and off during our 100 mile road trip.

Sounds like they they have to replace the entire head unit on the car to fix the problem?

Bet that is not a part they have at the parts counter :shock:

L0neStar

Even more issues to look out for after your unit is replaced

Post by L0neStar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:30 am

Our CD changer skipped constantly on discs that were fine everywhere else - even portable players. Had changer replaced with a brand new factory unit. CD's do not skip anymore... but since that time we have found two additional problems with discs we had not tried in the orignial player.

Here are the issues we currently have, after trying only 9 or 10 of our hundreds of factory CD's that play fine in every forum possible (gaming systems, computers, portable players, DVD players, etc...):

* One disk plays Track 1 fine, then goes to each Track in order, but instead of playing them it sits for a few seconds and moves on to the next Track without a sound, until it reaches the end of the disk. If you try to start the disk on any track other than Track 1, it says Bad Disk. We stuck this disk in another vehicle at the dealer that had an older changer and it immediately said Bad Disk. We put it in a SINGLE DISK player at the dealer and it played fine.

* Another disk plays perfectly, either all the way through or starting in the middle if we choose - but after shutting off the engine and resarting the car it always starts back at Track 1. In fact, we were able to see one time that it tried to start where it had left off - said Bad Disk - and, THEN went back to Track 1.

I am taking mine back to the Dealer today... again.

Just a couple more things you may want to watch out for.

FerretsRock

Re: Problem with CD changer? (e.g. bad disc error)

Post by FerretsRock » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 pm

I don't mean to bump an ancient thread or anyhting, but I was wondering since this is an acknowledged problem from Ford, does that mean I can take my Freestyle in to a dealer and they fix it or is this something I have to take care of out of pocket b/c the car is out of the warranty period?

I just got my '05 Freestyle about 2 months ago and this problem with the "Bad Disc" error just started to happen within the last week- doesn't matter what disc it is (commercial, burnt, mp3, etc.) either.

**UPDATE: I spoke with a Ford service rep and they said it's going to be an out-of-pocket expense for me. Does anyone have any idea about how much replacing something like this runs? If it matters, it's a 2005 SEL w/ 6 disc changer, rear DVD- the standard stuff I believe.

Scotty17

Re: Problem with CD changer? (e.g. bad disc error)

Post by Scotty17 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 am

2005 Freestyle SEL

My six disc player randomly skips and sometimes displays " Bad Disk" message. The
CDs are home made and some are original cd's have some issues. I have been doing
research and found that this is a common problem on Ford Freestyle CD players.

I even tried a CD cleaning disk which did help a bit skipping is still happening
also hearing a spinning sound over the speakers like the CD is warped, all of
my CD are in perfect conduction and I never leave them in the car especially when its hot out.

Is there a fix for this and is it happening on ALL Ford Freestyle's, sounds to me like a
CD player Ford Defect. I was wondering if anyone has found a fix. I was thinking about swapping the player out with another radio from another Freestyle I'm just concerned that I will have the same issue. I wonder if the 2006 and 2007 models having the same issue and can the cd player be but into a 05 model.

Also thinking about replacing the CD player with a after market unit the only thing is
I want to keep the Six disc function and also don't want to loose the steering wheel control functions.

Can someone recommend a good direct replacement model multi disk cd player.

Thanks !

Scott