If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Storage compartment top middle of dash

lparsons

Storage compartment top middle of dash

Post by lparsons » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 am

This might not be the right description for it, but the small storage compartment on the top of the dash - well above the radio, up near the windshield - that opens with a single button has been broken in our Freestyle for years. I was thinking of fixing it but I can't figure out a way to search for the part (even on rock auto).

Right now if we press the mechanical button to open it, the lid does not pop up. I presume there is a spring in there or something else that should pop it up that is broken. Anyone know what I should look at replacing and where I can get it? Rock Auto lists a "center console hinge" under interior but that does not seem to be it - I'm pretty sure that hinge is for the console between the driver and front passenger seat which is not what I'm looking for - does anyone have an idea on what I need to replace and where to find it? I don't mind ordering from a boneyard somewhere if I can come up with a description that would be unambiguous in a search.

thank you!
05 Freestyle Limited AWD - dark red (wife's car)
02 VW Passat W8 - all black (my car)

jas88

Re: Storage compartment top middle of dash

Post by jas88 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am

There is a thread on here somewhere from years ago where somebody repaired theirs. There is a spring and what happens is that it jumps out of or breaks the stop on one end. If you pull that compartment out of the dash, I am sure you will be able to find the problem.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm

If you search ford freestyle dash bin some should come up. Can only buy at Ford dealership or used. Bin breaks due to weak spot on the top bin piece at the hinge area on the plastic. I have fixed mine in past taking apart then rebounding these broken pieces with jb weld. Good luck.

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am

I resolved the problem today. I found someone who was parting out a freebie in my area that had the same color interior so I bought the compartment from him (actually he gave it to me for free as his was slightly broken - though less broken than mine!).

For anyone who might be looking to do this in the future, I followed the directions from a youtube video of how to remove the stereo, that got me through getting to the screws to take out the storage compartment. Basically open the lid, then pull hard on the front trim (the large bezel that reaches all the way down past the stereo and HVAC controls) until it comes out. That makes the 2 screws accessible that keep the compartment in place.

As to how ours broke, I have no idea really. We bought our 05 limited used from a dealer and it broke maybe a week or two after we bought the car. Dealer (back in NY state, not the one that works on the car for us here in MN) gave us the runaround so we gave up on it years ago. In our case all three of the plastic parts that guide the lid up (including the toothed one in the middle) were broken. Who knows what the previous owner did that caused that. It was in such awful shape all it took to remove the lid was push the button then it fell right out. The compartment still had to be removed of course. For at least 60k miles we just never opened the compartment. Now I can put ... small stuff I guess ... into that compartment.

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 am

Here is what it looked like when I removed the broken compartment. The toothed central part of the hinge broke off completely (seen above the two main parts ) and the end parts both lost their own ends. Pretty much a total failure of the hinge.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:27 am

How did you get the compartment opened if the button broke? Mine is broke but I can't figure out how to get it opened now.

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 am

In my case the button itself wasn't broken; the hinges were. I was able to press the button down, and then use a knife blade to pry the lid up. It wasn't elegant but it worked well enough to get it out and replace it. Not sure if that will help if the button itself is broken; I've never seen that before. I'd expect you should be able to figure out some way to release it from the top while prying to get it open.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Yes it is the hinges for the button that are (two of the four). Where did you place the knife to pry it open? directly under the button itself? Sorry for my stupid questions.

lparsons

Post by lparsons » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah I pried under the edge furthest from the windshield, as it hinges from the edge closest to the windshield. Very little force is required to pry it, the lid hardly weighs anything. In my case I had to hold down the button while starting to pry the lid up in order to get it to move, once it released it was no problem.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:23 pm

lparsons wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 am
In my case the button itself wasn't broken; the hinges were. I was able to press the button down, and then use a knife blade to pry the lid up. It wasn't elegant but it worked well enough to get it out and replace it. Not sure if that will help if the button itself is broken; I've never seen that before. I'd expect you should be able to figure out some way to release it from the top while prying to get it open.
Yes it is the hinges for the button that are (two of the four). Where did you place the knife to pry it open? directly under the button itself? Sorry for my stupid questions.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:00 pm

lparsons wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:13 pm
Yeah I pried under the edge furthest from the windshield, as it hinges from the edge closest to the windshield. Very little force is required to pry it, the lid hardly weighs anything. In my case I had to hold down the button while starting to pry the lid up in order to get it to move, once it released it was no problem.
The button won't depress and I don't see the broken "prongs or hinges" from the button in there. Any other ideas. I have a set of keys in there I have go to get out.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am

I'm doing this partially from memory so I hope I have this right - you do not need to open the door on that compartment to remove the entire thing. You just grab the bezel below it (with the a/c vents and radio in it) and pull it toward you which will reveal two 8mm screws that you remove. Then you lift the entire assembly out from the front and pull it toward you.

Once you have it out, you may be able to sneak a stiff wire or thin screwdriver in there and release the latch. It pivots away from the front to release when the button is pushed, so, ostensibly, you can get something on the latch hook and push it forward, you should be able to unlatch it.

Worse case you drill a big hole in the bottom with a hole saw to get your keys out.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am

Lots of replacement parts available in salvage yards.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Thank you all for your input. We were able to get it open without breaking anything so I appreciate it very much! Just pried under the lid to expose the metal latch it hooks to and unlocked it. My kids had crammed some jewelry in it and that is what had it jammed/also broke the hinges on the button but it does still work now that it's released.