Dash Cluster stuck

crash2458

Dash Cluster stuck

Post by crash2458 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:06 pm

We had some computer updates done to our 2005 Ford Freestyle to fix what appeared to be gremlins in our dash. The dash cluster would go haywire with the gauges moving randomly and all of the warning lights would flash intermittently. During these random issues the car would shudder and run terrible. They would magically clear up for a while and strike for no particular reason. We did take it to the dealership and they did some updates to the computer which did fix the issue. At the time of the updates the display showed the oil life at 0% or whatever the message says. Now the cluster is stuck on that message and we have not been able to get it to display the mileage. We have tried damn near everything suggested on different forums to no avail. The dealership is unwilling to help without paying their service fee even though this is clearly something they did. At this point I am just wondering what we can do to fix the issue outside of paying the stealership more money. Can we just replace the dash cluster with a different one? Will it display the mileage of the car it came out of? Will it do the same thing as our current cluster? The cluster has a single post to change the display and it beeps when pressed. It will also display other messages such as the washer fluid low message. We are stuck and looking for advice. Thanks in advance for any and all of your assistance.

DanfromSterling

Re: Dash Cluster stuck

Post by DanfromSterling » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:06 am

You could just buy another speedometer on ebay and swap out. See if that works should be able to find one for around $50. Keep your old one for the bulbs in the future. Mileage is stored in the computer so when new one is in will display mileage from the computer.

* buy 2006 or 2007 and not 2005

3 different parts depending on model of vehicle make sure you get correct one.

If you look for bathtub solder you will fine issue you are having which need to solder connections. This is issue on 2005* models.

crash2458

Post by crash2458 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:35 pm

So when I do a part searh for my VIN it lists the part number for my cluster as 5f9z-10849-na but I cannot find any clusters with that exact part nunber. Does anyone know of any part numbers that may cross reference with this one? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

J

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:08 pm

On a working cluster, this is the method for resetting oil life.
http://resetservicelight.com/reset-oil- ... freestyle/

Ive never had my cluster out, but there are threads in this forum about trouble with dash clusters, some have removed their clusters, and you may see if there is a ribbon cable, etc, that can be re-seated in its ribbon socket.

As far as cluster part number, I cant see why a cluster from a Limited wont work in another Limited, or a cluster from a SEL wont work in another SEL. 2005 clusters did have a problem with bad solder joints. See what the forum here has to say about them and if anyone switched to a used newer year replacement, staying with SEL or Limited model to match what they have.

EDIT: a quick search found this on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Vuvmj7pxrw

One suggestion was alternator, or basically low battery voltage. If it was me, I would go to a chain auto store, (or call first), and ask them if they can check your charging system with their tester. I would do this before I buy a used cluster, even knowing you have a 2005, where some had cluster problems.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 am

Is your FS an SE model? Or SEL? Because the reset procedure for each is different.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

crash2458

Post by crash2458 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:39 pm

I have tried the reset procedures and cannot get it to clear. I haven't been able to see the mileage in two years. It absolutely refuses. I can hold the post in and it beeps but changes nothing. I can occasionally get it to go into diagnostic mode but it goes right back to the oil change reminder. This is such a weird issue and I haven't been able to diagnose it. i did check several solder joints and reflowed a couple of them but this was all prior to taking it to the dealership where they did the updates that appears to have caused the problem. I can pick up a used cluster for around 50 bucks and if I could make it work that way I would. I just don't want to buy a 50 dollar paperweight.

2005 Ford Freestyle
VIN: 1FMDK04165GA02263
SE; 6 Cyl 3.0L DOHC EFI Modular; CVT Select Shift Transmission; Four-Wheel Drive (Part Time)

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 am

OK on the SE, you press the button until you reach the oil change %, then press and hold until it beeps. Then release and press again until it resets the % to 100.

crash2458

Post by crash2458 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm

I may not have been clear so let me try to explain. The message does not change from the oil life message by pushing the button, EVER. My cluster has the post that you push to reset and toggle through the menu. The cluster will beep but will never change when I push the post. It will change momentarily to other messages such as doors and low fluids but it absolutely will not change when I push the post. This is why it is so strange and appears to be locked on the message. This happened after some ECU updates at the dealer and they take no responsibility. At this point I am willing to pay for a used cluster that is functional if that is an option. I just want to verify that this will work and that I get the correct cluster replacement. Thanks as always for the assistance.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:48 am

So, with the key on, if you push and hold the button until it beeps, let go, then press and hold again, will it reset to 100%?

crash2458

Post by crash2458 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Well I pulled the cluster to get any part numbers off of it and now it is non-functional. the only thing that lights up is the airbag warning is on all the time and a red lock icon that blinks every couple of seconds. Attempts to reaseat the cable and check for loose connections don't make a difference. this car must have gremlins.