If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Wiper pump still not working... argghh

Freestylininon

Wiper pump still not working... argghh

Post by Freestylininon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 am

Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 Limited and I'm trying to correct a problem with the wiper pump not working.

-I have checked the fuse.. its fine.
-I figured the pump was done based on the fuse being okay and age of the vehicle. So I purchased a new pump. During the install and removal of the old unit I noticed the original pump was extremely clean and no junk on the filter screen (things which you typically dont have with a bad pump).
-new pump doesnt work either
-check wiper fluid lines and no clog at spray dispensor, checked line connection in another spot and no fluid pumping at all.
-Weird thing is my wipers run without the fuse, full functionallity. My impression from reading posts on this subject is the pump and blades share the same fuse.

So now all I can think of is the new pump isnt working properly or I have a wiring problem.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

pmassey31545

Re: Wiper pump still not working... argghh

Post by pmassey31545 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Have you tried applying 12 volts directly to the pump to make sure it works?

Have you done any other work recently that would cause it to short or ground somewhere?
2007 Limited AWD
2009 Ford Flex SEL, 2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

brad e

Post by brad e » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:29 am

Hi Freestylininon,

My first check would be to disconnect the electrical connector at the pump and to check for current (when the switch is activated) at the connector using a multimeter or test light. That will tell you if the problem is at the pump or back upstream. If there is current at the connector, then as pmassey31545 suggest, test the pump directly.

A few weeks ago Webmaster posted a link to a website that has the wiring diagrams available, for free no less! These should help you trace the problem should you find you have no current at the connector.

http://revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Ditto use a DVOM, test light, or power probe tool, check for 12v AND good ground to the motor. It should have 12v with washer activated.

The wipers are on a different circuit that the washer
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT

Freestylininon

Post by Freestylininon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I corrected the issue by a complete fluke.

I replaced the --REAR-- wiper MOTOR and now my --FRONT-- wiper PUMP works fine. Obviously the electrical is connected. I had not seen anything about that in all my research. I knew the pump operated both front and rear wipers but didnt even think the electrical would be connected and that a rear wiper motor would interupt the function on my front pump... but nothing surprises me with this car. lol

Sharkbyte

Post by Sharkbyte » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:01 pm

I have lost both front and rear pumps on my 2005 Freestyle. Turns out the electrical shows the washer pumps are controlled through a relay in the rear wiper module. To fix this I have been directed to replace the rear wiper to get the front washer and rear working again.
Attachments
Electrical for Wiper pump.pdf
Freestyle front and rear pump electrical1
(366.86 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Electrical for Wiper pump 3.pdf
Freestyle front and rear pump electrical3
(384.84 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Electrical for Wiper pump 2.pdf
Freestyle front and rear pump electrical2
(261.2 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 pm

There is only one washer pump on my 2005. It is located at the bottom of the windshield washer reservoir, and has two outlets - one for the front, and one for the back.

I have a copy of the FSM for the 2005/2006 Ford Lineup, I'll pull the relevant pages for the washer pump and post them here.
2005_Freestyle_Washer_Pump_explodedview.JPG
2005_Freestyle_Washer_Pump_explodedview.JPG (65.46 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Front Wipers and Washers (81-1).JPG
Front Wipers and Washers (81-1).JPG (67.92 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Front Wipers and Washers (81-2).JPG
Front Wipers and Washers (81-2).JPG (43.05 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Rear Wipers and Washer (82-1).JPG
Rear Wipers and Washer (82-1).JPG (62.3 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Rear Wipers and Washer (82-2).JPG
Rear Wipers and Washer (82-2).JPG (37.43 KiB) Viewed 459 times

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:11 pm

The washer pump on the Freestyle is a two-way design. You will not have a dedicated "hot" and "ground" at the washer pump. If you apply voltage and ground, the motor will spin and output on one pipe, if you reverse voltage and ground it will spin opposite and output on the other pipe.

The washer pump straddles the connection between the front wiper module and the rear wiper module. At rest, a relay in the rear wiper module connects washer pump pin 2 (VT/LG wire) to ground, and the relay in the front wiper module connects washer pump pin 1 (BK/WH wire) to GND. So at rest, both wiper motor connections should be connected to ground.

When you operate the front washer, a relay in the front module disconnects pin 1 from ground, and connects to battery power via fuse F1.37 (30 amp). This fuse also supplies power to the front wiper motor inside the module.

When you operate the rear washer, a relay in the rear module disconnects pin 2 from ground, and connects to battery power via fuse F1.39 (25 amp). This fuse also supplies power to the rear wiper motor inside the module.

For me, step one would be to test each pin of the wiper motor plug. Make sure both pins are connected to ground. If one pin does NOT connect to ground, that's the circuit I would focus on.

If both pins DO connect to ground, have a partner operate the front washer switch.
[*]Washer pump pin 1 (BK/WH wire) should now have battery voltage.
If it does not, trace the circuit up through the module. On the front wiper module, Pin 7 is the wire going to the washer pump. Does it have battery voltage?
[*]Pins 8 and 5 should have battery voltage when the front washer or wiper is on. Pins 6 and 3 should be connected to ground at all times. If these wires are not connected as described, fix the broken wire further upstream. If the pins are connected as described, the front wiper module is faulty.
If Washer pump pin 1 is still connected to ground, or does not connect to battery voltage when the front washer is operated, one of the relays inside the front wiper module are faulty.